P1000 Blown fuse

D

DDDonkey

OK I am stumped right now, I always leave the headlights on and use them as a DLR. Well today I put on my new wheels and tires, went to start it up and the instrument panel was not working, so I got out and walked around the unit and noticed the headlight would not work either. Well the headlight relay fuse operated both of them and it was blown. So I assume that I have something grounding out, the new fuse blows as soon as I turn the key on with or without the headlight on. Sometimes if I'm lucky it will last 30 secs or so. All I did was put on new wheels and tires, anyone have an idea on where to star looking? Thanks!

Reactions: Lady01 and BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is this a deluxe or base? LED bulbs?
I would start by disconnecting the headlights to isolate that. Put a new fuse in and try again. If it blows, disconnect the cluster and try again, if everything is disconnected, and it still blows, a wire somewhere is grounding out.

What year is your machine? Each year has it’s own wiring diagram, so I want to make sure I look at the right one.

H

HondaTech

Could pull the headlight relay and see if the fuse still blows. If not then the dash and it's related circuit isnt the problem as the power should only then be applied to the headlights.

Does everything work as it should?
Crank, start, shifting?

D

DDDonkey

Well I figured it out, looks like it was my own fault. After checking all the relays and wires I found that the license plate light was grounding out. The bolt that holds it on rubbed through the wire loom, then the wire to ground out, after all that it was my own fault for how I ran the wires.

Thanks @HondaTech for the help!

A

Andoman

Feb 3, 2021
Buckeye, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
I have a 2019 1000-5LE and my headlights just stopped working (high beam, low beam, and licensed plate light that is tied in). I bought used 2 months ago and all mods work fine. I installed the plug and play light bar (high bean) a week ago and last night the fuse blew to the relay. I could not have messed up any wiring since it is simple plug and go. I traced what I could and there are no grounding issues on other mods. After I replaced the fuse the headlights won't turn on at all. It no longer blows the fuse, but I don't seem to have any power from the switch. Any ideas?

Reactions: Lady01
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hey,
Sent you a private message.

What kind of license plate thingey do you have? What is it wired to? I will assume the brown wire in the rear somewhere.

Did it blow a fuse as soon as you used the add-a-light kit or did you get some use on them?

There are 2 relays that control the lights. I will get you some info here in a few.

Reactions: Lady01