P1000 Cooling fan?

Bumble Bee

Bumble Bee

Jan 1, 2022
Cove, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2018. Had this issue off and on for the first several months, and it was really random as to when it would happen. If I turned it off and let it cool down, it would reset and start working again. Dealer worked with me and it turned out it was a known software cliche. It took a couple of reprogramming attempts with different software patches from Honda, but, knock on wood, no issues for last several years.
I love the idea of an override switch mentioned by others and will be exploring that
Good luck to you. They are incredible machines.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The plant workers in South Carolina BEFORE the pandemic clearly didn't compare to old Honda quality. I don't know if Honda of the 80's were built in Japan or what, but they rocked. Now, it's most likely temp workers. I'd bet the pre pandemic workers took full advantage of the get paid to stay home crap. @DG Rider ....do you still have that picture that explains everything?
I was actually thinking you posted that? Guess not.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2018. Had this issue off and on for the first several months, and it was really random as to when it would happen. If I turned it off and let it cool down, it would reset and start working again. Dealer worked with me and it turned out it was a known software cliche. It took a couple of reprogramming attempts with different software patches from Honda, but, knock on wood, no issues for last several years.
I love the idea of an override switch mentioned by others and will be exploring that
Good luck to you. They are incredible machines.
Look in the club store there's lots of cool stuff the boss man comes up with for us.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was thinking the same thing Herbie. The fan can spin both ways...right?
Some dc motors will reverse rotation with a polarity change. Radiator fans behind the Radiator should always pull. Easiest way to test is let the machine come on and see if its pulling through the rad or pushing if that makes sense.

advertisement
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How can you tell if a fan blade is a pusher or puller, by looking at it?
Stand in front and stick your finger in it.
If your finger floats across the top, it's pulling air from inside.
If it cuts off your finger, its pushing air to the inside.
Sometimes it's best to have a friend do this for you.*

* Not responsible for the contents of this post.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Stand in front and stick your finger in it.
If your finger floats across the top, it's pulling air from inside.
If it cuts off your finger, its pushing air to the inside.
Sometimes it's best to have a friend do this for you.*

* Not responsible for the contents of this post.
I love the disclaimer have you been to the ntc yet.

Last edited:
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Simple after thought: you want the air going from the front of the vehicle to the back, right? If you're traveling 50 mph, a fan won't be able to push against the headwind. Acknowledge that some mudders don't worry about a headwind.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The plant workers in South Carolina BEFORE the pandemic clearly didn't compare to old Honda quality. I don't know if Honda of the 80's were built in Japan or what, but they rocked. Now, it's most likely temp workers. I'd bet the pre pandemic workers took full advantage of the get paid to stay home crap. @DG Rider ....do you still have that picture that explains everything?
I worked for HONDA 1983~2004. I can assure you that the Early ATV's and Motorcycles were almost all made in Japan. If the serial number starts in "JH2", it is Japanese built or "1HF" is USA Built The Quality of those Japanese built machines was almost flawless. When production came to the USA at the OHIO plant, the quality was very good, but there was a slump in quality at first. I had a USA made 1500 Gold Wing, best bike I ever owned, it was flawless. On the other hand, these USA built SXS's seem to have many quality issues. I do not know if it is just that workers at the plants are untrained or just do not give two hoots in hell. I am sure that the COVID has been a major headache for everyone.

Bama-Daniel

Bama-Daniel

Lifetime Member
Feb 25, 2021
Priceville, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello! New member here. Just purchased a 2021 1000-5 2 nights ago. Machine had 1 mile. Brand New! Upon my first ride less than 3 miles in it's overheating and I noticed that the cooling fan is not running. Immediately let it cool and eased back home. Called dealer and returned immediately. Anyone else had this issue?
Welcome from North Alabama. Hopefully just air in radiator. You’ll get several good leads on this forum.

advertisement