H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My Pioneer 1000 3 has been great. Lots of power and top speed. Some of you guys scare me with some of the clutch failures but I know for most failures it takes a lot of slipping to heat it up enough for clutch plate damage. I'm careful to avoid clutch wear and get going right away. I keep the RPM above 3000 most of the time. It looks like the clutch is not slipping above 1800 rpm. I keep the speed at or above 4 mph in low and 6 mph in high for a good safety margin. I go to remote areas and need good reliability. Occasionally its necessary to stop or nearly stop to avoid banging the frame and brief low rpm clutch slipping is no problem. I don't mind donating a minute amount of clutch material to get through some difficult areas. I use my Pioneer 700 for super low speed rock crawling. Inching along at 1 mph is no problem with the torque converter plus I use my left foot on the brake a bit to avoid bouncing.
DSC 0055

Jamesgang

Jamesgang

Jan 29, 2017
Kitzmiller, Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As a new owner it's good to read good story's about these. Most of the time it's all the bad things. Mine only has about 8 miles on it. baby it around like a child. lol. when it is in auto it seams like it goes through the gear so fast. I haven't had it over 30 m.p.h as of now. every time I give it gas or it shifts my ass puckers just waiting on something to go south.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As a new owner it's good to read good story's about these. Most of the time it's all the bad things. Mine only has about 8 miles on it. baby it around like a child. lol. when it is in auto it seams like it goes through the gear so fast. I haven't had it over 30 m.p.h as of now. every time I give it gas or it shifts my ass puckers just waiting on something to go south.

Bear in mind - on most forums I visit ( boats , RV, trucks , SXS's ) i'd say 90% of posts are negative and i'd say of that 75% could easily be fixed with a bit of research or elbow grease...tons of people out having fun and not posting about it..

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Also so forum member are usually really into there Boat, RV, Truck, or SXS and are not the casual owner, or the other breed is those that have trashed it and looking for a cheap and easy fix.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I would highly suggest doing the clutch reset procedure and let it begin learning the way you drive it... and then go out and drive it like you want to. Don't baby it. Drive it! They like to be worked and they like to go fast.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I ride over 15,000 miles a year. Just got 8,600 miles on my 2016 Yamaha YXZ. I use it for fast paced rides. My Camo Pioneer 700 just turned 5,000 miles and I sold my red 700 with over 7,000. Hondas have the least problems. A lot of the P1000 clutch failures are from extreme use, large tires, super low speed crawling, and hammering the throttle when stuck bad. Its easy to get pissed when getting stuck where the wheels won't turn with WOT. When in manual mode the ECU will downshift for you as you slow down. If you watch the tach you will see it downshift just below 2,000 rpm to prevent clutch slippage. The clutch should last for about 60,000 miles or more with careful use. Do I want a much lower low range and reverse gear the answer is a big yes. I like huge tires and lots of ground clearance and for that we have the mud models but I just hate belt drive, Polaris, and Can-Am. If I did extreme riding with my P1000 I would install a Portal Gear Lift and run 28 inch mud tires. 32's would be way better but the clutch would not last as long unless your very careful and probably lucky too. I had lots of failures on my 4 Yamaha UTV's, 2 Teryx UTV's, and 3 Polaris UTV's. Since December 2004 I have put on over 90,000 miles on UTV's. I just hate fixing all the failures and rebuilding belt drives and changing belts. I had to give up Mt Bike Racing, motorcycles, and Quads several years ago. Fortunately the UTV's have a high fun factor and most of my friends have one now. They say with age comes the cage.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I ride over 15,000 miles a year. Just got 8,600 miles on my 2016 Yamaha YXZ. I use it for fast paced rides. My Camo Pioneer 700 just turned 5,000 miles and I sold my red 700 with over 7,000. Hondas have the least problems. A lot of the P1000 clutch failures are from extreme use, large tires, super low speed crawling, and hammering the throttle when stuck bad. Its easy to get pissed when getting stuck where the wheels won't turn with WOT. When in manual mode the ECU will downshift for you as you slow down. If you watch the tach you will see it downshift just below 2,000 rpm to prevent clutch slippage. The clutch should last for about 60,000 miles or more with careful use. Do I want a much lower low range and reverse gear the answer is a big yes. I like huge tires and lots of ground clearance and for that we have the mud models but I just hate belt drive, Polaris, and Can-Am. If I did extreme riding with my P1000 I would install a Portal Gear Lift and run 28 inch mud tires. 32's would be way better but the clutch would not last as long unless your very careful and probably lucky too. I had lots of failures on my 4 Yamaha UTV's, 2 Teryx UTV's, and 3 Polaris UTV's. Since December 2004 I have put on over 90,000 miles on UTV's. I just hate fixing all the failures and rebuilding belt drives and changing belts. I had to give up Mt Bike Racing, motorcycles, and Quads several years ago. Fortunately the UTV's have a high fun factor and most of my friends have one now. They say with age comes the cage.
U put more miles on sxs's than I do in my truck! Wish I had close enough places to ride more. Maybe we'll have a stronger clutch pack soon when the clutch guy gets done.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
No doubt about it there have been a lot of clutch failures but Honda probably sold 10,000 Pioneer 1000's last year. My dealer has had 3 failures and Honda covered all three. I don't think the clutch is the problem. I think a much lower low range and reverse gear will prevent most of the clutch problems and I think Honda should test with 30 inch tires in gumbo mud. A lot of dealers install 28 inch tires and some put on 30's. It will be interesting to see the clutch in the sport model using the 1000 engine package. I have 28's on Pioneer 1000.

Reactions: moparornocar
advertisement
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The clutch is a pretty complicated unit. Lower gears would definitely help. We've got some promising info in the supporting members forum on the clutch. So far mines been good.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Friend up north is probably at 3500 now he rides same terrain and speeds as us he has yet to have a problem. @HoundDog whatcha got now??
We would've been well over 3000k no problems I'm positive on our first rig by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Friend up north is probably at 3500 now he rides same terrain and speeds as us he has yet to have a problem. @HoundDog whatcha got now??
We would've been 3000k no problems on our first rig by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have 50 miles lmao. I get to use it today (after having not seen it in two weeks) and then I'm off tomorrow and I'll be on the P7 for a few weeks. I need to spend some time with her anyway, she's like the red headed step child to me. I really don't want to offend anyone with that, it's just my opinion and I have all three of them to regularly compare to one another. I'm going to go use the P7 some more, only about 100 miles on it to date. :)

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My Pioneer 1000-3 is frame number 00024. Got over 5,000 miles on it now and just turned 5,000 miles on my camo 2014 Pioneer 700. My buddy bought my red Pioneer 700 and is near 10,000 miles now. I think the 2017 P1000 clutches are the same and the 2nd, 4th, and 6th gear clutch has very little failure or none so probably no problem with the clutches just hard use. My P1000-3 has the Fox Shocks and the only thing I don't like is the seat back. I may install a Kawasaki Teryx seat back next.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was going to add a bunch of weight to mine with add ons, changed my mind going to to keep it as light as possible, add shocks and stock sized tires and rims

Reactions: JACKAL
R

RiverRider450es

Apr 1, 2017
Port mcNicoll, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My Pioneer 1000 3 has been great. Lots of power and top speed. Some of you guys scare me with some of the clutch failures but I know for most failures it takes a lot of slipping to heat it up enough for clutch plate damage. I'm careful to avoid clutch wear and get going right away. I keep the RPM above 3000 most of the time. It looks like the clutch is not slipping above 1800 rpm. I keep the speed at or above 4 mph in low and 6 mph in high for a good safety margin. I go to remote areas and need good reliability. Occasionally its necessary to stop or nearly stop to avoid banging the frame and brief low rpm clutch slipping is no problem. I don't mind donating a minute amount of clutch material to get through some difficult areas. I use my Pioneer 700 for super low speed rock crawling. Inching along at 1 mph is no problem with the torque converter plus I use my left foot on the brake a bit to avoid bouncing.View attachment 32528
That clutch engaging at 1800rpm , is very high, lowering this will make it feel like a bag but the engine will not be producing as much friction heat and the torque of the engine wouldn't be so high on the clutches. A single cylinder quad is usually much lower my john Deere buck ext is 1600 rpm and that is so noticeable compared to the short wheelbase Traxter and bucks which lock up at 1300

What oil you using?

The new electrical 4wd system will be a real let down compared to a fully locked setup, it'll probably cause enough of a delay you ll be stuck with 2 wheels spinning your big tires overpowering the system. This new system sounds like ATTS which started on the sh vtec Honda prelude

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I use Mobile One 10w40 motorcycle oil. I'm at 5,412 miles now and run 28 inch tires. My YXZ Yamaha is at 9,778 and its great to put on the miles and not have to keep dealing with broken or worn out belts and belt drives. They both run like new. I have Dibs on the 1st sport model. It will be interesting to see how the new front drive works and if it is as good as the current locker I will be surprised. I don't use my locker much but always get it engaged before I need it. I have to turn back and forth a bit and sometimes I have to back up a little to get it locked. I like the new system but for extreme rock crawling it may not be as good. I don't do any extreme rock crawling with my 1000. I think its too heavy and I don't want to abuse the clutch. Short use under 3 mph in low is no problem. It takes a lot of slipping to over heat up the clutch.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Reactions: HondaTech
advertisement