P1000 Alright, last chance to talk me out of it

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On an unrelated note - I have always broken my rides in easily, but the guys here are correct in saying don't be leery of driving it aggressively mixed in with your cruising. Once I got to around 70 miles, I began running it in sport mode to help wear everything in before my first service at a little over 100 miles, and after multiple uses at higher RPMs the shifting began improving and "learning." Couple this with the first service, and everything seemed to gel around 150 miles. Next up is some thicker dope in the rear-end, and I imagine It'll be even quieter. My rear-end whine is still there as you alluded to, however the "chatter" has gone away almost 100%.
WAIT TILL YOU HAVE 1200 MILES PLUS ON IT. EVEN QUIETER. I ALMOST RAN OVER SOME ELK AROUND A CORNER THEY DIDN'T HEAR ME COMING AT DUSK. VERY HAPPY WITH MY PIONEER .

0521161257a 0620161253 0625161246

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
WAIT TILL YOU HAVE 1200 MILES PLUS ON IT. EVEN QUIETER. I ALMOST RAN OVER SOME ELK AROUND A CORNER THEY DIDN'T HEAR ME COMING AT DUSK. VERY HAPPY WITH MY PIONEER .

View attachment 17987 View attachment 17988 View attachment 17989
Ya I had 1600 on my last one it was an eye opener for me when I got this one just how much louder it was but even at 300 on this one already its setting in nicely. I'll say it again it's nice to have a rig that gets better over time!

Reactions: joeymt33
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well...

I have about 20 miles on it. Most of them were up and down that hill you can see in the first picture. My wife really likes it. My dogs REALLY, REALLY like it.

Me.....

There are some things that I really like and some things that I don't.

-Suspension is MUCH better than I was thinking it was going to be, of course, I drive like an old man so that doesn't take much. :)
-Noise level is MUCH lower than I thought it was going to be, wind noise is WAY louder than the machine at 20 MPH, my wife and I could easily hold a conversation at normal speaking voices at our preferred riding speeds
-Seat is very comfortable and it is very, very easy to get into and out of
-I didn't have any foot cramps or fatigue even though I was going fairly slow
-Seatbelts are much nicer than the ones in the Wolverine
-Low range first gear is plenty of engine braking for me, high range is a little too fast for my liking
-Shifting wasn't anywhere near as loud as the first unit we tried
-Headlights are super bright
-Side netting worked out good to keep the morons (dogs) in the bed long enough for them to realize how much fun it was
-Awesome turning radius, it feels like it is tighter than my lawn mower
-Turf mode works great, no tearing up the yard at all
-EPS is awesome, I put it in Diff Lock 4WD and went down the hill and came back up just to make sure that it engaged and while I could tell that it was slightly harder to turn than in turf, it was still no real work
-I also found the engine noise/vibration to be non-existent, especially compared to the Wolverine. The thumper in the Wolverine had a particularly annoying vibration and Honda was very smooth, even nicer than the Kawi on my JD mower

Dislikes:

-HOT! It wasn't as bad as I feared but it wasn't as good as I had hoped. It was very much like riding on my Rincon. It won't drive me out of the cab but I can definitely tell it is there. I don't like the fact that it is coming from both the front and the rear. I am going to wait and see what Honda comes up with but I think I may have some ideas of what I can do to make it better. I do work in the NFRC industry but it is annoying that I need to do that on something that I paid this much for
-Those stupid nets....
-While I don't mind the shifting, at times, when under a load, the gearbox whines and literally sounds like my grade school bus used to sound. I think we had a 1950's or '60's Chevy bus and it would do the same Waaww, wawwww, wawww under a load starting out. I don't hate it, but it is sometimes pretty loud
-Brakes are terrible, I had to check to make sure that it actually had fluid in it. I don't remember the other two we tested have brakes that felt so stiff and non-existent at the same time. There is no pedal travel at all and you have to be pretty forceful to get it to stop. Luckily because of the engine braking it doesn't really need much but man, my Rincon had much more "fluffy" brakes. Is there a pedal adjustment?
-The Honda CV guards are terrible designs. The front doesn't really cover the CV boot at all but I looked online and neither does anyone else's design either. So I guess I just need to keep an eye on the outside boots on the front
-No storage on board to speak of, I wish it had some other places to put stuff. I hate to have to buy that bag to put stuff in but I haven't looked under the seats yet
-For what it costs, the bedliner really isn't that great

All in all, I do like it so far. Not as much as I had hoped but I like it better than I was worried that I would.

I am planning on going to the farm this weekend, if it isn't pouring rain, and taking my brother out and about to get his opinion.
Put some more miles on it. It takes a while to learn how to drive it and get used to all the strange sounds it makes. Being that you have put only 20 miles on it is like judging a book by its cover! Give it time and congrats on the new ride. Be safe!

Reactions: CumminsPusher