P1000 Clutch updated question

F

fxstrdr

Jan 25, 2017
So I have 2016 p1k with 1200 miles, 28 “ rubber, stock engine. My concern is when I’m close to stuck in 4 wheel lock, high side of transmission skinny pedal on floor no tire movement. Luckily for me reverse got me moving. Before some smarty asks why I was in the high side instead of low I was in too much snow and the low side had a tendency to dig down not out. My question is do I need more engine ie turbo, nitrous, or should I put stock size tires back on (not wanted) or leave well enough alone the lack of engine power is the only thing keeping the clutch together.

J

JTW

If your wheels won’t move you shouldn’t push your luck.. particularly without the clutch update!! Use your winch if stuck and use low as much as you can. But sometimes you just gotta do what you’ve gotta do... they’re machines. You’re eventually gunna f*** something up if you ride, ride it!

F

fxstrdr

Jan 25, 2017
If your wheels won’t move you shouldn’t push your luck.. particularly without the clutch update!! Use your winch if stuck and use low as much as you can. But sometimes you just gotta do what you’ve gotta do... they’re machines. You’re eventually gunna f*** something up if you ride, ride it!

It has the clutch update already, that is why I posted I was hoping the big tire mud guys would chime in and give there knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I’ve been in that position a few times running deep snow, but I always let off the skinny pedal before putting the clutches through that unnecessary strain which leads to failure!
Now to answer your question... some focus on gear reduction, portals, etc. to support the added larger tires, but 28” tires are not your issue...most are running 30’s!

There is one member here whose rig truly feels like a totally different machine, but not sure exactly what he did. He did say he has as much if not more into his machine as he paid for it, if I’m not mistaken. But even in their case, I can’t say if he doesn’t encounter similar problems in similar conditions.

Reactions: BWAF
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Snow is an entirely different animal than mud/dirt. Because it is a cross between a solid and a liquid and it tends to have a lot of air in it, unless you have tracks, once you get in that deep, hope that you have something nearby to hitch your winch to. Over many years of riding innumerable machines of all different breeds in snow, until you can get down to solid footing, nothing is going to happen.
Just my experience in snow.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I have 2016 p1k with 1200 miles, 28 “ rubber, stock engine. My concern is when I’m close to stuck in 4 wheel lock, high side of transmission skinny pedal on floor no tire movement. Luckily for me reverse got me moving. Before some smarty asks why I was in the high side instead of low I was in too much snow and the low side had a tendency to dig down not out. My question is do I need more engine ie turbo, nitrous, or should I put stock size tires back on (not wanted) or leave well enough alone the lack of engine power is the only thing keeping the clutch together.

Running in 4 lock on high isn't really the best idea but if it's the only solution I guess give it a go. 4 low will get you quite a bit of wheel speed though. I run 28" tires but can't say I've ever run into this problem. 99% of the time 4 low gets me out and a rarely use 4 lock. I've only had to winch twice. Once was a Tennessee mud hole and once I was high centered.

I don't feel the machine lacks power but I do think a slight gear reduction would be a great help. I'd like low to be more like super low. But It's all a give and take....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Snow is an entirely different animal than mud/dirt. Because it is a cross between a solid and a liquid and it tends to have a lot of air in it, unless you have tracks, once you get in that deep, hope that you have something nearby to hitch your winch to. Over many years of riding innumerable machines of all different breeds in snow, until you can get down to solid footing, nothing is going to happen.
Just my experience in snow.
I second that

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What tires are you running?

Reactions: BWAF
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Happens to me all the time
IMG 5260

advertisement
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tensor regulators 28/10/12
And a big thanks to one and all for sharing the knowledge
I had the exact same tires on mine. But I was never in a real tough spot in hi range. But I could sling them pretty good in snow.

Reactions: CumminsPusher