P1000 2wd lock vs turf for on road(pavement/concrete).

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run in turf mode most of the time, then go directly into i4WD, I normally shift into i4WD long before I need it, as sometimes it takes 20 yards or so, before it locks in. Once I'm on the dirt/gravel into i4WD it goes, no downside that I can notice..... YMMV

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run in turf mode most of the time, then go directly into i4WD, I normally shift into i4WD long before I need it, as sometimes it takes 20 yards or so, before it locks in. Once I'm on the dirt/gravel into i4WD it goes, no downside that I can notice..... YMMV

Oh yeah? So how many tanks have you pulled out of ditches, huh, big guy?! :)

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I live in Arizona which allows UTV's to be licensed for on-road use. Now that I have 70 hrs and 600 miles on my '16 1000-5 deluxe(mostly off road), I'm noticing in forums that maybe when driving on asphalt or other hard surface the drive mode should be "turf". Am I getting this right? I double checked the owners manual but never gave a thought to it 'til now when I started noticing a little slippage on the inside rear tire when making a turn. The light bulb came on and I then decided to check the forum which I'm rarely on. Of course, no mention by the dealer on sales or delivery. All seems to be working OK for now and I just hope I haven't messed up my differential. Thoughts?
I run my 2018 in turf mode the majority of the time. If the trails are starting to get a little sketchy or I’m going to be in a sand wash for more than a couple hundred feet, I’ll put it in 2wd lock. No trouble so far. FWD open when the terrain requires it and FWD lock if the climb looks like I might have one of the front wheels way off the ground at some point.

Biteme

Biteme

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2020
North West New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2016 P1K-5, stay in Turf mode, If i start losing traction (usually climbing steep terrain) I put it in 2 rear lock, If i will be climbing extreme steep terrain I put in 4 lock, nothing worse than losing traction, locking all 4 together and then attempting to start moving forward on a steep sandstone rock, unfortunately the machine s not geared low enough.

advertisement
JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
AZ guy here also. Turf mode always unless more traction required. For sure turf mode on pavement.

I find on loose gravel/dusty roads 2wd is often better than turf - tracks a bit more steady (especially at speed) and the locked rear can slip tire traction readily on the loose surface.

95% of the time 2wd gets me through trail situations I'd never imagine 2wd would do. Even in the rocks/climbintg/crawling.

Then sometimes you go 4wd locked because you gotta get out of what you've gotten yourself into.

But yeah, turf mode on pavement.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use turf mode quite a lot all pavement and gravel roads. I shift to 2wd (Rr Diff Lock) on the intermediate trails. 4wd (unlocked Frt Diff) for harder stuff and then lock the Frt Diff before I think that the SHTF. It requires a bit of "anticipation" but better to be locked and loaded before you hit the "BAD" stuff.

R

richardhowland6626

Mar 29, 2022
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-3
Wow!!! Great info. Only got 500 miles on my new P-1000 tires seem to be wearing quick. A lot of blacktop. Defiantly be going to turf mode. I love this site!!
THANKS EVERYONE!!!!