Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not knowing how your system is connected. If you do not already have a backup bypass switch in place, you could just use jumper cables between your 2 batteries. Positive to Positive, negative to negative, essentially turning them into a parallel battery system.
Here is an example of what I have been drawing up for mine, when It gets warm enough to work on. No, it is not complete, it is a work in progress, and still missing a bunch of things. The emergency bypass is on the bottom, and all it does is connect both batteries together.
Have a good day
I see Rayger143 posted as I was typing

Emergency by pass

Last edited:
B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not knowing how your system is connected. If you do not already have a backup bypass switch in place, you could just use jumper cables between your 2 batteries. Positive to Positive, negative to negative, essentially turning them into a parallel battery system.
Here is an example of what I have been drawing up for mine, when It gets warm enough to work on. No, it is not complete, it is a work in progress, and still missing a bunch of things. The emergency bypass is on the bottom, and all it does is connect both batteries together.
Have a good day
I see Rayger143 posted as I was typing

View attachment 311827
I have the isolator hooked already,so basically I just need +to + to an emergency bypass switch In cab?

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I have the isolator hooked already,so basically I just need +to + to an emergency bypass switch In cab?
Yes. But this shouldn't be common.
Did you have a leftover wire from the isolator install? Thrown that in your glove box. If ever needed. Just place it on the isolator post to jump it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes. But this shouldn't be common.
Did you have a leftover wire from the isolator install? Thrown that in your glove box. If ever needed. Just place it on the isolator post to jump it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Why wouldn’t I want this to a switch in the cab to use when needed, I wouldn’t need it often but when I’m out and it’s 20 below it would be nice to throw a switch if needed?

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Already this year while deer hunting I thought I was gonna need a boost,luckily it fired up,it was -18 with a wind, I wouldn’t have wanted to stand out in it and hook up a wire outside,🤷🏼‍♂️

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Why wouldn’t I want this to a switch in the cab to use when needed, I wouldn’t need it often but when I’m out and it’s 20 below it would be nice to throw a switch if needed?
Didn't say you couldn't install one. I said it should not be common to need it.
If your primary battery is letting you down, it wont be long before your second does as well.
Just adds more wiring to what many have as an over complicated dual battery setup already.

Last edited:
B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Didn't say you couldn't install one. I said it should not be common to need it.
If your primary battery is letting you down, it wont be long before your second does as well.
Just adds more wiring to what many have as a over complicated dual battery setup already.
I don’t think I’d need it very often, but if I did a switch would be nice in ND weather👍🏻

advertisement
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
For anyone not wanting to add a switch and wiring, you can pick these up for under $4 for the pair and grab a short piece of wire to create a jumper cable for your isolator (or a longer piece if you don't have an isolator): El cheapo clamps from Amazon

Reactions: Lady01
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
So I wired SAE Charging cable ports to each battery individually so I could charge one or the other and (if Isolator goes gunny), but really just intended to add power ports for misc. 12 volt doo- dads we use while riding.
The collateral outcome was I also made an SAE cable I can plug into both ports to tie the batteries (jump) together, if necessary.
YMMV

View attachment 311908
You're likely to melt that small wire gauge if used for jumping, too many starting amps.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
So I wired SAE Charging cable ports to each battery individually so I could charge one or the other and (if Isolator goes gunny),
If the isolator were to wig out, all you'd need to do is jump the two posts on the isolator while charging one battery. No real need to have charging cable ports on both batteries. But, hey, to each their own.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I wired SAE Charging cable ports to each battery individually so I could charge one or the other and (if Isolator goes gunny), but really just intended to add power ports for misc. 12 volt doo- dads we use while riding.
The collateral outcome was I also made an SAE cable I can plug into both ports to tie the batteries (jump) together, if necessary.
YMMV
While access jacks (12V DC outlet) is handy (I have one as shown below), they are not usually wired with heavy enough cable for the potential current demand for jump starting a battery. As an example, 12 ga wire is typically used for up to 20 -25 amps. That'll be fine for trickle charging a battery or wiring a big LED light bar, but nothing close to adequate for jump starting. Shown in pic, I have my outside aux plug wired with 8 ga, as I want to use it to run an air compressor as well as a convenient trickle charge port. The single port charges both batteries through the True isolator.

My preference for jumping is to do as Hondasxs suggested, Make a short jumper to connect the two big terminals on the True isolator - - done. Okay, why not put a shorting (jumper) switch on the dash? One reason is it won't get used much and takes up space you might want to use for other accessories. Another, perhaps more practical reason, is you cannot put that kind of current through a common rocker switch, so you will have to use either a remote heavy duty relay, or install your big switch on the dash with heavy cable going to that switch - doable, but none of the options for dash mounting seem worth the trouble to me when a short cable with two clips will do the deed with ease, if lacking a bit in finesse.

20210717 165949

U

Ugly

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Very nice respose from Mark in Iowa. Mark in Iowa do you frame grounds or go back to the negative post from the primary battery? Thanks in advance. Bumperm is spot on and making sure you have the right gauge wires for the hookup.

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you considered upgrading your main battery? Or have you done this?
main battery is good but when it gets cold I just want some insurance I can use the aux I have too!

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While access jacks (12V DC outlet) is handy (I have one as shown below), they are not usually wired with heavy enough cable for the potential current demand for jump starting a battery. As an example, 12 ga wire is typically used for up to 20 -25 amps. That'll be fine for trickle charging a battery or wiring a big LED light bar, but nothing close to adequate for jump starting. Shown in pic, I have my outside aux plug wired with 8 ga, as I want to use it to run an air compressor as well as a convenient trickle charge port. The single port charges both batteries through the True isolator.

My preference for jumping is to do as Hondasxs suggested, Make a short jumper to connect the two big terminals on the True isolator - - done. Okay, why not put a shorting (jumper) switch on the dash? One reason is it won't get used much and takes up space you might want to use for other accessories. Another, perhaps more practical reason, is you cannot put that kind of current through a common rocker switch, so you will have to use either a remote heavy duty relay, or install your big switch on the dash with heavy cable going to that switch - doable, but none of the options for dash mounting seem worth the trouble to me when a short cable with two clips will do the deed with ease, if lacking a bit in finesse.

View attachment 312072
I beg to differ here, when the wind is blowin 20 and its -20 doing anything outside can be a real ******.I'd much rather run 2 short heavy wires to a shut off switch. up here thats more important then a lot of other accessories.I hope I never have to use it, but if I do I'll know I'll be out of the wind trying to start it.I can see how this would be overkill to most of you, but not this old guy. thanks for the input guys, its always appreciated

advertisement