TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So last night coming down a long hill, my buddies front axle started popping. Did it about 10 times. We stop and checked, and found a little grease around the boot. After that we couldn't get it to replicate the noise in the final 5 miles home. My question is, should he disassemble and see whats going on or just keep riding and carry a extra axle? It only has a 1000 miles and we wasn't in anything yesterday that I could imagine that would break an axle.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So last night coming down a long hill, my buddies front axle started popping. Did it about 10 times. We stop and checked, and found a little grease around the boot. After that we couldn't get it to replicate the noise in the final 5 miles home. My question is, should he disassemble and see whats going on or just keep riding and carry a extra axle? It only has a 1000 miles and we wasn't in anything yesterday that I could imagine that would break an axle.
Sounds like a good excuse to buy upgraded axels or at least a spare then rebuild the damaged one. I've had awesome luck out of the rhino 1.0 axels. I upgraded when I did my control arms and found a torn boot. I keep the stock ones for spares now.

Reactions: TripleB
hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
My driverside rear axle has been making a small popping only when it's cold for the last 500 miles. No leaks around the boot & it doesn't seem to be getting any worse so I'm just gonna run it as is & keep an eye on it.
Check for holes in the boot, if it's leaking where the boot meets the shaft clean it good with carb cleaner & put a small bead of black permatex around it. If it's about to crap out you will know as it will be loud & sound really bad.
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk