P500 Beating a Dead Horse?

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
I'm keeping mine in. From the posts here, it seems comfort is the most compelling reason to remove it. I'm going to error on the side of load handling as I doubt I'll ever feel like I'm riding in an air conditioned full size vehicle no matter what mods I make to my P500. Given it's size, I'd prefer the stiffer suspension to handle loads and high CG in the wide range of terrain I encounter. MWO subject to change without notice.:eek:

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I was thinking about making some quick disconnects like on the front of a Jeep so it could be hooked or unhooked easily depending upon what I am doing.

Reactions: trigger
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'm keeping mine in. From the posts here, it seems comfort is the most compelling reason to remove it. I'm going to error on the side of load handling as I doubt I'll ever feel like I'm riding in an air conditioned full size vehicle no matter what mods I make to my P500. Given it's size, I'd prefer the stiffer suspension to handle loads and high CG in the wide range of terrain I encounter. MWO subject to change without notice.:eek:

I un hooked mine...when I was stock 50"...felt real loose
....two wheeled it..few times..with the wife...
so hooked back up...
went wide...58"...no restrictions here
took it off...oh my..big difference. ...but
still feeling it out...

Miss_Oak

Miss_Oak

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 500
I un hooked mine...when I was stock 50"...felt real loose
....two wheeled it..few times..with the wife...
so hooked back up...
went wide...58"...no restrictions here
took it off...oh my..big difference. ...but
still feeling it out...

I have been wondering how unhooking it on a stock rig would be. Good to know @rocmar . Kinda makes me want to keep it hooked up now???

Reactions: Moose308 and rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I have been wondering how unhooking it on a stock rig would be. Good to know @rocmar . Kinda makes me want to keep it hooked up now???
My deal...was safety....
wife likes to ride..but when
it becomes...narly...she won't
Go...so hooked back up
....once I went with spacers...
then removed,,
most stable it has been...

Reactions: Miss_Oak
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Been riding..over 40 yrs
...& I'm still learning
....as I go... spacers a cheap
mod...for stability ...easy job
.....use Loc-tite.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have had mine tied up with zips for a year now. I'm content like that

Yeah, unless I start snapping zip ties all the time, I probably won't mess with it again. Slightly helps COG too.
I was a scaredy cat for over a year. Doesn't feel anymore tippy to me at all and actually feels safer, more control with less chop. I would never steer anyone towards an unsafe modification and wouldn't even have posted this if I didn't believe it was beneficial.

R

Rustell

Tumblr ns9rmhX7LS1uxle3jo1 500

advertisement
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took mine off today finally... yep it's different... going to muddy bottoms in sarepta Louisiana on the 26th. Will review my opinion at that ride.

D

Deleted member 3748

As I mentioned in another post, the group I ride with is 800 CCs and up. Just trying to keep up I'm going into some turns at full speed and this 50" width is a b**** in the ruts that are always wider than the P5. You have to pick your line fast and hope it works. There are so many times it doesn't work and I'm taking a hard corner with the my inside tires higher than the outside. I know that anti-sway bar has been saving my ass. These group rides may kill me, but they won't kill this Honda!!

Reactions: Miss_Oak
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
As I mentioned in another post, the group I ride with is 800 CCs and up. Just trying to keep up I'm going into some turns at full speed and this 50" width is a b**** in the ruts that are always wider than the P5. You have to pick your line fast and hope it works. There are so many times it doesn't work and I'm taking a hard corner with the my inside tires higher than the outside. I know that anti-sway bar has been saving my ass. These group rides may kill me, but they won't kill this Honda!!

You might be riding with the wrong group? A 60 mile trail ride at 60 mph isn't much of a trail ride, more like a race.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
D

Deleted member 3748

Yeah, it was like a race for me. They were all out on a Sunday drive and I was trying to win the dirt track nationals! :) If I only knew some people from Michigan that had Pioneer 500s...

Reactions: trigger
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Dammit Trigger! Now I gotta get my 2cents in.;) The Honda propaganda brags about IRS- Independent Rear Suspension. If you ever watch a P5 going over rough terrain from the back, the rear suspension (stock) barely moves, (or the front for that matter) and when going through ruts, or over big obstacles you will often see the corner to corner teetering act with one wheel on two corners in the air- some of you have seen my videos in the suspension thread demonstrating that one- because the machine is ridiculously over-sprung to begin with- unless loaded very heavy, like stupid heavy- I had 700+ lbs on mine, and still couldn't compress the suspension to get all four wheels on the ground during one of those 'teetering' events- with the rsb removed!. So, what the h** is the point of IRS if it never IRS's to begin with, and then adding an additional, ridiculously over sized torsion spring (rsb) that ties the two sides of the rear suspension together virtually guaranteeing that it will never move independently like it is supposed to? I must concur, that when I removed mine, there was a very slight improvement in ride over the small bumps at higher speed (more than 10mph) but it made no appreciable difference when traversing rough terrain, and definitely did not make the machine 'tippy-er' Some of you might be loading your machines really heavy, with a lot of stuff up high, and in those cases, it might actually accomplish something, but I doubt it, because your tires are going compress more than the suspension anyways, so again, the rsb is moot. I know Chooglin loads his heavy, he had to add more spring to the rear, but he still removed the sway bar. I honestly, after all the research I've done, and many years of hobby, and professional experience in the automotive world of suspension set-ups, am at a complete loss to explain Honda's suspension choices on the P-500. (aside from cheep-cheep & tuff) So, bottom line (IMHO) 1st- remove the stupid sway bar! It does nothing, but make an already bad suspension set up worse. 2nd.- do one of the suspension upgrades in the P5 suspension thread and find out how amazing independent suspension really is! Phew! glad i got that off my chest!:)

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Dammit Trigger! Now I gotta get my 2cents in.;) The Honda propaganda brags about IRS- Independent Rear Suspension. If you ever watch a P5 going over rough terrain from the back, the rear suspension (stock) barely moves, (or the front for that matter) and when going through ruts, or over big obstacles you will often see the corner to corner teetering act with one wheel on two corners in the air- some of you have seen my videos in the suspension thread demonstrating that one- because the machine is ridiculously over-sprung to begin with- unless loaded very heavy, like stupid heavy- I had 700+ lbs on mine, and still couldn't compress the suspension to get all four wheels on the ground during one of those 'teetering' events- with the rsb removed!. So, what the h** is the point of IRS if it never IRS's to begin with, and then adding an additional, ridiculously over sized torsion spring (rsb) that ties the two sides of the rear suspension together virtually guaranteeing that it will never move independently like it is supposed to? I must concur, that when I removed mine, there was a very slight improvement in ride over the small bumps at higher speed (more than 10mph) but it made no appreciable difference when traversing rough terrain, and definitely did not make the machine 'tippy-er' Some of you might be loading your machines really heavy, with a lot of stuff up high, and in those cases, it might actually accomplish something, but I doubt it, because your tires are going compress more than the suspension anyways, so again, the rsb is moot. I know Chooglin loads his heavy, he had to add more spring to the rear, but he still removed the sway bar. I honestly, after all the research I've done, and many years of hobby, and professional experience in the automotive world of suspension set-ups, am at a complete loss to explain Honda's suspension choices on the P-500. (aside from cheep-cheep & tuff) So, bottom line (IMHO) 1st- remove the stupid sway bar! It does nothing, but make an already bad suspension set up worse. 2nd.- do one of the suspension upgrades in the P5 suspension thread and find out how amazing independent suspension really is! Phew! glad i got that off my chest!:)

Lol, you'll get no argument here. I'm definitely not a suspension guy, just know that it handles better without that sway bar hooked up. I have a pretty good dead load on the back of mine with that big ass box and actually had to crank my shocks up one more notch. I'd love to trick out my suspension more, it's just not my thing. If there was a bolt on to make it better, I would do it.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Lol, you'll get no argument here. I'm definitely not a suspension guy, just know that it handles better without that sway bar hooked up. I have a pretty good dead load on the back of mine with that big ass box and actually had to crank my shocks up one more notch. I'd love to trick out my suspension more, it's just not my thing. If there was a bolt on to make it better, I would do it.
I'm hopeful we're not too far away from a 'bolt on' set up in the near future.

advertisement