P500 About to pull trigger...

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
Bigbore, I am going to have to sell one set or the other. I live in my RV full-time, and my garage/shop is a 14' cargo trailer. No room for a spare wheelset.

So...how much did you end up selling the OEM set for?

Joe

I do have some storage space but didn't want to take it up with something I knew I wasn't going to use. They went for $100, and even at that price response was not stellar. It took almost 5 weeks to sell them and almost 2 weeks at $100.

S

Sledge

I do have some storage space but didn't want to take it up with something I knew I wasn't going to use. They went for $100, and even at that price response was not stellar. It took almost 5 weeks to sell them and almost 2 weeks at $100.
Yow! Giveaway indeed!

To complicate matters, I just figured out that the entry to my trailer is 74" high, and the specs of a stock P500 indicate 72.4".

Of course, when the roof peak pivots inside as it goes up the ramp will be critical (it looks like it should clear while the rear wheels are still a few inches down on the ramp), but I may not be able to run taller than stock.

Hmmm. Ain't much simple in this life....

Joe

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks all. The oil was clear, so maybe he had changed it after all.

Just the fact that he said there was nothing to it made me wonder after reading the oil change thread on this forum.

Looks like there's a LOT to it to me, at least with the filter. I only have one arm, and I'm not confident that I can do that.

I'm not too cheap to pay for it to be done, but my experience with the "mechanics" at motorcycle shops is plumb scary. $110/hr is a lot to pay a 19 year old kid to abuse my baby.

Added to that, I think they charge for work they don't do. With all the work that filter change entails, I can see them saying they changed it when they didn't.

Maybe I have trust issues. :)

I'm encouraged by your experience, Montecresto. Heck, my Honda 2kw generator doesn't even have an oil filter.

Maybe I'll just change the oil and call it good for now. I'll be in Colorado in the fall, where my hunting buddy is a Honda guy who does all his own work, and can help me change the filter.

Joe
I agree with your assessment of mechanics, but I'm glad you've got a hunting buddy that knows Honda to help you out. I have two Honda generators myself, both 6 K, one 12 years old, one 18, neither of which have oil filters and they get an oil change every few years!!!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
It's not that big of a deal. When I pulled my oil, it had nothing in it. I cut open that joke of a filter and found nothing in it either. I left the drain plug out over night to get the last drop out. My second change was oil only. The thing is, if Honda actually had a filter in there besides that thimble, it might be worth the trouble. I'm pulling the plug, leaving it out overnight, and then topping it off with new BRT synthetic. I'll probably change that stupid filter every other time or so.

I can't believe Honda would go to all the trouble of incorporating that filter into the engine design if it wasn't doing something.

Can u tell how much the viscosity the oil lost by looking at it? Or how depleted the additives are? Just because the oil isn't black or doesn't have chunks of metal in it doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed.

S

Sledge

I can't believe Honda would go to all the trouble of incorporating that filter into the engine design if it wasn't doing something.

Can u tell how much the viscosity the oil lost by looking at it? Or how depleted the additives are? Just because the oil isn't black or doesn't have chunks of metal in it doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed.
I think you are helping Montecresto make his point, ehart.

Depleted additives and degraded viscosity aren't filter issues, are they?

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

But I never said that the oil shouldn't be changed!!!??? I simply pointed out that the P-5 wasn't damaged had it gone 400 miles without an oil change. I change my oil often, shorter intervals than prescribed. But I'll not be changing that filter every time, it's rather a joke. Honda should have given us a sizeable spin on filter.

S

Sledge

But I never said that the oil shouldn't be changed!!!??? I simply pointed out that the P-5 wasn't damaged had it gone 400 miles without an oil change. I change my oil often, shorter intervals than prescribed. But I'll not be changing that filter every time, it's rather a joke. Honda should have given us a sizeable spin on filter.

Maybe those inscrutable Japanese are telling us, in their inscrutable Japanese way, that:

Our engines are built so well that they don't need no stinking round-eye filter! We only put in because you are stupid! Just change oil now and then, American fool! HAI!!!"

Reckon? :)

Joe

Reactions: ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I agree that a spin on filter would be great to have, to make changing it easier.

I guess I just don't see changing the cartridge style filter as that much of an inconvenience. Sorry for getting the thread so off track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Maybe those inscrutable Japanese are telling us, in their inscrutable Japanese way, that:

Our engines are built so well that they don't need no stinking round-eye filter! We only put in because you are stupid! Just change oil now and then, American fool! HAI!!!"

Joe

Haha! If only...

Maybe they are making their real money selling millions of those little filters!

:)

S

Sledge

Haha! If only...

Maybe they are making their real money selling millions of those little filters!

:) :) :)

All I know for sure is that if Honda ever brings out a diesel 1-ton dually, I'll drop Cummins/Ram like a hot potato. :)

Well, after the first year, anyway. Everyone makes mistakes.

Joe

advertisement
S

Sledge

All I know for sure is that if Honda ever brings out a diesel 1-ton dually, I'll drop Cummins/Ram like a hot potato. :)

Joe
Dang. I just hijacked my own thread.

Beer is remarkably tasty this lovely Sunday afternoon. :)

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Joe
Lol, you big kidder you. I don't wish to leave the impression that the P-5 isn't any good. I love mine and have narrow complaints, the oil filter design is chief amongst them.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Haha! If only...

Lol, probably, they do get near ten pesos for that bugger. I bought a half dozen on line at about three bucks a piece, though seldom as I'll change them, it's a lifetime supply.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Dang. I just hijacked my own thread.

Beer is remarkably tasty this lovely Sunday afternoon. :)

Joe
It is indeed. I just pulled the top off the boat, it fired up like I'd just been out in it this morning, even though it's been sitting there since the lake was drawn down in November. Wifey has the beer chest ready to go, so.......adios amigos!

S

Sledge

Lol, you big kidder you. I don't wish to leave the impression that the P-5 isn't any good. I love mine and have narrow complaints, the oil filter design is chief amongst them.

You have certainly never given the impression that you have anything but love for the little rascal, Sir.

I have read the whole bunch of old threads, so I can say that with confidence.

I have narrow complaints about it too, but it needs to fit inside those durn narrow 50" gates in elk country.

Joe

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

Joe
I want that! Even tho I don't need a full size diesel!

S

Sledge

I want that! Even tho I don't need a full size diesel!

Bad news. I told the seller about my trailer height issues, and resultant disinterest in the big dogs, and made an offer which excluded them.

He responded cordially, but negatively, to my offer.

We didn't hug, but we might have if we weren't communicating by text. Probably not, though.

Anyway, no P500 for me just now.

I still want one, more than ever in fact, and thank y'all for your patient help.

I can buy a new one for $9170 out the door, and may just do.

Onward and upward!

Joe

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Bad news. I told the seller about my trailer height issues, and resultant disinterest in the big dogs, and made an offer which excluded them.

He responded cordially, but negatively, to my offer.

We didn't hug, but we might have if we weren't communicating by text. Probably not, though.

Anyway, no P500 for me just now.

I still want one, more than ever in fact, and thank y'all for your patient help.

I can buy a new one for $9170 out the door, and may just do.

Onward and upward!

Joe
You will find a deal... I got somewhat impatient and bought one a few weeks ago. I got a new 2016 for around $8850 out the door, with the windshield and soft roof it was right around $9200... 6% sales tax included - everything. Keep working them. I know I didn't get the best deal around but I'm happy with it. At least if u get new u have a warranty and no worries... $9170 otd isn't bad.... Would be really nice to get the first service thrown in the deal, including the valve adjustment. My dealer wanted to charge $250 for that.

Maybe it wasn't meant to be, or maybe the guy will change his mind tomorrow.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You have certainly never given the impression that you have anything but love for the little rascal, Sir.

I have read the whole bunch of old threads, so I can say that with confidence.

I have narrow complaints about it too, but it needs to fit inside those durn narrow 50" gates in elk country.

Joe
Absolutely Sledge!!!! I have a bit of elk country just below where you hunt and the trails are restricted there too.

S

Sledge

You will find a deal... I got somewhat impatient and bought one a few weeks ago. I got a new 2016 for around $8850 out the door, with the windshield and soft roof it was right around $9200... 6% sales tax included - everything. Keep working them. I know I didn't get the best deal around but I'm happy with it. At least if u get new u have a warranty and no worries... $9170 otd isn't bad.... Would be really nice to get the first service thrown in the deal, including the valve adjustment. My dealer wanted to charge $250 for that.

Maybe it wasn't meant to be, or maybe the guy will change his mind tomorrow.

Thanks, ehart. I kinda think it wasn't meant to be. For 420 miles, it just seemed rode hard. Bent bumper, dings here and there.

And, as I said, I didn't trust him on the oil change.

In the end, I was relieved he didn't take my offer.

I pray for guidance on important decisions, so I don't question how they work out.

I tend to trust my gut. Saving $2000 is not inconsequential, but it ain't the whole world, either.

I don't really need it till September, so I got time.

Anyone know when the '17s will come out? Sure would like to see a glovebox and some built-in storage.

Maybe a better rear rack, or a bed.

Better tires, too.

Or maybe they'll drop the p500 altogether, and I'll buy a new '16 real cheap.

I don't think they are selling many, at least here in Texas.

Joe

advertisement