P1000 Anyone ever use a time delay relay?

EricG

EricG

Lifetime Member
Jul 19, 2017
North East PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I'm thinking about hooking my dome light direct to battery so I can turn it on even in the machine isn't running. When we go hunting I don't necessarily want the machine on while we are gathering our stuff from the pioneer. The problem I have with this is I have a 2 year old and 4 year old who I know will inevitably flip the switch on me. I see they make these time delayed relays that are programmable. I was wondering if someone here has used one to shut something off. I want to be able to flip the switch and turn the light on but say after 3 minutes the light will automatically go off or I can just kill it with the switch.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I'm thinking about hooking my dome light direct to battery so I can turn it on even in the machine isn't running. When we go hunting I don't necessarily want the machine on while we are gathering our stuff from the pioneer. The problem I have with this is I have a 2 year old and 4 year old who I know will inevitably flip the switch on me. I see they make these time delayed relays that are programmable. I was wondering if someone here has used one to shut something off. I want to be able to flip the switch and turn the light on but say after 3 minutes the light will automatically go off or I can just kill it with the switch.

HELLA 996152131 12 Volt 5 Pin 0-900s Delay Off Time Control Unit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003C508XO/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Gone up but I used this on my 700 it controlled a much larger 70amp relay that fed my fuseblock.

You could also look at Rowe Electronics they have a PDM60 that has capabilities handy for Powersports.

PDM60 | Rowe Electronics

Have it installed on my 1000.

(Build threads are in my signature)

Reactions: EricG
EricG

EricG

Lifetime Member
Jul 19, 2017
North East PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
HELLA 996152131 12 Volt 5 Pin 0-900s Delay Off Time Control Unit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003C508XO/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Gone up but I used this on my 700 it controlled a much larger 70amp relay that fed my fuseblock.

You could also look at Rowe Electronics they have a PDM60 that has capabilities handy for Powersports.

PDM60 | Rowe Electronics

Have it installed on my 1000.

(Build threads are in my signature)
I was looking at that Hella. I have a PDM60 now and its not capable of turning the light off after it is turned on. It has a time delay if something is switched off but has no way of accounting for time when something is left on according to them. I found these other things thant are programmable as well but this s*** is all new to me so I may be getting in over my head here, but hell its fun.

http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/timer-c-68/?zenid=a6201afe0e72064d5c10dc4d1b0c0801

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was looking at that Hella. I have a PDM60 now and its not capable of turning the light off after it is turned on. It has a time delay if something is switched off but has no way of accounting for time when something is left on according to them. I found these other things thant are programmable as well but this s*** is all new to me so I may be getting in over my head here, but hell its fun.

http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/timer-c-68/?zenid=a6201afe0e72064d5c10dc4d1b0c0801

PM me your address I bought one of those and I’ll send it to you if you want. I have absolutely no use for it with the PDM60.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not missing something the PDM60 can do right?

It has a time delay off up to 240 seconds I think. You can turn the dome light circuit off after a 240second delay after the ignition is turned off.

Reactions: EricG
EricG

EricG

Lifetime Member
Jul 19, 2017
North East PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It has a time delay off up to 240 seconds I think. You can turn the dome light circuit off after a 240second delay after the ignition is turned off.
Yep, the rub is I want it live with a time delay and the PDM60 can't do that. It would need to be triggered somehow.

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did you consider a door jamb switch and off delay timer? You can wire the door jamb switch so that when the door is opened, the lights will come on and start the timer... after the timer expires, the lights go off regardless of the door position. Close the door and reopen to start the cycle over again. It would not matter if the door was left open... the lights could not come back on until the door was closed and reopened. Of course, you could use a switch panel rocker either momentary of spst instead of the door jamb switch.

Parts from amazon easy enough.

http://bit.ly/timer22doc

FredD

Last edited:
advertisement
Zax185

Zax185

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2018
Montgomery, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
EricG, I am using a 10 Amp Time Delay Relay that can be programmed from.2 Sec to 400 days.

I have it so my radio and amps do not turn off when I turn the engine off for a few mins, would drive me crazy when I stopped and wanted the radio to keep playing. Also allows me to leave my light bars on for a few mins when I am walking away at night.

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I just completed the control box for my cabin lights that works similar to this if you are interested...

P1000m3 - Haunted Pioneer - The General

FredD