P1000 Boss Snowplow V blade with Smarthitch2

BlueBadger05

BlueBadger05

Oct 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello, I am looking to talk with someone regarding the Boss V blade plow with the optional smarthitch installed on a P100

Mine continues to leak hydraulic fluid only when using the smarthitch to hook it up and take it off the machine. Does anybody know what might be causing this?

When operating the snowplow after its hooked up, it doesn't leak at all.

Thanks!
Josh

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Where exactly is it leaking?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Snap some pictures of the leak. Chances are it is a simple seal. I'll get on my desktop later and look at the hydraulic schematics and see if I can help.

BlueBadger05

BlueBadger05

Oct 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is hard to get pictures of the leak, but it is coming from the top of the main tower.

I took it all apart tonight and reinstalled it, made sure it was all tight and it still leaks.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It is hard to get pictures of the leak, but it is coming from the top of the main tower.

I took it all apart tonight and reinstalled it, made sure it was all tight and it still leaks.

What do you mean "the main tower"? Is this the lift cylinder? Sounds like its a simple seal or o-ring issue.

BlueBadger05

BlueBadger05

Oct 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What do you mean "the main tower"? Is this the lift cylinder? Sounds like its a simple seal or o-ring issue.

This part.... (It has done it from day 1)

317A16A9 EFEC 494B 92C2 CBEB39B48B6C

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Odd that it stops leaking once in use. Have you contacted the place you purchased the plow? The pic is a bit blurry but depending on what type of fittings are there they should have either an O-ring on them or some teflon tape.

If it is leaking from the body of that cylinder and not a fitting then it needs to be taken back to point of purchase and replaced.

What part of Wisconsin are you in?

BlueBadger05

BlueBadger05

Oct 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for your help, the fitting is just metal on metal. Simple male hose end screws into a female end. There isn’t Teflon tape on the fittings, do hydraulic lines need it? Is it the same tape you use for plumbing water connections?

I am just south of Madison.

Reactions: Plumber32
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for your help, the fitting is just metal on metal. Simple male hose end screws into a female end. There isn’t Teflon tape on the fittings, do hydraulic lines need it? Is it the same tape you use for plumbing water connections?

So first there are different styles of hydraulic fittings. There's 1 or 2 that have o-rings and the rest dont. Most likely yours don't. So you will need some teflon tape, yes the same kind as a plumber uses. You can also use teflon paste that comes in a little bottle with an applicator brush. If you wrap with tape make sure you do it so the tail is pointing left as you're screwing on to the right. i.e. so you're threading with the tape and not pushing into the tail if that makes sense.

I asked cause I think @Plumber32 lives up around that neighborhood if you needed a hand on your rig. He's pretty handy and if you have beer I think he'd do about anything for ya. Would be a good guy to know.

Reactions: BlueBadger05
advertisement
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Me 2. Janesville. I'll bet it's the seal on top. Probably needs the full pressure to keep it tight and sealed. Most water softeners do that when you shut down the water they will dribble. Until back under pressure. Yes on the teflon, a couple wraps of the white teflon tape should take care of it.

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
BlueBadger05

BlueBadger05

Oct 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Plumber! Hit me up if you ever want to trail ride, I use it mainly in the winter for plowing and ice fishing, but the spring, summer, fall it just sits in the shed, I am sure it wouldn't mind a good workout! haha

Nice to meet you!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks Plumber! Hit me up if you ever want to trail ride, I use it mainly in the winter for plowing and ice fishing, but the spring, summer, fall it just sits in the shed, I am sure it wouldn't mind a good workout! haha

Nice to meet you!
You should come to one of our trail rides. They are a lot of fun!

Reactions: BlueBadger05
MMW

MMW

Sep 5, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

One other thing you will want to check is if the female threads are tapered or not. There are hydraulic hose fittings that have a tapered thread and some that have straight threads. If you mix them you often wind up with the type of leak you are describing.

Reactions: Mudwing and Landman
BlueBadger05

BlueBadger05

Oct 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One other thing you will want to check is if the female threads are tapered or not. There are hydraulic hose fittings that have a tapered thread and some that have straight threads. If you mix them you often wind up with the type of leak you are describing.

Thanks for the tip, the connections both came from the factory so I don't believe that is the issue.

What I did to fix it was use some Teflon tape and it no longer leaks. I was just very careful not to get it in the hydraulic line as that is a common cause of hydraulic pump failure.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the tip, the connections both came from the factory so I don't believe that is the issue.

What I did to fix it was use some Teflon tape and it no longer leaks. I was just very careful not to get it in the hydraulic line as that is a common cause of hydraulic pump failure.
Glad to hear you got it taken care of.

J

jamesraycroft

Oct 25, 2019
canada
Ownership

1. 500
Hello, I am looking to talk with someone regarding the Boss V blade plow with the optional smarthitch installed on a P100

Mine continues to leak hydraulic fluid only when using the smarthitch to hook it up and take it off the machine. Does anybody know what might be causing this?

Thanks!
Josh

Yes I can tell you exactly why I have a boss 4 foot straight blade on my P 500 it’s leaking from the reservoir cap these caps are not designed to be at anything but 90° the second the plough is on a slight angle it leaks from the cap

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Thanks!
Josh

Well I just bought a boss V plow. I'm looking forward to using it.