Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Very nice response from Mark in Iowa. Mark in Iowa do you frame grounds or go back to the negative post from the primary battery? Thanks in advance. Bumperm is spot on and making sure you have the right gauge wires for the hookup.
The plan,
aux. bat. neg. will use the extra ground cable under the hood, so I guess you could say that will be frame ground. The winch contactor pos. and neg. will hook direct to aux. bat. pos. and neg. The acc. fuse box neg., will be direct from aux. bat. neg.
If I need any other large neg. or pos. connection, I would probably get me a set of these.
Buckslayr,
My emergency bypass switch is similar to this one.
500amp temporary, 100amp continuous
Have a good day

Reactions: Lady01
B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The plan,
aux. bat. neg. will use the extra ground cable under the hood, so I guess you could say that will be frame ground. The winch contactor pos. and neg. will hook direct to aux. bat. pos. and neg. The acc. fuse box neg., will be direct from aux. bat. neg.
If I need any other large neg. or pos. connection, I would probably get me a set of these.
Buckslayr,
Have a good day
Heres
Mine
The plan,
Buckslayr,
Have a good day
i was going to get one like that too, but have the one I ordered on combine and semis, thanks

26EC2B9F 6100 4C62 9A2A 1CF8DA3F74CE

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I beg to differ here, when the wind is blowin 20 and its -20 doing anything outside can be a real ******.I'd much rather run 2 short heavy wires to a shut off switch. up here thats more important then a lot of other accessories.I hope I never have to use it, but if I do I'll know I'll be out of the wind trying to start it.I can see how this would be overkill to most of you, but not this old guy. thanks for the input guys, its always appreciated
I still suggest installing a high end main battery. Thats what all the guys do up where my brother is in northern BC. The only switch you will be flipping is the ignition.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I'd be more inclined to use a LiFePO4 rather than the lithium ion. True, not quite as much energy, but avoids the "Chevy Volt & Tesla" uncommanded camp fire issue.

If you use a solenoid, (intermittent duty rated for the required high starter current), under the hood to jump the batteries, there's no need to run heavy wire and battery connect switch to the panel. A "regular" switch and light gauge wire controls the solenoid.

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I'd be more inclined to use a LiFePO4 rather than the lithium ion. True, not quite as much energy, but avoids the "Chevy Volt & Tesla" uncommanded camp fire issue.

If you use a solenoid, (intermittent duty rated for the required high starter current), under the hood to jump the batteries, there's no need to run heavy wire and battery connect switch to the panel. A "regular" switch and light gauge wire controls the solenoid.
Good idea, thanks

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like a good battery, thanks

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Didn't say you couldn't install one. I said it should not be common to need it.
If your primary battery is letting you down, it wont be long before your second does as well.
Just adds more wiring to what many have as an over complicated dual battery setup already.
I hear you on complicated wiring, I just added one cable and a switch, I have a labeled coming to clean up this mess,now my booster is in the cubby hole, took me about half an hour and 17 dollar switch,hope I never need it

0E501492 97EF 4FDF A3E1 DD75E7A413C2 842AD3E0 EC7D 45AD A414 D8147056BCDB

advertisement
B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had to use this the other day,man it worked great,I'm guessing I need a new main battery.mine is a 17 model so I dont think it owes me anything, -10 temp and -20 windchill, sat outside for a couple days without being started. when I went to start it , it turned over slow and started but died, then nothing but a click click click when I hit the starter, reached in cubby and turned switch and voila, turned like it was warm and started right up, reached in cubby and turned switch off.really have a piece of mind up here now that I know it works, new main battery and I hope I dont have to use it again for years,I hope!just thought Id report on how it works, safe riding all, I'm off to AZ tomorrow for a few weeks.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had to use this the other day,man it worked great

'17 !! Yeah, time to replace the main! Glad that switched battery gave you the needed boost. Now clean up that wiring and be quick about it before you get queer electrons that go around blowing fuses. :)

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
give me a recommendation for new main battery,I'll put it in when I get back.here's the old girl patiently waiting for me to get home,I'll put here in the shed while I'm gone though, she might get covered with snow,Ha

IMG 8185

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
'17 !! Yeah, time to replace the main! Glad that switched battery gave you the needed boost. Now clean up that wiring and be quick about it before you get queer electrons that go around blowing fuses. :)
I did clean it up already, still not great but at least I labled the wires so I know what goes where, thanks