P1000 DOES lights block air flow to radiator & get HOT?

mounting light bar on top of stock front bumper or wench directly in front of radiator hot weather ?

• Total voters
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
obviously it messes up some air flow! question is over time is that extra heat cause problems or take life off the motor from making it run a little hotter year after year?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm not sure if I understand the question.

Are you concerned about heat from lights that may make the engine hotter?

Or are you saying that the light blocks airflow which will cause the engine to get hot?

Which light are you talking about?

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md

Or are you saying that the light blocks airflow which will cause the engine to get hot?

Blocking air flow!

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md

I'm talking about lights or a winch being mounted on top of the front bumper blocking air flow to radiator

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm talking about lights or a winch being mounted on top of the front bumper blocking air flow to radiator

I think that is a valid concern. I ride all day today and noticed the fan only turned on a few times. With the cold temps we had today, I think it may only make the fan run more.

We have temp gauges on these pioneers, you could put up some cardboard to mimic the issue and test it.

Reactions: CashMoney
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I wanted to mount a bar up there and didn't because I don't want to block air flow. I don't think they would overheat but I do think it will make the fan run much more often at cruising speeds especially in warm weather.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
well we have temp lights kinda not gauges. it only gives marks but there could be a 15-20 difference before it lights up that next symbol right? I will be adding a temp gauge to the engine as well as the trans

Reactions: joeymt33
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
in cold weather definitely not a concern but through the hot summer could be an issue and problem is it wont present itself. It will just make the engine run hotter and over the life of the unit not good in long run. Or on the other hand they might have oversized radiators and units run a bit cool anyway and not be a problem at all thats why I am going to be putting a temp gauge on mine along with a trans temp also and see when backing up a hill etc Ill be able to tell when the clutches are getting hot

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It doesn't take much to disrupt normal airflow. After I ripped factory skid plate off my Foreman, I made one out of 1/4" aluminum. I didn't drill holes in it. Now my fan runs alot more than it did before.

Reactions: dale5740
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I believe it thats why I am skeptical about mounting anything there. Especially a big winch like mounted on top of custom bumpers might be fine depending on temps they run at stock but without testing first nobody can say. Our gages divide a wide range of temps into 4 categories that i know of (not the same as having a digital temp reading

advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Maybe that's why Honda put the winch down low.

Tabascojunkie

Tabascojunkie

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 25, 2016
SE Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mounted a single row LED light bar in front of the grill atop the OEM brush guard. No noticeable heat issues and no temp diff between before and after light was mounted. The radiators surface area is above and below the brush guard allowing for abundant airflow. If anything the fan will cycle a bit more or run a bit longer to offset the minimum amount of restriction a light may produce. The fan will come on as needed nonetheless, the engine won't run hotter as the fan will maintain the necessary cooling.
Now, should it be blocked to a point that the fan is running substantially more than before anything was installed in front of the radiator.... well that would be the tattle tale that you are restricting airflow.

Reactions: dale5740
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
in cold weather definitely not a concern but through the hot summer could be an issue and problem is it wont present itself. It will just make the engine run hotter and over the life of the unit not good in long run. Or on the other hand they might have oversized radiators and units run a bit cool anyway and not be a problem at all thats why I am going to be putting a temp gauge on mine along with a trans temp also and see when backing up a hill etc Ill be able to tell when the clutches are getting hot
We were plowing with the nose of this thing in 3ft of snow no problems. I know it's cold with snow but ours was running for 5hrs with the nose packed hammering into the snow and backing back up and hammering again for nearly 5hrs. We were clearing a 2 mile uphill road that had lots of downed trees and lots of snow. Only went up 1click. Probably will be ok

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
yeah but what if u had a big flat bumper with winch on top a lot more blocked than your 12" bar

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
yeah but what if u had a big flat bumper with winch on top a lot more blocked than your 12" bar
We didn't have a plow we were using the bumper/grill as the plow

Reactions: sharp and Kingmudd
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
obviously it messes up some air flow! question is over time is that extra heat cause problems or take life off the motor from making it run a little hotter year after year?

I run a top mounted winch on my front bumper and it has never risen above 2 bars on the digital temp gauge, and that's the same as it ran with out it. From the questions people ask they act like you are sealing off the ventilation holes in the grill nothing could be farther from the truth, its not a NASCAR radiator system where if you don't have 150MPH wind ramming into it will overheat. These things are designed to run at TRAIL speed ergo 10 mph the air flows right around whatever is there and into the radiator. If your machine is overheating you either have air in the system vapor locking the coolant flow or mud/sand packed in the radiator preventing it from doing what it was designed to do.

Winches & lights on bumper a bad thing? No - nothing to see here lets move along.
20160122 094255
20160122 094311

Reactions: Kingmudd
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
My deal wasn't so much that it would over heat, but more that it would make the fan come on more often.
That would depend more on the load on the engine coupled with the ambient temps and average driving speed, if NV is anything like UT riding I would say no as my avg. speed out west has traditionally been double what it is East of the Mississippi River.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
That would depend more on the load on the engine coupled with the ambient temps and average driving speed, if NV is anything like UT riding I would say no as my avg. speed out west has traditionally been double what it is East of the Mississippi River.
We've definitely got tons of trails here you can keep it pinned to the floor all day if you want. Most of them I would cruise at way less throttle though unless i was following a buddy with a rzr

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement