2020 Tallon X4 shifting hard and stalls

E

Evradley76

Feb 4, 2024
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Been having this issue. Tried to reconnect all grounds under drivers side passenger seat and it seemed to help but Troy le is back again. Tries multiple times to do a relearn and it won’t take. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Add pic for verification.

IMG 5506

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Also, like @906UP asked.
But do a “LOAD” test with a load checker on the battery.
Tell us what accessories do u have on the primary battery?
Do u have a second battery?

Reactions: Blownzuki
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
thanks for a pic - looks like the ones they stuff in picture frames at war-mart so kudos for the sunshine shot

year and miles and what other history on this problem - when did it start, what miles, how many miles have you been running it like this - any other history such as clutches replaced, are you warmed up when doing the relearn, etc..

thanks
Been having this issue. Tried to reconnect all grounds under drivers side passenger seat and it seemed to help but Troy le is back again. Tries multiple times to do a relearn and it won’t take. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Add pic for verification.

View attachment 439283

E

Evradley76

Feb 4, 2024
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
thanks for a pic - looks like the ones they stuff in picture frames at war-mart so kudos for the sunshine shot

year and miles and what other history on this problem - when did it start, what miles, how many miles have you been running it like this - any other history such as clutches replaced, are you warmed up when doing the relearn, etc..

thanks

2020 X4 Live Valve 4800 Miles
Clutches have never been replaced
Motor is warmed up when doing relearn. The MTAT stays on
I have two batteries this issue started on my ride yesterday morning

I did notice that the grounds under the driver side passenger seat are very rusty but no corrosion. I will be cleaning that up for sure.

Any help with ideas on things to try would be helpful and appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
did notice that the grounds under the driver side passenger seat are very rusty but no corrosion. I will be cleaning that up for sure.
Do that, test and come back with report.
Baby steps

advertisement
E

Evradley76

Feb 4, 2024
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
When you apply throttle in gear, does the unit ease the clutch up or jerk

Help sir. Since my last post I have replaced the battery and cleaned all of the grounds. My machine runs fine for the first part of the ride but the. It starts showing the issues. O have tried the re learn a few times and it won’t take. Do you have any advise? Thank you in advance.

E

Evradley76

Feb 4, 2024
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Any answer for my previous question?

lol I meant to say hello sir not help but I guess help works as well. I have responded to your last post the machine runs fine until it doesn’t. It shifts fine most of the time but it seems like the longer I ride the worse it gets.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
lol I meant to say hello sir not help but I guess help works as well. I have responded to your last post the machine runs fine until it doesn’t. It shifts fine most of the time but it seems like the longer I ride the worse it gets.

I think hes asking, when it starts to act up does it do what he asked in post #9?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Should take a relearn after that. Isn't a horrible job to do. Few hours tops.

Reactions: 906UP and Blownzuki
E

Evradley76

Feb 4, 2024
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Sounds like maybe a bad shift motor or Linear Solenoid

The motor wouldn't stop it from taking a relearn, but the Solenoid would

So I have an update on my issue. Due to lack of time and knowledge. I decided to take the Tallon to a dealer and have them look at it. As a refresher I will remind you what I did before I took it in.

1. New battery
2. Cleaned and re-terminate all grounds

Tried relearn and it wouldn’t take.

They called me today and said it was due to being low on oil. “I checked the oil often and it has never been low” .

Is it possible that when they put the computer on it and cleared the error codes. This allowed the relearn to take and remove the mt/at lights?

Once again I appreciate all of your input. I wanted to put this on tho forum Incase anyone else has issues like this.

Reactions: CID
Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So I have an update on my issue. Due to lack of time and knowledge. I decided to take the Tallon to a dealer and have them look at it. As a refresher I will remind you what I did before I took it in.

1. New battery
2. Cleaned and re-terminate all grounds

Tried relearn and it wouldn’t take.

They called me today and said it was due to being low on oil. “I checked the oil often and it has never been low” .

Is it possible that when they put the computer on it and cleared the error codes. This allowed the relearn to take and remove the mt/at lights?

Once again I appreciate all of your input. I wanted to put this on tho forum Incase anyone else has issues like this.

The only way to get a mt/at off is a relearn, unless they swapped the pcm to another unit and sis the relearn through that unit then swapped it back.

Even new PCMs need a relearn when installed, or if you reset the PCM as well.

E

Evradley76

Feb 4, 2024
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
The only way to get a mt/at off is a relearn, unless they swapped the pcm to another unit and sis the relearn through that unit then swapped it back.

Even new PCMs need a relearn when installed, or if you reset the PCM as well.

Well, I learned that US-127 Powersports isn’t the best place to take your machine to be fixed. As I stated in the past post the said that it was low on oil and that why it was shifting bad and stalling. “I kind of wanted to call bulls*** because I checked the oil during all of my trouble shooting that I could think might be the issue”. With that being said I had to go with what they told me and take it for a test run. As always it ran fine until about halfway through the second day and it was right back to the same issues. I have some spare time coming up so I think I’m going to try to dig into it myself. Is it a big job the change the clutches if I replace the cylonoide and that’s not the problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I learned that US-127 Powersports isn’t the best place to take your machine to be fixed. As I stated in the past post the said that it was low on oil and that why it was shifting bad and stalling. “I kind of wanted to call bulls*** because I checked the oil during all of my trouble shooting that I could think might be the issue”. With that being said I had to go with what they told me and take it for a test run. As always it ran fine until about halfway through the second day and it was right back to the same issues. I have some spare time coming up so I think I’m going to try to dig into it myself. Is it a big job the change the clutches if I replace the cylonoide and that’s not the problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

Solenoid isn't a horrible job, buy the new gasket for the case, and have some fresh RTV/Silicon to seal the wiring pass thru.
Clutch is a little more involved, but is pretty easy if you take your time.

advertisement