P1000 Brake Pads

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went riding this past weekend for about 60 miles with lots of hills in Arkansas. On the long descents when I would have to use the brakes to keep speed down, the back brakes squeaking was about to drive me nuts (just fyi I was in low range 1st gear, but engine braking alone was not enough on these long rough descents). I hope they come out with some better compounds. I was riding with 4 rzr 800s and my son was on a sportsman 700 and I didn't hear any of their brakes squeaking.

Waylan

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Something weird about the Hondas. All of our Hondas squeak a bit

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Something weird about the Hondas. All of our Hondas squeak a bit

This is off topic, but I know I've read you state that you could take the pioneer where rzr's could not go. After this weekend I'd have to see a video to believe it. These 4 rzr 800s (3 were 50" wide and one was an S, which is 60" wide I believe), even with less ground clearance, were climbing slow technical stuff easier than I was. Steep rocky trails with rock ledges; I definitely have some permanent creases in my seat lol. I still like the Pioneer and it's perfect for my family, but I was impressed with those rzrs. Thinking of keeping my open for a good used one for my 16 year old son. The rzrs ranged from 1600 miles to 4500 miles, none with any major problems - just some cv joints, ball joints, wheel bearings, and tie rods. I think the one with 4500 miles had replaced his front prop shaft u-joints.

Waylan

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I know up the rocks a couple times in a group I was the only to get up. We had the 800 and it wasn't as sure footed as the Pioneer. Never owned the +4 but I'll promise you that won't follow us. When we've gone through the woods we beat and bang constantly but still go. We've never turned around ever. Sometimes had to find an alternate route but we have never not been able to follow someone. If you saw ours you'd know we go anywhere

Last edited:
Reactions: elkguide and Stauvo
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know up the rocks a couple times in a group I was the only to get up. We had the 800 and it wasn't as sure footed as the Pioneer. Never owned the +4 but I'll promise you that won't follow us. When we've gone through the woods we beat and bang constantly but still go. We've never turned around ever. Sometimes had to find an alternate route but we have never not been able to follow someone.

There were no rzr-4's in the group. Just regular rzr 800's. They were definitely having an easier time climbing this stuff than I was. I didn't have to winch any and neither did they, so it wasn't like some were going where others weren't, but if it had gotten much worse I think I would have needed the winch.........lol.

Waylan

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya I don't know exactly what kind of terrain you were on but especially for its size I go anywhere. The only thing we've ever been stuck in is snow. It gets kinda tippy once in awhile with the windshield but if we can't make something I'll ouch over trees. We have been with multiple groups and they all think I'm crazy but I swear to you it's the machine. If nothing else maybe the confidence it gives me but I'll go wherever they do sometimes around them through the bushes because they are stuck. Ikd... The only things I've b****ed about is at first the jumpiness of the rig I got some flack for because I said it needed a low power mode but that's smoothed out very nicely however the front shock are crap I bottom out A LOT! Need that fixed but it still digs and never really looses traction. I may not side hill where a 1000rzr does but that's it!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Went riding this past weekend for about 60 miles with lots of hills in Arkansas. On the long descents when I would have to use the brakes to keep speed down, the back brakes squeaking was about to drive me nuts (just fyi I was in low range 1st gear, but engine braking alone was not enough on these long rough descents). I hope they come out with some better compounds. I was riding with 4 rzr 800s and my son was on a sportsman 700 and I didn't hear any of their brakes squeaking.

Waylan
Back to the brakes I think the problem is in the rotors at least at this point it's my opinion. Not positive on the sxs's but I know on our dirtbikes and honda quads the ones we changed our rotors on stayed quiet way longer so I think it's either the metal compound of the rotor or even possibly a super hard pad that will forever squeak the disk even after changing the pads. I don't think we've ever ran factory Honda for replacement on pads but always had squeak return quickly unless changing rotors. My 700-4 developed a squeal early on but pads looked great had that way till 2700 and the 1000 started somewhere around 700 although I've not checked them. It bugs me as well but unfortunately I guess we've gotten use to this little annoyance. Now that you brought it up I'll hear it again and it'll probably bug me for a bit Maybe someone will come out with wavey rotors for the Pioneers soon if so I would suggest doing pads and rotors for a Better resistance to fading and no squeak.

Last edited:
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My P1000 squeaked on the first ride - I thought they were just breaking in but I'm now over 300 miles and they squeak worse I would say. For general trail riding it's tolerable, but when you are on long rough descents where you need to keep your speed under control alot it becomes really annoying and even embarrassing. I consider myself big on preventative maintenance; I check brake pads after almost every ride, check fluids, check condition of all running gear (boots, bolt tightness, cleanliness of radiator, etc. etc.), and brakes constantly squeaking sounds like they are worn out. Anyway, hopefully Honda will offer some other options for pads or at least maybe the aftermarket will. I'd change them out more often in exchange for them being quiet.

Waylan

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I do agree with you on the embarrassing part that's something that bothers me a little when riding with others. I've gotten every squeak and rattle out of mine which has been rough because I have a lot of bass. I've been able to track down everything and it's so quiet expect for the brakes. You definitely hear them more in the technical. Just look for puddles the get quieter:) I'm actually surprised more people aren't complaining about then.

advertisement
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did you solve the bed rattle? I thought I had it whipped until this last weekend ride. I ended up putting a ratchet strap from the grab bars up to the ROPS to keep tension in it. Then I had to change out the electrical tape to get the doors quiet again. Wish I could come up with more permanent fixes.

Waylan

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Bed if you just move the latch catches up a little it forces the box to close on the frame tighter attached photo. But they move very quickly and bed won't shut. Put a piece of tape under them so you know where you started. Rear doors have two stops in them the obvious one is the rubber snubber that falls out when tight enough and one inside at the top of the seat while down. One inside you want to lower it with seat down till it won't go farther then ope door adjust an additional 1/8 inch. For the snubber I bought 05 Nissan Murano rear gate snubbers. They are what adjust the lift gate on that rig however most cars have them under the hood and rear lift gates. Most vehicles are the exact same design all you need to be conserved about is the hole size they go into and that they are a little longer. Easiest way is to bring that snubber to a self service wrecking yard and look around they will only cost two bucks for all of them and get extras. I had to trim mine but I left them 1/4 longer then stock and they are money! Work is n the front doors as well. The front doors were to low so I took off hinges and elongated the holes just a little (if you look under at posting "saggy doors five dollar fix" I explain that better. You then adjust all the door latch strikers to be in the very center of the latches. I spray foamed all my doors and rear gate which I explained under that post as well. The thing is now rattle free and stays that way because everything is happy.

Last edited:
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone found aftermarket pads for the 1000 yet?

Thanks,

Waylan

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
So just a suggestion but I use that red brake quiet on my cars it's a thick past that dries to a rubber like consistency and you put that on the back of the pads where they touch the caliper and it prevents them from Squeaking by stoping the pad from vibrating maybe that would work on these pads. It's the same concept. My brakes don't squeak yet I only have 125 miles on mine but if they start I will put that stuff on them.

Reactions: elkguide