P1000 2021 Second Battery Install Observations

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just installed a second battery into my 2021 Pioneer 1000-5 using the True Smart Isolator Kit. Other than one brief "why did I do that" bright flash of arcing, all is good, meaning that I did not weld any of my wrenches to the tubular frame. Reading through most of the threads here, I still have a question about dual voltmeters which I will post next.

But first my observations before I forget what I learned:

1) I did use the PosiTap 20-22 AWG to tap into one of the two the black and white 15 Amp Aux wires coming out of the passenger side of the fuse box. I confirmed that this was hot after the fuse by removing the fuse which killed the voltage. Of course there is only power with the ignition on and the fuse in. I did this _before_ I put in the battery.
2) I did install the Odyssey L adapters and the PC925 battery with a good fit.
3) I did put a strap around the battery so that I can easily lift the battery up and out if necessary. The strap was also helpful while installing the battery.
4) I should have placed a "rubber" mat under the battery. Too much trouble now.
5) The high amperage positive input to the winch solenoid is now connected _directly_ to the second battery. The OEM Honda low amperage winch controller is still keyed to the ignition (duh).
6) The blue light in the True Smart came on when I started the engine and stayed on for a few hours after I stopped the engine until the battery voltage dropped. Starting the engine and turning on the lights will not make the blue light go out no matter how long you wait unless you run out of gas (obvious to me now)! You can turn the ignition on without starting the engine, then turn on the lights and as the voltage drops the blue light will go out (duh).
7) I ending up running down to the auto parts store and bought another pair of plastic post protectors. They did not have any black battery wires with the small connectors. I ended up fabricating a 24 inch black ground wire with small connectors as the stock 12 inch ground wire was too short for my install.
8) Still not sure if I want to fabricate an aux battery tie down.

Photos:

Tools

The stock toolkit does not have a 12 mm wrench for the isolator nuts so I piggy backed one onto the toolkit. My thinking is that I might be able to use the wrench to bypass the isolator in the field.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to these battery threads to make this install possible.

Update: Here is the photo after the addition of a 24 inch positive battery cable so that there are now separate runs from the second battery positive terminal to the high current positive terminal of the winch relay and to the aux side of the True Smart Isolator. With help here from this forum, I also have now moved the "blue tape" accessory ground directly to the aux battery so there are now separate runs of the ground wire from the winch relay to the aux battery and the "blue tape" common ground wire from the Honda to the aux battery. I think this will help protect the isolator when the winch tries to draw 300+ amps with the motor running, as most of the current will drawn from the aux battery, not across the closed isolator. The True Isolator is rated to 170 amps peak and 140 amps continuous.

Final2

Update: Here is my best shot at a diagram:

Screen Shot 2020 12 15 at 23352 PM

Last edited:
J

John79042

Nov 26, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is my battery tie-down solution. I used 2 pieces of aluminum on each side. One under the battery box and one inside the box to hold the strap in. I added a 1/2 inch thick gel boat battery pad inside to tighten the fit. I also added a thin strip of rubber over the bolt heads just in case the gel pad gets compressed too much.

Quick question... Is that large black cable on the isolator a ground cable?

IMG 1990
IMG 1991
IMG 1992

Reactions: JAL and Smitty335
J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Smitty... Nice solution! Thanks for posting.

The black cable on the aux side of the isolator goes to the positive high current side of the winch solenoid. I just moved the existing black OEM positive high current cable from the starter solenoid to the aux side of the isolator.

In a perfect world I suspect that I should have fabricated a longer red cable and ran it directly from the positive side of the aux battery to the winch solenoid. What do you think?

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The stock toolkit does not have a 12 mm wrench for the isolator nuts so I piggy backed one onto the toolkit. My thinking is that I might be able to use the wrench to bypass the isolator in the field.

Here's what I use to connect my two batteries if need for more amp hours or a jump start:
Battery Connects

Is your positap into key-on power for running the winch with the motor off?

Reactions: JAL
J

John79042

Nov 26, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ah. I see it now. Had to look at the larger picture to see where things are going. Looking good. I am in the process of adding the duel battery and accessory switches now. USPS is killing me! I have been waiting on my switch panel for over a week since it was supposed to be delivered. Have everything else wired in, just need the panel.

Reactions: JAL
J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's what I use to connect my two batteries if need for more amp hours or a jump start:
View attachment 240489

Is your positap into key-on power for running the winch with the motor off?
Good idea. Thanks for posting the photo. I am not the only person to use this UTV and your solution is more "self evident."

I do not plan on running the winch with the motor off. It was easier to put in the posi-tap before I added the battery. I am going to use the the aux power tap now to trigger the "ignition triggered ground" used by the True Smart Isolator kit dual voltmeters. When the unit keys up, the aux power is used to trigger a relay. The relay closes and grounds the dual voltmeter so that the voltmeter only runs when keyed up.

Reactions: FNhunter2020
J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here are photos of the relay and voltmeter in the panel. I drilled out the relay post and used the plastic push pin to hold the relay post.

IgnitionOnGroundRelay

VoltmeterInPanel

The aluminum in the Warning Sign makes a decent panel mount! Do put the wires through the plastic retaining ring and then through the hole in the panel and then connect the voltmeter. Watch the orientation of the push connectors for maximal clearance between the connectors. Oh. And have fun!