P1000 Another switch plate wiring question

H2oFowler

H2oFowler

May 13, 2017
Memphis,tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This forum has been great for me so far and I have found lots of info on wiring, switch and such, but I am still as confused as ever, so I'm hoping you experts can help a wiring dummies like me!
I've bought a switch plate from amazon that has 4 lighted switches panels that I intend on using for front light bar, rear work lights, interior lights front and rear. Link below
Amazon.com : Purishion 4 Gang Rocker Switch Panel with Dual USB & Power Socket 12V-24V for Car Marine Boat Trailer : Sports & Outdoors
My main questions are do I need fuse block, ground block, relays etc or can I just run two power wires to battery, tap into key on power for switch lighting and ground to frame or battery?
Would appreciate feedback and pics from the experts on best option( sorta of a wiring for dummies!)

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
A fuse block is not a bad idea so you can keep everything fused properly. Relays are not needed until you are trying to switch more of a load than your switches are rated for. I wouldn't bother with a ground block, I ground stuff close to where its mounted, why run a wire all the way back to a block? The switch panel you linked to looks ok, but 4 switches isn't very many, its always nice to have room, for more.

H2oFowler

H2oFowler

May 13, 2017
Memphis,tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A fuse block is not a bad idea so you can keep everything fused properly. Relays are not needed until you are trying to switch more of a load than your switches are rated for. I wouldn't bother with a ground block, I ground stuff close to where its mounted, why run a wire all the way back to a block? The switch panel you linked to looks ok, but 4 switches isn't very many, its always nice to have room, for more.
Appreciate the suggestions and I'll follow your lead.
Winch is the only other item I'll add but plan on having wireless and just plug for remote, so don't think I'll need anymore switchs, however I may rethink it just to have extra.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I thought I would be fine with 4 switches when I bought the honda switch plate/fuse set up, it didn't take long at all before I was wishing for more. I made my own switch plate because I wanted to add a 5th switch and cut one extra for future use.
20170308 143754 zpsrbh3yrnu

Reactions: Nipper
mohawkhondapower

mohawkhondapower

Jan 31, 2018
k-town
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does anyone know what size hole i have to cut in to my plate i made for a volt meter and usb? There both in my garage and I’m away at work so i don’t have the Dimensions on the volt meter hole. Looks like little bigger then an inch hole
I bought this but i took out just the usb and volt meter, not gonna use the switches for now

12C466BF ACAB 410D 9633 6D09948C012C

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone know what size hole i have to cut in to my plate i made for a volt meter and usb? There both in my garage and I’m away at work so i don’t have the Dimensions on the volt meter hole. Looks like little bigger then an inch hole
I bought this but i took out just the usb and volt meter, not gonna use the switches for now

View attachment 70889

Looks like the usb I have.

It measures 1-1/8th”

J

Jaked2694

Nov 29, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m a little stumped maybe just overthinking but I’m running dual battery and have a deep blue sea fuse panel and I’m putting a 288 watt light bar that cam with a harness with a 30a fuse and also a relay. The switch it came with is push button but I bought a 20a rocker switch that I want to use. Is it possible to cut the factory button off and install it to my rocker switch? And also would I have to run a Separate fuse to go to the rocker then back into the light relay???? HELP

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’m a little stumped maybe just overthinking but I’m running dual battery and have a deep blue sea fuse panel and I’m putting a 288 watt light bar that cam with a harness with a 30a fuse and also a relay. The switch it came with is push button but I bought a 20a rocker switch that I want to use. Is it possible to cut the factory button off and install it to my rocker switch? And also would I have to run a Separate fuse to go to the rocker then back into the light relay???? HELP
You should be able to switch to the rocker switch. A 20a switch is more than enough if you use the relay. The switch just activates the relay, drawing maybe 1-2amps. The relay will supply power to the light bar. A 288 light bar will draw about 24amps. (watts divided by volts = amps) power to the relay should be on its own circuit, fused to handle 30a. Power to the rocker switch can come from a source that is activated the key switch, ( cigarette lighter) that is already fused, so another fuse is not required. Hope that helps on how to wire it.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Another option for a source to the rocker switch, others have used the high beam light circuit as a source, that way you will only have power to the light bar when on high beam. Run that to the rocker switch then you can still shut off the light bar completely.

advertisement
J

Jaked2694

Nov 29, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
would I be able to run 16g wire from a 20amp fuse from my added fuse box and possibly jump 2 or 3 rocker switches for power?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
would I be able to run 16g wire from a 20amp fuse from my added fuse box and possibly jump 2 or 3 rocker switches for power?

Depends on what you are trying to power generally accepted maximum load for each gauge is below.
If you are running a longer distance the maximum load on a certain size wire is going to drop with distance.
2Ga 95Amps
6Ga 55Amps
10Ga 30Amps
12Ga 20Amps
14Ga 15Amps
16Ga 10Amps
18Ga 7Amps

Reactions: sharp