P1000 Decisions while buying new P1k..

K

kelley350x

Oct 1, 2016
Kirbyville, TX
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all, my name is Mike, I'm new member to the sxs family, I've been addicted to almost anything with gears since my first erector set around 1983.. I've never tried group therapy for my addition so there is no reason to start now..

I'll be buying a red P1k deluxe tomorrow and I've been studying various Facebook groups, forums, and websites for a few weeks now. I'm on a limited budget for accessories but I wanted some input on the must haves.. it will mainly be used for hunting.

We have good roads in both of our deer leases and our property is high and dry so the stock tires will be fine.

I'll be building my own fiberglass top with light bars mounted in the front and rear, and building my front (with winch) and rear bumpers. I already have everything except the fiberglass resin so I won't spend much on these items. I want to build a bed extender as well but that can come later.

What's everyone's opinion on the Honda extended warranty, three additional years for $620.

I definitely will buy the drop in bed liner, we have a pioneer 700-4 as a survey buggy at work and anytime I need a side by side I borrow it and my only two complaints about it is the fact that it don't have low range and how much junk falls through the bed and makes a mess.. the P1k with a drop in liner solves both of those issues..

What other accessories should I consider?

Thanks

Reactions: drfubar
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Do the snorkel and extended vent line mods to prevent the problem with water getting in the case problem. The other must do mod is adding a bilge fan under the seat to take care of the heat issue. You can add your own windshield made out of Lexan pretty cheap. Some LED lights always help for those early or late night drives in and out of your hunting spot. Rifle rack or case. Extended fender flares. The list is endless. Lots of great suggestions from other guys on here. Look at some of the build threads for other ideas.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Welcome Kelley, go to the garage section and view what other members have done. There's a ton of things to look over and pic what's best for you.

Ask us any questions, there are tons of great members here that would love to help.

Signature:

QUOTE by Eltobgi, Honda...Strong enough for the Farm!...Dependable enough for everything else!

K

kelley350x

Oct 1, 2016
Kirbyville, TX
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Joey,

do you guys think the extended warranty is worth buying? I figure if there is something wrong with the unit I will know well within the first year, I've never purchased any type of extended warranty but I've never purchased an expensive vehicle that was would be used off road (other than a toyota).

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks Joey,

do you guys think the extended warranty is worth buying? I figure if there is something wrong with the unit I will know well within the first year, I've never purchased any type of extended warranty but I've never purchased an expensive vehicle that was would be used off road (other than a toyota).
I think it's how you feel your luck is.. lol. I don't buy extended warranties. Adds money to the cost.

Reactions: DRAGFOOT
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I didn't buy the warranty either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

K

kelley350x

Oct 1, 2016
Kirbyville, TX
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Picked it up today! I did get the warranty, I was on the fence about it but while I was in there a guy was pricing out a complete engine rebuild on a gold wing that was 1 month out of warranty and slung a rod.. lol I wasn't going to get it but after seeing the shock factor on his face I reconsidered..
This is the first time I have bought one but at least now it will be under warranty until it is paid off.. I also bought the bed liner while I was there. Now I've got to get to work building the top and receive hit mounted hoist for loading game, my first trip to the deer lease is in 8 days!! I ended up buying the "silver" one due to some scratches on the red one.

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Congratulations @kelley350x on your purchase! I second Joey's statement on on this site and its members. It's a very good place any of us are willing to help if it's needed. Any pics or video yet? You've read around a little you know we like pics!

advertisement
Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
Kelly,

Congratulations on your new buggy. I also got the extended warranty just so I could sleep well at night

As far as mods go, mods should be added depending on the locations you ride. I live in Arizona so I don't need a snorkel, but the bilge fan is a must the passenger side gets hot, very hot. I bit the bullet and got the Honda glass windshield because of all the mesquite trees I drive through. I also chose the Honda roof only because the way I looked at it, it was going to cost me more to build it than to buy. What I wished I would have done was to get a PiK 3 roof for my 5 so getting an elk would be easier

So, good luck with your hunting and your new buggy

K

kelley350x

Oct 1, 2016
Kirbyville, TX
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks buddy, here is a pic in all of her bone stock glory.. lol
My main goal for this weekend is to get the bed smeared in hog and or deer blood.. too bad my bed liner won't be in until next week.. lol

IMG 4867

K

kelley350x

Oct 1, 2016
Kirbyville, TX
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Buckshotaz I had my brother thinking I wanted to build a monorail type beam with a sliding electric winch in it so I could load game... lol he was relived when I told him I just needed a regular game hoist.. lol

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
@Buckshotaz I had my brother thinking I wanted to build a monorail type beam with a sliding electric winch in it so I could load game... lol he was relived when I told him I just needed a regular game hoist.. lol
I like the monorail idea, but my pockets are almost empty, so a come-a-long will have to work

K

kelley350x

Oct 1, 2016
Kirbyville, TX
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 4883

I'm hoping my son (7 years old) will get an opportunity to make his first bow kill on a hog Saturday morning.. this is at our Newton County, Tx hunting lease..
IMG 4879

Then next weekend we will be at our Friday county, tx lease and he is wanting to Take a drop tine buck so I hope he gets a chance to shoot this cull buck.
IMG 4882

I'd like to let this one live another year but I'll let him take him if he shows up.

I remember back when I liked to shoot deer, now I just enjoy watching him do it.. I bought him a 243 single shot, I guess it's my deer rifle now because he stole my Remington 700 sps tactile chambered in .308, as long as he has a barrel rest I'll let him reach out to about 275-300 yards before I start having doubts..

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Very cool pics!

Reactions: kelley350x
K

kelley350x

Oct 1, 2016
Kirbyville, TX
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys, I love my Spartan Game Cameras! No more making trips to the lease on Thursday evening to check SD cards to see which spot to hunt on Saturday.. Four of the cameras belong to our company and the 5th is mine, I didn't want to drop $500 on a game camera but after buying the first 4 and realizing how nice it was I sold a old trailer I hardly ever used and bought one.. lol

advertisement