P1000 2021 1000-5SE Clanking noises

C

Cjrhondasxs1000

Jul 16, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys new to the forum and got a 2021 pioneer 1000-5 SE and yes I will post photos when I get home. I been searching through an couldn’t find a similar issue so I figured I would make a post. I just rolled 500 miles on the sxs and I’ve been noticing a clunking/tapping kind of noise. It seems to be happening after it’s warmed up and seems to progress to a peak during the duration of a ride. While cruising easily I don’t notice it but when I get onto it, especially at a lower rpm, it’s right there. It’s hard to gauge the exact location of it while riding but it doesn’t seem like a motor sound due to the inconsistencies of when I here it.

I did read a post about adjusting the rear diff lock cables so I was going to look at that when I return home this weekend but in the mean time I was wondering what all of you think seeing as you have been in the game for awhile. I am well aware it could just be a normal noise but I would rather be safe than stranded.
Thanks

Reactions: TxDoc

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys new to the forum and got a 2021 pioneer 1000-5 SE and yes I will post photos when I get home. I been searching through an couldn’t find a similar issue so I figured I would make a post. I just rolled 500 miles on the sxs and I’ve been noticing a clunking/tapping kind of noise. It seems to be happening after it’s warmed up and seems to progress to a peak during the duration of a ride. While cruising easily I don’t notice it but when I get onto it, especially at a lower rpm, it’s right there. It’s hard to gauge the exact location of it while riding but it doesn’t seem like a motor sound due to the inconsistencies of when I here it.

I did read a post about adjusting the rear diff lock cables so I was going to look at that when I return home this weekend but in the mean time I was wondering what all of you think seeing as you have been in the game for awhile. I am well aware it could just be a normal noise but I would rather be safe than stranded.
Thanks
There are a few common noises these machines make as part of their design. One of them is free play in the front drive shaft when driving in Turf or 2WD. The easiest test to diagnose this is to drive it in 4WD, accelerating from a low engine RPM. If the noise goes away while in 4WD, it's completely normal and nothing to worry about. Keep us posted and welcome to the forum!
Edit... I reread your symptom and the noise I'm referring to is more of a metallic "rattle" at low RPM. A "clunking/tapping" noise does sound more like a rear diff cable adjustment.