P1000 Does anybody have a good idea why Honda is turning their back on the 1000?

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Is the water splashing up on the hood and filling the air intake?

Not the hood. Under the front behind the radiator fan. That is where the intake is. Pop your hood off and pull out the prefilter and you can feel where it is.

This is what you shouldn't do with a Honda starting at 1:10 without a snorkel.

Well, unless it is a New Zealand model apparently.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Pioneer_Jake

Pioneer_Jake

Aug 29, 2016
Lima Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are many many ideas on the site to "redirect" airflow. Water is coming into the front mount intake from the front of the machine. If the intake moves backwards whether from under hood or over hood it'll drastically change this. For regular riding puddle jumping just normal stuff anything will work IMO but if you're serious about deep water get it up higher and raise your vent lines. I'm very happy with my Joey setup because it's easy to return to stock but I can see what goes in and those are important to me. I do believe if someone is around water they need to do something. Anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speaking of "returning to stock." Have any of you guys with a snorkel kit confirmed with Honda if it voids any warranty or not? Like most of you, I don't ride deep water but you do occasionally hit mud holes and cross creeks. Its more of insurance for me. But I don't want to start hacking into my fenders if Honda is going to come back and say they will no longer cover my machine.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Back to the original post. You all have seen my posts. This machine is a damn mountain goat. I've climbed some serious stuff, pulling a meat wagon loaded with firewood and gear, without one issue. Never bogged down, never had a hiccup. It's rock solid if you drive it right. When you're working it, drive it like a tractor. When your on surfaces that are good for high speeds, treat it like a race car.

I'm tried not to respond, you know someone like me, once I get started...

But AK you hit the nail on the head too perfect for me to pass up saying something lol

A mountain goat is the perfect parallel and yes this thing will climb like I never imagined a UTV could climb. In fact I'm wondering now why I even needed to cut roads...

The truth is every day I see myself climbing up embankments with such a severe angle I'm almost positive the front end is going to do a somersault as it tips over straight up in the air backwards.

But I'm a firm believer in using low pretty much all the time and only using high on more straight aways or asphalt. I wrote another post that I think for some reason putting it in low would make one appear to be a wimp or something in some peoples minds.

Not me, low is exactly what low is, it's meant for greater pulling power and climbing ability and really, exactly who amongst us wouldn't be all for that!!!

Spinning the tires out in high may look really cool, but all I can envision in my head is clutch slippage!

Most of my original post was with CP in mind you can bet your bottom dollar on that. I was a newbie when I first came on board here and was pretty much busy full-time fending off the attacks I got for my first few posts here and when I first read the issues he was having I didn't really put all the pieces to the puzzle together properly.

I think I probably thought initially like some people thought but didn't want to say. Which was "Horse crap, there's NO way CP destroyed his engine going through that little bit of water he showed in the video. He swamped that thing trying to cross a lake and we all know better."

What a sad, crying shame it was in retrospect that I gave more credit to a companies impeccable reputation for indestructible machines, never dreaming would be vulnerable to such a mild occurrence, at the cost of questioning a man's word.

Come to find out after all...

But of course I didn't know any of the members at the time being a newbie and as I say, I was embroiled in my own bitter battle with Honda concerning the bed not being able to tilt while reinforcing my gate and boiling hot tar at the top to pour on the other members attacks.

Not to mention, HondaSXS was stalking me AGAIN at the house, so I had to call the police and.... Ok ok, just kidding about that part :) but I did so love reading his rant I can't say I'm not trying to encourage another one even if
it's directed at me. It's always very refreshing to see the untouchables come down themselves to roll around in the ranting mud with us once in while :)

But now as the dust has settled and I grow more experienced and I am gaining more knowledge, the puzzle is now complete, and in the background there's a picture of a Honda Pioneer 1000 driving through a spilled 5 gallon bucket of water and the words that go across the front of the puzzle reads something like "CP GOT SCREWED FROM HONDA".

See, I told you I shouldn't have replied and got started..

Reactions: dotman1 and AKRider
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Speaking of "returning to stock." Have any of you guys with a snorkel kit confirmed with Honda if it voids any warranty or not? Like most of you, I don't ride deep water but you do occasionally hit mud holes and cross creeks. Its more of insurance for me. But I don't want to start hacking into my fenders if Honda is going to come back and say they will no longer cover my machine.
I talked both to the dealer and rep from Honda and both said air needs to travel down the original path through the filter. I believe anything off of the air box in front is considered to do that. Now with that said it still isn't covered for water intrusion so either way that's not covered. All it adds is some protection for you to help eliminate the chances. Honda is VERY well aware as to what measures we are taking to protect our rigs. I didn't snorkel mine to drive through a lake I'm sure everyone on here knows I don't do that and am actually still leery of water (but getting more comfortable at trail speeds through unavoidable hazards)The engine still receives the same air quality but you don't cringe when a puddle is hit hard. Many people think this is happening to people that dropped into a lake and that's not most of the cases. My only real complaint on this rig is that you can't drive around water stock as well as most others and just needs an "adjustment " still a damn good machine and a snorkel adds trail ability. I STILL don't suggest going through a lake.

Last edited:
Pioneer_Jake

Pioneer_Jake

Aug 29, 2016
Lima Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I talked both to the dealer and rep from Honda and both said air needs to travel down the original path through the filter. I believe anything off of the air box in front is considered to do that. Now with that said it still isn't covered for water intrusion so either way that's not covered. All it adds is some protection for you to help eliminate the chances. Honda is VERY well aware as to what measures we are taking to protect our rigs. I didn't snorkel mine to drive through a lake I'm sure everyone on here knows I don't do that and am actually still leery of water (but getting more comfortable at trail speeds through unavoidable hazards)The engine still receives the same air quality but you don't cringe when a puddle is hit hard. Many people think this is happening to people that dropped into a lake and that's not most of the cases. My only real complaint on this rig is that you can't drive around water stock as well as most others and just needs an "adjustment " still a damn good machine and a snorkel adds trail ability. I STILL don't suggest going through a lake.
Agreed! I'll occasionally cross a river here in Ohio where its 12-18" of water and that's about as deep as it gets. I did call my dealership and was told that a snorkel will absolutely NOT void the warranty. He said milky oil or diff fluid is the only thing that will void. Other than that he thinks that its a great idea to snorkel for the extra protection.

B

bjd68

Jun 5, 2016
abbotsford B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I must say Im sure glad we have forums like these because as soon as I heard of the water issue I snorkeled mine! Because I may hit the odd puddle and that would be so devastating to lose a motor because of it!!
Honda Should be stepping up and addressing the issue because it is just plain B.S. that u wouldnt be able to drive through even a 10-12 inch deep puddle with out worrying about sucking in water! TOTAL design FLAW in my opinion!
This would be my forth SXS I have bought and with my other sxs I never even seen a reason to snorkel them! because they put the air intake in a spot where water can not enter so easily!
Come on Honda we Know u read these Forums and any idiot can see u guys did not do your homework here! Also these are off road machines and everybody knows u drive through water with them so WAKE UP and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT !

Reactions: rocmar