P1000 Brake Pads

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
20160330 175553412 iOS

My brakes were grinding real bad in the front, I took the front wheel off and was surprised to see my pads were completely worn to nothing in less than 400 miles. I called the local dealership and they said they don't have any in stock because they didn't think anyone would need them so quickly. I'd like to find some elsewhere so I can ride this weekend. Local auto parts store couldn't cross reference. Does anyone have ideas on how to cross reference to an aftermarket part #?

Reactions: JTW
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I looked at Rocky Mountain ATV and found the brake pads. Look under "OEM parts" then select your vehicle. Scroll down the list and find "front caliper". The pads for the front are in that section.

I would have posted a screenshot, but Tapatalk is not letting me do it.

FYI @Hondasxs

HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine have squeaked from day one. I guess I need to check mine.

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
Thanks guys! Do yall think the pads are the same as the 500 and 700 models?

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
H

HondaTech

The squealing is mostly the metallic Honda puts in those things. They use to be allot better, but street bike guys b****ed about brake dust so everyone has to suffer.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need to check mine. Anyone else having rapid brake pad wear?

Waylan

advertisement
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
View attachment 12729

My brakes were grinding real bad in the front, I took the front wheel off and was surprised to see my pads were completely worn to nothing in less than 400 miles. I called the local dealership and they said they don't have any in stock because they didn't think anyone would need them so quickly. I'd like to find some elsewhere so I can ride this weekend. Local auto parts store couldn't cross reference. Does anyone have ideas on how to cross reference to an aftermarket part #?
did you put new brakes on? and where did you buy them?

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
I tried to match them at every auto shop in town. I wound up having the local dealership order them for me. I even had to pay extra for rush shipping so I could ride that weekend.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine with almost 300 miles still look like new - just checked them this last weekend.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I tried to match them at every auto shop in town. I wound up having the local dealership order them for me. I even had to pay extra for rush shipping so I could ride that weekend.
Was it just the front

J

JOHNDEEREMAN

May 7, 2016
NEVADA
i say 400 miles honda should be buying them----you got a problem their wearing out that fast you would have to have your foot on the brake the hole time to go that fast

Reactions: JTW
R

RedRiderBooya

Feb 12, 2015
View attachment 12729

Do you run in a lot of sandy mud? I know I have worn out brand new pads from racing a two hour GNCC race before (very wet and sandy). If that is the case, there is no pad made that will last long if you ride in those type of conditions.

Granted those same pads would last years in dry conditions.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
i see fast brake pad wear like this from riding in sandy/muddy water.... its like taking a grinder to them. surprisingly this machine has excellent engine braking so they really should last long either way. if it turns out that's the problem and its just way it goes, you can build your own set that will last. some of the really hard core mud guys will take the pad down to a bare backing plate, then machine a piece of brass plate to epoxy to it. granted you don't have the stopping effectiveness of regular pads, but they will last in the mud and water.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I went through pads on my 700 like gas and I avoid the mud like the plague. I argued with Honda over and over about the issue with no resolve. I told them it was the master cylinder but they continued to say no way. I forked out the money and changed it myself and magically the pad wear stopped.
I have not looked for the 1k yet but I was buying my pads from D2 Moto.

Reactions: dotman1
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
With the engine braking on this I can't see the pads going that quickly either. Seems there is a problem maybe @Westtnpioneer is right

HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where is everybody getting there factory pads at. I believe my fronts are gone.

advertisement