P1000 4,604 mile report & Clutch Info

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
My Pioneer 1000 3 has been great. Lots of power and top speed. Some of you guys scare me with some of the clutch failures but I know for most failures it takes a lot of slipping to heat it up enough for clutch plate damage. I'm careful to avoid clutch wear and get going right away. I keep the RPM above 3000 most of the time. It looks like the clutch is not slipping above 1800 rpm. I keep the speed at or above 4 mph in low and 6 mph in high for a good safety margin. I go to remote areas and need good reliability. Occasionally its necessary to stop or nearly stop to avoid banging the frame and brief low rpm clutch slipping is no problem. I don't mind donating a minute amount of clutch material to get through some difficult areas. I use my Pioneer 700 for super low speed rock crawling. Inching along at 1 mph is no problem with the torque converter plus I use my left foot on the brake a bit to avoid bouncing.View attachment 32528
Hey, what's the wheel/tire combo in your picture? Looks like you went same size at all four corners, like I did on my Pioneer 500. I'm playing with the idea of doing a P1000 test and video series, and with some of the rough/rocky areas I ride in it would be good to have a tire setup like yours. I'm mostly curious about size.