P1000 Air intake relocation

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I finally made up my mind how I was going to relocate my air intake. While I was at it I made some covers for the big openings on each side of the wheel wells.
IMG 1577
IMG 1587
IMG 1588

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What's the point of those openings in the first place?

I don't really know, but if you shine a light up in the openings you can see that a big splash of water has a direct path to the backside of the dash and under hood.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

So where does it draw when the lid is on? How does water get in it??

advertisement
J

JTW

@1BadDart,
Put some pins through that pre-filter. It will suck it in! I did samething and mine went missing. Found it in the air box.

@JTW, no one knows for sure.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
It looks like a good design to NOT allow water intrusion. Could the bikes affected be sucking it in from something loose someplace else?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
It looks like a good design to NOT allow water intrusion. Could the bikes affected be sucking it in from something loose someplace else?
Could. There was a report of a clamp point being kinked on the tube under the seat/floor board. You could stick your finger in the hole.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So where does it draw when the lid is on? How does water get in it??

Take your lid off and remove the pre filter, on the front side of the well you'll see the hole in the plastic where most of the air comes in. In my first photo there is a piece of aluminum riveted in covering the opening. There have been a couple ( how many ?) machines hydro-locked and ruined the engines, the general consensus is that the water is coming through the opening. To my little mind it looks easier to flood under hood through the two large openings in the wheel wells. That's why I made the covers in the second post.

I can't imagine any of the engineers at Honda thinking it was a good idea to put the air intake at one of the lowest points under the hood knowing how these machines would be used. They essentially created a bowl for water to collect in.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hondasxs
I'll run a couple brazing rods through the tube for the pre-filter to rest on. Thanks for the tip.

J

JTW

Could. There was a report of a clamp point being kinked on the tube under the seat/floor board. You could stick your finger in the hole.
Now that makes more sense to me.. unless the machine wash submerged I just don't see how water could splash up and in there??

J

JTW

Take your lid off and remove the pre filter, on the front side of the well you'll see the hole in the plastic where most of the air comes in. In my first photo there is a piece of aluminum riveted in covering the opening. There have been a couple ( how many ?) machines hydro-locked and ruined the engines, the general consensus is that the water is coming through the opening. To my little mind it looks easier to flood under hood through the two large openings in the wheel wells. That's why I made the covers in the second post.

I can't imagine any of the engineers at Honda thinking it was a good idea to put the air intake at one of the lowest points under the hood knowing how these machines would be used. They essentially created a bowl for water to collect in.
I just don't see that hole as the issue unless you're riding deep.. I get that it's a bowl if you run in deep water but a splash I just can't understand!? I don't like to get my ass wet.. so I can't imagine it not being high enough for me.. lol

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I just don't see that hole as the issue unless you're riding deep.. I get that it's a bowl if you run in deep water but a splash I just can't understand!? I don't like to get my ass wet.. so I can't imagine it not being high enough for me.. lol
@JTW I think that it has something to do with the strength of the vacuum created by the engine. When riding through shallow water and creating the splash, some is ingested and accumulated at the bottom of the tubes until a point where the tube begins to fill. When full the engine ingests it like drinking from a straw. That is why there is a lot of discussion on adding a removable drain plug to the underside of the plastic tubing to drain water accumulated over time. I can say that there is evidence of water being sucked throughout my tubes and into the Filter Housing. I say better safe than sorry! The @joeymt33 snorkle is bad ass! also protect you gas, fan, diffs, and cable box by extending vents upward;)

J

JTW

@JTW I think that it has something to do with the strength of the vacuum created by the engine. When riding through shallow water and creating the splash, some is ingested and accumulated at the bottom of the tubes until a point where the tube begins to fill. When full the engine ingests it like drinking from a straw. That is why there is a lot of discussion on adding a removable drain plug to the underside of the plastic tubing to drain water accumulated over time. I can say that there is evidence of water being sucked throughout my tubes and into the Filter Housing. I say better safe than sorry! The @joeymt33 snorkle is bad ass! also protect you gas, fan, diffs, and cable box by extending vents upward;)
I'll take your alls word for it.. it just perplexes me! Who has the best snorkel build? As how much more noise are you picking up from the front located snorkels?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If you put your hand over the intake you'll see just what kind of suction it has and especially at throttle it's crazy! Anything in that area gets pulled in. I love the Joey setup on mine it's not much louder till going through the gears hard then it sounds bad ass! I like a quiet machine too but love that sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW and sharp
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'll take your alls word for it.. it just perplexes me! Who has the best snorkel build? As how much more noise are you picking up from the front located snorkels?
I'm a fan of @joeymt33 's design! It is a slightly magnified roar under high RPM! Believe me...I can have mine at full speed and still have a conversation with whomever is crazy enough to get in with me!:rolleyes:

advertisement