Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Feel my answer may not have helped. See if this does.

Most of the on/off switches are independent bottom and dependant top.

We wire the bottom to the input hot so when it has power the bottom is lit.

Top is lit when switch is ON.

But.....
you can also wire it on the output post so both are lit when ON and off when off.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That does help, but my head still hurts. So your saying that I CAN wire the switch so that the lower portion will light up with key on and switch off .............. and STAY lit when i flip the switch on.

Thanks

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This is the common wiring setup.

jshafe87

jshafe87

Oct 12, 2021
Decatur, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been struggling to figure out how to wire a turn signal switch so that the backlighting works (key on) but also flashes when activated. Current switch is on-off-on with 7 pins (I am guessing that means dependent lighting). I was looking at getting an on-off-on 10 pin switch with independent lighting. Can either of these be wired to work for what I want?

Reactions: Lady01
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have been struggling to figure out how to wire a turn signal switch so that the backlighting works (key on) but also flashes when activated. Current switch is on-off-on with 7 pins (I am guessing that means dependent lighting). I was looking at getting an on-off-on 10 pin switch with independent lighting. Can either of these be wired to work for what I want?
Welcome from Michigan!
Congrats on your first ever post.
We like pics of the machine so we have a visual if what you have so....Pics Or It Didn't Happen! ;)

What kind of turn signal kit do u have?
Should have A wiring diagram to wire it and they are to wire them the way your asking fyi

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The kit is a turnpro kit. Love the kit and the quality I just wish I could see the switches at night. Currently the switch just flashes when the signal is engaged.
I have a turn pro kit. There plug and play. all the spades are used on that switch and u might not be able to do that. you can find the trigger ground spade that lights up the switch when it flashes and try and piggyback that but it may also cancel out the on off flash. Might b better off to call trunpro and see if they have a solution? If u figure it out, report back and show us.

Reactions: Smitty335
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Technically, it's easily doable, so long as the rocker switch has independent terminals for backlight (key on) and switch on fuctions. Many illuminated switches do. If that be the case, wire the backlight to the same source as your other switches. For the switch LED you want to flash with the turn signal lights, from the switch LED positive terminal, connect the cathode (banded end) of 2 diodes. The anode or positive end of each diode will go to the respective flasher output.

To be 100% sure of the above, one would need to see the wiring diagram that came with your kit. I looked on their site but couldn't find it.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Technically, it's easily doable, so long as the rocker switch has independent terminals for backlight (key on) and switch on fuctions. Many illuminated switches do. If that be the case, wire the backlight to the same source as your other switches. For the switch LED you want to flash with the turn signal lights, from the switch LED positive terminal, connect the cathode (banded end) of 2 diodes. The anode or positive end of each diode will go to the respective flasher output.

To be 100% sure of the above, one would need to see the wiring diagram that came with your kit. I looked on their site but couldn't find it.
A drawing of what you just described would help 🤣

Yes, all the spades are taken on that switch. Its also plug and play so the big molex that plugs into it covers those spades. If one was to do kinda as you described (would
be great if it would work) youd have to cut and splice the “correct” wire out of that molex. If i remember, I can get y a pic when i get home.

Reactions: Plowboy1466
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So there is no wiring diagram with there kit, just an on line pdf with step by step instructions for the plug and play. So this is what i found of a pic of the molex on the back of the switch then the harness. Like i said ill try to remember to get a better pic when i get home.
4349ECA2 7DDB 4F68 8368 90202F7E5DBC

jshafe87

jshafe87

Oct 12, 2021
Decatur, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is how my switch is wired but I also have 3 unterminated pins under the ground. I believe these could be used for a 2nd output set.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is how my switch is wired but I also have 3 unterminated pins under the ground. I believe these could be used for a 2nd output set.

View attachment 333540

Okay, that helps a lot. With that switch, any illumination is taken care of internally, so there's no option to change illumination on the switch that without replacing the switch with something more suitable (discreet lighting terminals). That said, it would be easy to install a separate dash mounted LED indicator, if one isn't included in the kit, to remind & show you what the lights are doing. Just take the "drive" for the indicator lights off the + right and left outputs. If you'd rather just have one LED light to flash when either side is blinking, that easy to do with a couple of diodes - - just ask and I'll post a quick diagram if there's interest.

jshafe87

jshafe87

Oct 12, 2021
Decatur, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay, that helps a lot. With that switch, any illumination is taken care of internally, so there's no option to change illumination on the switch that without replacing the switch with something more suitable (discreet lighting terminals). That said, it would be easy to install a separate dash mounted LED indicator, if one isn't included in the kit, to remind & show you what the lights are doing. Just take the "drive" for the indicator lights off the + right and left outputs. If you'd rather just have one LED light to flash when either side is blinking, that easy to do with a couple of diodes - - just ask and I'll post a quick diagram if there's interest.
This switch does indicate when the the signal is engaged I was just hoping I could add back lighting when the switch is in the off position. I am not opposed to changing the switch to something with independent lighting options though.

Reactions: Lady01
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This switch does indicate when the the signal is engaged I was just hoping I could add back lighting when the switch is in the off position. I am not opposed to changing the switch to something with independent lighting options though.

Replacing the switch, if you can source the right one, would be the easiest approach if you want all the lighting, both background and off/on indication, within the switch. A panel mount would be easy and cheap:

LED

This would still use two diodes to wire to the two switch outputs. The panel LED will then blink if either turn signal is on. If you go this way, it's a simple wiring diagram and all connections are on the back of the existing switch. If you need the diagram, just ask.

advertisement