H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
We had a 2021 Talon lose a bearing cap in less than 500 miles. Another friend had the front U-joint lose a bearing cap. If the bearing cap doesn't have a slight press fit, it will turn and push out the retainer C-clip allowing the bearing cap to fall out. I caught one at low speed before it damaged the yoke. I put it back in by hand and had it spot welded. My dealer allowed me to get my replacement drive shaft spot welded before installation. In my opinion the U-joint drive shaft won't last nearly as long as your heavy-duty CV drive shaft. I drove 3 miles at low speed to get back to camp with one.

Shaft4

U joint5

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
We had a 2021 Talon lose a bearing cap in less than 500 miles. Another friend had the front U-joint lose a bearing cap. If the bearing cap doesn't have a slight press fit, it will turn and push out the retainer C-clip allowing the bearing cap to fall out. I caught one at low speed before it damaged the yoke. I put it back in by hand and had it spot welded. My dealer allowed me to get my replacement drive shaft spot welded before installation. In my opinion the U-joint drive shaft won't last nearly as long as your heavy-duty CV drive shaft. I drove 3 miles at low speed to get back to camp with one.

View attachment 370484
View attachment 370483
This is exactly the reason I posted about the SATV replacement, I could replace the U-joints in my current one but if there's a better option I'm going to give it a try

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm at 3,600 miles, and most of my riding is in WV/TN on trails with mud, sand water, all the nasty. I have been hearing some drive line rattle lately. I go to Madison IN about every week for work, and I'm heading there today. I haven't tried to buy something from SATV at their place, but I may swing by today and try to buy one.