P1000 clutches feel like they are slipping

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
3-4 gear and 5-6 gear it seems

when shifting from 1 to 2 it feels good. instant lock and instant shift.

when shifting from 2 to 3 it feels good. instant lock and instant shift.

when shifting from 3 to 4 there is a solid one second delay where you are not in gear and are just high revving

when shifting from 4 to 5 it feels good. instant lock and instant shift.

when shifting from 5 to 6 there is a solid one second delay where you are not in gear and are just high revving

so. i noticed way before i put my tires and lift and all that on that in low this was happening, although it wasnt anywhere near this bad. for some reason it was worse in low gear than high gear. going down a hill you really noticed it. that stutter in the shift. now its scary. you will be going downhill and shift down and pick up like 5 MPH and then your face almost hits the steering wheel because of the backpressure when the gear engages.

im sure someone on here is going to say i ruined my clutches by putting larger tires on it. well, i should be able to run tires that arent crazy outlandish. my tires are heavier, sure, but only measure like 29 inches tall and i only have about 40 miles on them. others here are running tires close to that, some even larger.

seems to be getting worse and worse every mile.

are my clutches going out? has this happened to anyone else? is the shift computer stuttering because i have different size tires on? that seems like a stretch.

also it really started getting bad the other day, when my engine died and i was stuck in gear. starts in park, then put it in drive and a huge cuthunk and engine died again, but this time park start and drive it is good. weird? thoughts? bring to dealer?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
3-4 gear and 5-6 gear it seems

when shifting from 1 to 2 it feels good. instant lock and instant shift.

when shifting from 2 to 3 it feels good. instant lock and instant shift.

when shifting from 3 to 4 there is a solid one second delay where you are not in gear and are just high revving

when shifting from 4 to 5 it feels good. instant lock and instant shift.

when shifting from 5 to 6 there is a solid one second delay where you are not in gear and are just high revving

so. i noticed way before i put my tires and lift and all that on that in low this was happening, although it wasnt anywhere near this bad. for some reason it was worse in low gear than high gear. going down a hill you really noticed it. that stutter in the shift. now its scary. you will be going downhill and shift down and pick up like 5 MPH and then your face almost hits the steering wheel because of the backpressure when the gear engages.

im sure someone on here is going to say i ruined my clutches by putting larger tires on it. well, i should be able to run tires that arent crazy outlandish. my tires are heavier, sure, but only measure like 29 inches tall and i only have about 40 miles on them. others here are running tires close to that, some even larger.

seems to be getting worse and worse every mile.

are my clutches going out? has this happened to anyone else? is the shift computer stuttering because i have different size tires on? that seems like a stretch.

also it really started getting bad the other day, when my engine died and i was stuck in gear. starts in park, then put it in drive and a huge cuthunk and engine died again, but this time park start and drive it is good. weird? thoughts? bring to dealer?
I've never experienced anything close to what you have described! Is it the same in manual mode?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've never experienced anything close to what you have described! Is it the same in manual mode?
Yes. I'll take a video of the tach. You can see my rpms skyrocket

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Sounds more like the shifting mechanism delay than the clutch. EVERYONE that had a clutch problem had issue when shifting into 1, 3 , 5th gear exactly opposite to what you indicated.

That computer has a mind of its own at times.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sounds more like the shifting mechanism delay than the clutch. EVERYONE that had a clutch problem had issue when shifting into 1, 3 , 5th gear exactly opposite to what you indicated.

That computer has a mind of its own at times.
I suppose it's possible I'm backwards. I'll do some more tests and post video results

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Clutches (in any vehicle) tend to slip more in higher gears so it's odd that yours is worse in low range. It's possible they are slipping, but thinking like Jackal that it's something else.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Totally agree with@jackal here. Really don't think that's a clutch issue at all. From everything I've experienced and have seen it'll be 135r

Last edited:
Reactions: Jshell3
J

jamday

Apr 22, 2016
GA
boomBoom, did you ever resolve this issue?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Still in the shop.

I'll let you know when I get it back, probably in a month or so.

I have had nothing but problems and bad luck with this rig.

It's sat in the shop about a quarter of the time that I have owned it. It sat in the shop literally all summer. I got it back 2 weeks before hunting. They had it for 3 months.

It's going up for sale the day I get it back. I'll go get something else. I've never ever had a problem with a Honda 4 Wheeler. My buddy has 9000 miles on his and it still runs like a top. Other friends have 6000 on Honda and Suzuki.

Viking engine blew up at 1300 miles. Out of warranty, so it costs 2500.

Thinking about going back to Polaris. I had that rig for a year and the only problem I had was my axle popped out of the hub And. Clutch was installed wrong from factory. They fixed it in two days.

Honda has took over a week to fix my clutch or whatever the problem is, aNd I bet they don't even have the parts yet.

I think im gonna get a Polaris 6 Wheeler. I know two guys that just got one and they work perfectly for the kind of riding we do.

The Honda can't pull through the skeg. It's a fine trail machine, and can barrel through mud, but it just can't drive through a skeg.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Still in the shop.

I'll let you know when I get it back, probably in a month or so.

I have had nothing but problems and bad luck with this rig.

It's sat in the shop about a quarter of the time that I have owned it. It sat in the shop literally all summer. I got it back 2 weeks before hunting. They had it for 3 months.

It's going up for sale the day I get it back. I'll go get something else. I've never ever had a problem with a Honda 4 Wheeler. My buddy has 9000 miles on his and it still runs like a top. Other friends have 6000 on Honda and Suzuki.

Viking engine blew up at 1300 miles. Out of warranty, so it costs 2500.

Thinking about going back to Polaris. I had that rig for a year and the only problem I had was my axle popped out of the hub And. Clutch was installed wrong from factory. They fixed it in two days.

Honda has took over a week to fix my clutch or whatever the problem is, aNd I bet they don't even have the parts yet.

I think im gonna get a Polaris 6 Wheeler. I know two guys that just got one and they work perfectly for the kind of riding we do.

The Honda can't pull through the skeg. It's a fine trail machine, and can barrel through mud, but it just can't drive through a skeg.
dang... yeah, maybe something a little more robust would do well in that skeg... what was it in for the other 3 months?

advertisement