Alternator or battery?

gauspohl4305

gauspohl4305

Supporting Member
Aug 25, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X
So this past weekend while doing some night riding I noticed my lightbar would almost dim down for a second then come back full strength. I am running the dual battery setup with all accessories running off secondary battery. The only additional accessory I'm running off the main battery is Chupacabra led cubes for the headlights. I was running my 40" rough country dual row lightbar, tusk seat heater (only 1 seat), and wicked Pecker Off-road heater. Watching my dual volt meter, I noticed my secondary battery would drop to roughly 10.8 volts and primary would drop to roughly 11 volts as the voltages were fluctuating quit a bit. I turned all the accessories off except the light bar and turned off my brights on the headlights and still noticed the sporadic dimming and voltage all over the place. I also have a torque locker so not sure if that eliminates any additional power required since I'm not utilizing the i-4WD. Would this be a sign of the primary battery starting to fail? Any thoughts, I have checked all wiring and no loose connections that I can find.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
need pics of your rig, you may be asking for someone else , need proof u own this

need pics of isolator\battery\etc....

describe voltage jumping around, when sitting, when bouncing around, etc....

advice to check

-main positive wire rubbing somewhere
-loose\corroded ground
-voltage idling with nothing on, voltage idling with everything on = both batteries
-have both batteries tested
-failing\cracked positive post going to ground

if u have everything off, and both batteries are still doing it, its something common

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So this past weekend while doing some night riding I noticed my lightbar would almost dim down for a second then come back full strength. I am running the dual battery setup with all accessories running off secondary battery. The only additional accessory I'm running off the main battery is Chupacabra led cubes for the headlights. I was running my 40" rough country dual row lightbar, tusk seat heater (only 1 seat), and wicked Pecker Off-road heater. Watching my dual volt meter, I noticed my secondary battery would drop to roughly 10.8 volts and primary would drop to roughly 11 volts as the voltages were fluctuating quit a bit. I turned all the accessories off except the light bar and turned off my brights on the headlights and still noticed the sporadic dimming and voltage all over the place. I also have a torque locker so not sure if that eliminates any additional power required since I'm not utilizing the i-4WD. Would this be a sign of the primary battery starting to fail? Any thoughts, I have checked all wiring and no loose connections that I can find.
Test batteries?

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Have you tested both batteries? If they're good then maybe check grounds...??

We need a little more info on the machine though..... POIDH!!!😂