Not open for further replies.
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Keep in mind now that I also own a Massimo MSU 500.

Have a 15 ton pile of base in driveway, which is a mixture of rock and sand for roads.

Didn't matter how I loaded the bed of my Massimo, one pull of the lever and she shoots up in the air and dumps.

I just spent the last two grueling hours loading and then unloading by shovel because the bed will not tilt!

It's off-center or the pivot points are not where they need to be! The manual of course says when loading to push everything as far back as possible for center gravity.

I had the entire bed full of rock, completely level from front to back, not heavier in one spot or another. When I unlatched the bed it would not budge and all of my weight, and I'm a pretty strong guy, couldn't budge it.

I than lowered the tailgate and shifted the load by shovel to where two thirds on the weight was on the back end of he bed PLUS on the tailgate and one third front of center. Still it wouldn't budge!!

It is definitely unlatching I can see that, it's just not centered right.

I did three loads in a row and by the third load I saw myself putting most of the weight towards the tailgate. Still no help.

The only way I could get it to work was to go up the incline to where I was sitting at a 45° angle backwards and then when I unlatched it PLUS pulling up it finally went.

This is a major issue for me because I do a heck of a lot of hauling with dirt and rock.

I am now back to using my Massimo, loaded it up ridiculously one sided towards front of center and once again when I hit the latch she popped right up in the air.

Obviously, the engineers have designed this without actually loading it with heavy rock!!!!

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
At the risk of sounding mean. Your expectations of a machine is kinda ridiculous. You want smooth quiet 5 seater with gobs of power. You want the absolute perfect top for what you specifically do because you don't want to open and close the doors repeatedly. And you also want it to stay dry all the time because you don't have adequate storage for it. I mean the perfect machine doesn't exist. That's why farmers have trucks, tractors, combines etc. no one machine will perform all tasks perfectly. Right tool for the job as they say.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
At the risk of sounding mean. Your expectations of a machine is kinda ridiculous. You want smooth quiet 5 seater with gobs of power. You want the absolute perfect top for what you specifically do because you don't want to open and close the doors repeatedly. And you also want it to stay dry all the time because you don't have adequate storage for it. I mean the perfect machine doesn't exist. That's why farmers have trucks, tractors, combines etc. no one machine will perform all tasks perfectly. Right tool for the job as they say.

LOL. When it comes to a dump trailer actually dumping, I have to totally disagree with you. That's not seeking perfection, but seeking the basic operation of the utility vehicle. I can't actually believe that you would think for a second, that it's OK not to have a dump trailer dump while it has a load?

Hmmmmmm

Reactions: jondevil and scott
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3

And for $23,000???? You dang right my expectations are REALLY REALLY high, just like the price tag!

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
And for $23,000???? You dang right my expectations are REALLY REALLY high, just like the price tag!

Maybe you should have researched the vehicle more then. It sounds like you had a good idea of how it would be used prior to purchase. I'm merely pointing out the P1K is a very good all around machine. It's not the best utility vehicle and it's also not the best sport vehicle. And please do not resort to challenging my intelligence as to how a dump bed should operate. But reading your posts for the last few days, I gather you're the type of individual that throws a fit if you order water without lemon, and they put a lemon in it... Enjoy the holiday weekend and Hopefully you can find something you actually like about the Pioneer to justify your purchase.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Maybe you should have researched the vehicle more then. It sounds like you had a good idea of how it would be used prior to purchase. I'm merely pointing out the P1K is a very good all around machine. It's not the best utility vehicle and it's also not the best sport vehicle. And please do not resort to challenging my intelligence as to how a dump bed should operate. But reading your posts for the last few days, I gather you're the type of individual that throws a fit if you order water without lemon, and they put a lemon in it... Enjoy the holiday weekend and Hopefully you can find something you actually like about the Pioneer to justify your purchase.

Not to sound mean, but that just a dumb thing to say. How exactly would one go about checking out the dump capabilities of the bed? Ask the dealer if it's OK to load 1000 pounds of rock on it and try dumping it first?

I didn't buy this thing to joyride and that's what it sounds like you bought yours for. I'm glad it fits a purpose for you.

Me? I bought this thing to work it. And if you actually use it to work and not play, you would understand things like getting out of it 20 times in 10 minutes.

I hate to remind you, but work is what this thing was specifically made for (if you want to play, there's many sports models available) but when you put a dump utility bed on it, that pretty much sums up what it is designed to do.

And there is no sense in me trying out the dump trailer because every other dump trailer that I have ever used, including cheap ones for a lawnmower have never had a problem dumping when you release the handle.

In short, that's an absolute total given!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Sounds to me you should have spent 15K on a small tractor with front end loader then you would not have to move from the drivers seat at all, not to mention no shoveling at all.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
You're correct, I bought mine specifically for hunting and fishing. But also to competently handle trails to get where I need to go at a reasonable pace. I did not buy it for complete utility. There are many many other options out there for straight up utility machines. But with those you sacrifice performance in other areas. Right tool for the right job. The P1K is not the best utility machine available.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I see all yall points but i have to say i would want the dang bed to dump also.. Granted that's a lot of weight to dump and the beds on these pioneers 700 and 1000 aren't air or hydraulic dump beds, and that's asking a lot of the 1000's dump bed to dump 1000 lbs of rock. They could of added all that but that's more weight and money. I hope you can figure something out because unloading all that by hand would suck. I've had about 200 lbs of wood and my 700 dumped, but i've only used the dump bed a few times in over 2 years. I bought mine for hunting and working on the hunting land,,trail ride like twice a year.

advertisement
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
ididn't buy this thing to joyride and that's what it sounds like you bought yours for. I'm glad it fits a purpose for you.

Me? I bought this thing to work it. And if you actually use it to work and not play, you would understand things like getting out of it 20 times in 10 minutes.

I hate to remind you, but work is what this thing was specifically made for (if you want to play, there's many sports models available) but when you put a dump utility bed on it, that pretty much sums up what it is designed to do.
!
you've made three points.

1 you didn't buy this to joyride.
2 you bought this for work
3 and you think it was specifically made for work.

1. we dont really care if you did or didnt. thats up to you. i bought a ranger 570 crew a year back literally to joyride. it was a terrible choice in machine, and i should have bought the rzr 900 instead.
2. which is why you bought the 5 seater. for all the work? the can am defender and polaris ranger both would have been much much better choices. they are geared low like tractors. im wondering why you bought a machine as sporty as this if you bought it ONLY to work in. why did you get the 5 seater instead of the 3 seater? the bed design is superior for working and carrying gear. as someone else stated, a loader would have been a much much better rig anyways. ive worked out of a polaris, and it would dump a bed full of gravel, but you had to really lift it. it doesnt have piston actuators... it has struts, which help reduce the load. you still have 1000 pounds of gravel in the bed. also, both a defnder or ranger have LARGER beds. your whole argument is buying a yamaha wolverine, or polaris general and saying you didnt buy it to have fun or go wheeling in. thats pretty stupid and clearly a lie.
3. this machine is not a pure utility. it is a sporty crossover, much like the wolverine. the can am defender is pure utility. the ranger is utility, the mule is utility. You are now asking the pioneer, which is not a pure sport rig nor a pure utility, to outperform a near tractor at tractorlike utilities?

getting in and out 20 times in ten minutes? i do that on the trail more than you should if your working. what job would have you getting out of your rig every thirty seconds? its faster to just walk. seems like a over dramatic way of saying you get in and out alot. well. the polaris ranger hard doors are a freaking nightmare. we have a farm i work alot on. those doors are garbage. the can am commanders hard doors are trash. latches break all the time. our dealer doesnt have a single door with a good latch.

im still wondering why you spent 21k dollars on a machine designed to go play just as much if not MORE than work, when you could have bought a suburban. that thing would have out performed this machine in every single way including price.

your upset with a machine for no reason. you want the thing to perform like a tractor when you work, a swamp buggy when you mud, and a lambo when you drive.

well a swamp buggy would suck for work, as would a lambo. a lambo would suck for mudding as would a tractor(debatable), and a tractor would suck for driving, as would a buggy.

you dont get everything dude. and you dont got to be rude to people that put their .2 cents in on the forum that is designed for people to share their views. their views are different than yours.

also my bed dumps heavy loads pretty good. my problem is the garbage cab getting in the way.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I use the dump bed a lot and it irritates me that it won't dump medium loads with me pushing all I can. Heavy loads you can forget it.

I have two tractors with loaders, and use them a lot. One is a 52HP and the other is 23HP. However, the P1000 can maneuver in tight places and it's easy on the delicate ground. So, like the OP said, I usually break out the shovel :(

Sent from my iPad 7G

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I agree, the dump bed is useless. More like it is a cosmetic installment then a working bump bed.
15-20, heck even 100+ pounds in the back, the bed should not need assistance to self dump. Honestly, I don't thank mine will dump on its own empty.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Reactions: Plumber101010
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I agree, the dump bed is useless. More like it is a cosmetic installment then a working bump bed.
15-20, heck even 100+ pounds in the back, the bed should not need assistance to self dump. Honestly, I don't thank mine will dump in its own empty.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Mine gets snagged on the cab. The straps on the rear panel. I've had 300 pounds and dumped it pretty easily after I moved the cab stuff out of the way. I did have to assist. Is some of our beds dumping worse than others? Maybe we should all fill them with gravel and see if some are better?

Reactions: Hondasxs
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Mine wouldn't budge this with me pushing.

F45f1a4ee048363bd8e363c2eaa9ef4d

Notice how I loaded it heavy in the back? I do that to help with unloading.

Sent from my iPad 7G

Reactions: Tot
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was worthless on the 700-4 with the bars and roof I couldn't use the FEL to fill it. It wouldn't dump either.

The dump trailer is much bigger capacity and way more accessible.

I'll be using it for gravel and landscape maintenance around the house.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I didn't
you've made three points.

1 you didn't buy this to joyride.
2 you bought this for work
3 and you think it was specifically made for work.

1. we dont really care if you did or didnt. thats up to you. i bought a ranger 570 crew a year back literally to joyride. it was a terrible choice in machine, and i should have bought the rzr 900 instead.
2. which is why you bought the 5 seater. for all the work? the can am defender and polaris ranger both would have been much much better choices. they are geared low like tractors. im wondering why you bought a machine as sporty as this if you bought it ONLY to work in. why did you get the 5 seater instead of the 3 seater? the bed design is superior for working and carrying gear. as someone else stated, a loader would have been a much much better rig anyways. ive worked out of a polaris, and it would dump a bed full of gravel, but you had to really lift it. it doesnt have piston actuators... it has struts, which help reduce the load. you still have 1000 pounds of gravel in the bed. also, both a defnder or ranger have LARGER beds. your whole argument is buying a yamaha wolverine, or polaris general and saying you didnt buy it to have fun or go wheeling in. thats pretty stupid and clearly a lie.
3. this machine is not a pure utility. it is a sporty crossover, much like the wolverine. the can am defender is pure utility. the ranger is utility, the mule is utility. You are now asking the pioneer, which is not a pure sport rig nor a pure utility, to outperform a near tractor at tractorlike utilities?

getting in and out 20 times in ten minutes? i do that on the trail more than you should if your working. what job would have you getting out of your rig every thirty seconds? its faster to just walk. seems like a over dramatic way of saying you get in and out alot. well. the polaris ranger hard doors are a freaking nightmare. we have a farm i work alot on. those doors are garbage. the can am commanders hard doors are trash. latches break all the time. our dealer doesnt have a single door with a good latch.

im still wondering why you spent 21k dollars on a machine designed to go play just as much if not MORE than work, when you could have bought a suburban. that thing would have out performed this machine in every single way including price.

your upset with a machine for no reason. you want the thing to perform like a tractor when you work, a swamp buggy when you mud, and a lambo when you drive.

well a swamp buggy would suck for work, as would a lambo. a lambo would suck for mudding as would a tractor(debatable), and a tractor would suck for driving, as would a buggy.

you dont get everything dude. and you dont got to be rude to people that put their .2 cents in on the forum that is designed for people to share their views. their views are different than yours.

also my bed dumps heavy loads pretty good. my problem is the garbage cab getting in the way.

Didn't buy the 1000-5. Bought the 1000EPS Where did you derive I purchased a 1000-5? It's not in any of my posts at all?

The rest im just not going to answer. To defend a dump bed that doesn't dump, says it all to me..

Reactions: hurld and jondevil
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds to me you should have spent 15K on a small tractor with front end loader then you would not have to move from the drivers seat at all, not to mention no shoveling at all.

And if I had to haul rock the rest of my life I would have. These are one time projects and once done then I do get to enjoy a little play as well as year round work with little stuff like firewood and hay but not heavy loads like rock. Tractor has no place here. The Honda does.

advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.