P1000 (2) questions good power RPM range & stop/go work

ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greetings,

I never realized how accustomed I had become to living with Diesel motors!

My P1k is being put to serious work hauling supplies around and routinely climbing up some very steep grades. I'm wondering what would be an ideal RPM range to be traveling in. I'm not in a rush, just want to be efficient. Currently I'm cruising along at about 4k RPM in low first gear but can push to second gear and be closer to 3k. Or should I be thinking more about being up in the 5k-6k range?
On similar grades my diesel truck goes up nice and smooth in the 2k range as I found that to be sweet range for the motor and turbo.

Second question is about stop/go
My old work rig was a Kubota RTV 1100 with a diesel motor. Much like the my new P1k it was a work horse. Routinely used to pull, haul stuff around. My SOP has always been that the engine simply remains running.
If I'm going from location A to location B hauling sacks of sand, when I stop to load/unload I never shut down the motor. This was never an issue with a diesel motor- but makes me wonder....
When working with the P1k would it be better to simply let her run during the loads/unloads or would there be any benefit to shutting down?

-Appreciate any and all feedback,
thank you!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When working and hauling I run in low. Honda has designed it well and it will keep the right rpms. When keeping a constant speed I like to be around 3 to 4000 it runs pretty well there.

I am with you on letting it run. I don't think there is any benefit to turning it off and on for each load. I would say you are better off letting it run so it will keep cool.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greetings,

I never realized how accustomed I had become to living with Diesel motors!

My P1k is being put to serious work hauling supplies around and routinely climbing up some very steep grades. I'm wondering what would be an ideal RPM range to be traveling in. I'm not in a rush, just want to be efficient. Currently I'm cruising along at about 4k RPM in low first gear but can push to second gear and be closer to 3k. Or should I be thinking more about being up in the 5k-6k range?
On similar grades my diesel truck goes up nice and smooth in the 2k range as I found that to be sweet range for the motor and turbo.

Second question is about stop/go
My old work rig was a Kubota RTV 1100 with a diesel motor. Much like the my new P1k it was a work horse. Routinely used to pull, haul stuff around. My SOP has always been that the engine simply remains running.
If I'm going from location A to location B hauling sacks of sand, when I stop to load/unload I never shut down the motor. This was never an issue with a diesel motor- but makes me wonder....
When working with the P1k would it be better to simply let her run during the loads/unloads or would there be any benefit to shutting down?

-Appreciate any and all feedback,
thank you!
I would agree shutting it off the motor is just going to bake cuz the water is not circulating and you save your starter by letting it run.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I know this is a completely different engine and I havn't heard of any issues with the 1000 but here's another perspective...

I would normally agree with letting it idle had I not had to pay $800 for a new camshaft at 675 miles in my 700-2. Some have argued that the cam wore out due to lack of lubrication during idle times, some say alot of starting and stopping. Others say it was a batch of bad cams. So, just another angle for you to consider.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'd bet it was the cams. Honda had some foreman fourwheelers with the same problem. Bad cam.

We would all be in a world of trouble if it was bad to let an engine idle.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'd bet it was the cams. Honda had some foreman fourwheelers with the same problem. Bad cam.

We would all be in a world of trouble if it was bad to let an engine idle.

The worst part is that I think about it every time I use the machine now. I hope to trade out of it some day just for peace of mind. We'll see how the crops go this year.

Reactions: BWAF