Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here is a video of a 2-stroke powered jump starter I should have never sold. It was really cool to have for show and tale but not very practical compared to the smaller jump boxes we have today.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Here is a video of a 2-stroke powered jump starter I should have never sold. It was really cool to have for show and tale but not very practical compared to the smaller jump boxes we have today.

Wow, that's wild joey!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
That's a nice one too. This is what I carry in my rear box in case somebody with me needs a jump, it's the size of a iPhone but still packs 400 amps. Haven't needed to jump a P5 yet, but I've used it on my Jeep, riding mower and JD tractor.

Amazon.com: PowerAll PBJS12000R Rosso Red/Black Portable Power Bank and Car Jump Starter: Automotive

Believe it or not Monte, I have the exact same one as you. It is quite an amazing little device. I have started a stone dead GMC Yukon and a Bobcat Mini-excavator with it. Very, very nice to have.

I have since purchased another one. On memorial day, Rocky Mountain sent out an email with doorbuster specials. They had a similar one (possibly the same one with different label) for $49.99. I got one and put it in the closet. I'm sure someone on my Christmas list will be very happy with it.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That was built in the late 60s to early 70s according to the McCulloch literature I have. It is pretty crazy.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yes, the one I posted a link to is, it's the one I have in the box on my P5. It won't jump a stone cold dead battery on a car/truck, but it will on my riding mower, generators etc. but I jumped my Jeep with it when the battery was at 11 volts, but not enough to turn itself over. The P5 is a small 16 AH battery not unlike my generators which will jump when dead. I keep a large one similar to that in the op in my shop for jumping my heavy equipment and my truck.

The trick to it is to hook it up and leave it for a minute or two before trying to start the dead vehicle. Don't try to start it immediately after hooking it up.

Reactions: joeymt33
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Believe it or not Monte, I have the exact same one as you. It is quite an amazing little device. I have started a stone dead GMC Yukon and a Bobcat Mini-excavator with it. Very, very nice to have.

I have since purchased another one. On memorial day, Rocky Mountain sent out an email with doorbuster specials. They had a similar one (possibly the same one with different label) for $49.99. I got one and put it in the closet. I'm sure someone on my Christmas list will be very happy with it.
That's really cool. The manual that came with mine says it won't jump a stone cold dead battery like that in a truck, guess it's better than I even expected.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The trick to it is to hook it up and leave it for a minute or two before trying to start the dead vehicle. Don't try to start it immediately after hooking it up.
Will do.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
@rocmar definitely a cool product, but not really comparable to a dual battery setup. I own the Stanley by the way and it has worked well for years including cold weather starts. Air compressor will get you on your way. Cons-heavy, bulky.
Actually
6 in 1 is to me
better than dual battery
bulky...heavy
it straps to my rack
& left there...

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I've been seeing those for a year or so. I've wondered if it's possible that they really work.

Montecresto,
you are the first person I've heard of that had the chance to use one. You believe they work well?

I don't see why they won't eventually replace common lead acid batteries.
Put it in the freezer
over nite....
which will prove there not
to be left in the cold...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've been seeing those for a year or so. I've wondered if it's possible that they really work.

Montecresto,
you are the first person I've heard of that had the chance to use one. You believe they work well?

I don't see why they won't eventually replace common lead acid batteries.
@ehart814 has the same one and reports that it functions beyond its packaging claims, weather notwithstanding. I bought mine exclusively to carry on my P5 in the event someone else needs a jump. I haven't had it that long nor put it to the service that ehart has, but what I have done with it, it has met my expectations.

advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Has air....charger...light
AC plugs
USB
STANLEY FAT MAX
DC.....FOR $55View attachment 18609

I'm glad you posted this thread. It has started a good discussion on different types of set ups depending on people's different needs and opinions. I'm not sure if I've seen this topic discussed before so I'll plan on saving this thread for future reference.

I for one actually like a dual battery set up. If using lead acid batteries you're only adding about 20 pounds and is not a big deal. If you use lithium-ion batteries, you're only adding about six or seven extra pounds which is really no problem. Also, the extra battery gives me more time for running the winch or more time running the radio when the engine is not running. Another benefit is, if you have a place to store the extra battery under the seat or under the front hood then you don't lose cargo space on the vehicle.

Your Stanley Pak has a built in compressor and inverter though so that's nice. Right now I am carrying a small compressor that is a standalone unit. So, if I want to carry a jump starter, I will have two items instead of an all in one like yours.

Thanks again, this is interesting stuff and I may have to add a jump starter to my inventory sometime.

Reactions: rocmar
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Like everything, I researched the hell out of this before buying one.
The Stanley was ,as stated, too bulky for me. Energizer makes one comparable.
Best Tek had the best reviews for the price point. $59.
About the size of the one Joey pointed out but way cheaper.
Has USB ports and other crap I won't use. Came with a case.
They say to charge them once a month to keep them up and ready, been three months and still shows full.
Bought a no name digital air compressor with case for $29. My two cents.

Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Like everything, I researched the hell out of this before buying one.
The Stanley was ,as stated, too bulky for me. Energizer makes one comparable.
Best Tek had the best reviews for the price point. $59.
About the size of the one Joey pointed out but way cheaper.
Has USB ports and other crap I won't use. Came with a case.
They say to charge them once a month to keep them up and ready, been three months and still shows full.
Bought a no name digital air compressor with case for $29. My two cents.

The bulky not a problem for
me...it's staying on my rack
I read excellent reviews
on it..Can & will handle
the cold....

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'm glad you posted this thread. It has started a good discussion on different types of set ups depending on people's different needs and opinions. I'm not sure if I've seen this topic discussed before so I'll plan on saving this thread for future reference.

I for one actually like a dual battery set up. If using lead acid batteries you're only adding about 20 pounds and is not a big deal. If you use lithium-ion batteries, you're only adding about six or seven extra pounds which is really no problem. Also, the extra battery gives me more time for running the winch or more time running the radio when the engine is not running. Another benefit is, if you have a place to store the extra battery under the seat or under the front hood then you don't lose cargo space on the vehicle.

Your Stanley Pak has a built in compressor and inverter though so that's nice. Right now I am carrying a small compressor that is a standalone unit. So, if I want to carry a jump starter, I will have two items instead of an all in one like yours.

Thanks again, this is interesting stuff and I may have to add a jump starter to my inventory sometime.

I got it...cause I've been close to
dead battery...from jamming the
stereo. ...
the cost of dual battery
compared to battery PaK
Alot of $ saved....
no need for dual battery
only added small light bar
& stereo

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Actually
6 in 1 is to me
better than dual battery
bulky...heavy
it straps to my rack
& left there...
But a dual battery set up allows you to run accessories without negatively straining factory electrics. But a 6 in 1 does sound nice and it's portable for everyone's use;)

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
But a dual battery set up allows you to run accessories without negatively straining factory electrics. But a 6 in 1 does sound nice and it's portable for everyone's use;)
I've pondered on this
for sometime & determined
this is the most logic way
For me to go

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Haven't tried mine in the cold yet. Haven't had to use it at all come to think of it.
Cold doesn't effect car size batteries
as much as it does small...utv
type...

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Cold doesn't effect car size batteries
as much as it does small...utv
type...

If you live in a cold climate you should buy slightly larger batteries. Some manufactures provide higher capacity batteries for customers that are in cold climates.

I have not tried this but I have read that if your battery will not start the car in subfreezing temperatures, you can run the light or the wind shield wipers for a few minutes and that will actually warm the battery up and and help start it.

That doesn't sound like a stretch to me. I know as a battery is being charged at a high rate or being discharged at a high rate, they do get pretty hot.

Reactions: Eltobgi
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
If you live in a cold climate you should buy slightly larger batteries. Some manufactures provide higher capacity batteries for customers that are in cold climates.

I have not tried this but I have read that if your battery will not start the car in subfreezing temperatures, you can run the light or the wind shield wipers for a few minutes and that will actually warm the battery up and and help start it.

That doesn't sound like a stretch to me. I know as a battery is being charged at a high rate or being discharged at a high rate, they do get pretty hot.
Yes your correct
they have battery blankets
as well..
Cold suck charge from small batteries

advertisement