P1000 Working with a Pioneer 1000-5

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am changing my mind about the P1000 and about which model. I am thinking strongly about getting the P1000-5 model so that we can take my brother and/or additional people that we know don't have anything to ride.

Part of the reason that I am reconsidering the P1000 is the more my wife and I think about having something with a dumping bed on it, the more things we think about that it could really be used for instead of other things that we have cluttering our garage or thing that we haven't done because it was too much trouble that we could do with this machine.

But I have concerns about the rear ROPS. Looking at the pictures, it looks like it would really get in the way if you were trying to shovel dirt/mulch in or loading it with landscaping trimmings/logs/tree limbs.

Anyone use theirs for working out of?

How do you use it?

Does the cage get in the way?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ArkHog10

ArkHog10

Nov 19, 2015
I am changing my mind about the P1000 and about which model. I am thinking strongly about getting the P1000-5 model so that we can take my brother and/or additional people that we know don't have anything to ride.

Part of the reason that I am reconsidering the P1000 is the more my wife and I think about having something with a dumping bed on it, the more things we think about that it could really be used for instead of other things that we have cluttering our garage or thing that we haven't done because it was too much trouble that we could do with this machine.

But I have concerns about the rear ROPS. Looking at the pictures, it looks like it would really get in the way if you were trying to shovel dirt/mulch in or loading it with landscaping trimmings/logs/tree limbs.

How do you use it?

I also needed the 5 seater but didn't like how big the real roll cage is. I took the back part off.

Reactions: sharp
jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R

How do you use it?

The cage doesn't get in the way for normal use. It actually can help depending on what you use the machine for. I don't have the 1000 with the self leveling rear shocks but I can squat the 700-4 down in the rear with heavy loads. The cage is great on these things and can be used very nicely for strapping loads in. Please be aware that the bed is dump assist.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can take the rear cage portion off within 5 minutes and 6 bolts. Thats what I've done to mine! But then I've always got the ability to throw it back on if I have some people that wanna ride with me. Nowadays, 4-5 seaters hold their value better than 2-3, so I also figured the 5 seat would be easier to sell down the road.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

How do you use it?

It helps us far more then is in the way! If you are still considering a pioneer do the 5 so you won't think about it later. The side doors even in box form assist with loading as well! But you may want to consider a bed liner. By the way that damn thing carried that load through the woods past where all out friends left dirtbikes and the a quad. Right over downed trees and everything. Notice the load is to the gate edge and we even packed it totally on the inside including on the front floor board. It was very close to a 1/2 a cord with three "adults " in front. We've towed a trailer with 1 1/2 cord as well. So if you're thinking about work...:)

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It helps us far more then is in the way! If you are still considering a pioneer do the 5 so you won't think about it later. The side doors even in box form assist with loading as well! But you may want to consider a bed liner. By the way that damn thing carried that load through the woods past where all out friends left dirtbikes and the a quad. Right over downed trees and everything. Notice the load is to the gate edge and we even packed it totally on the inside including on the front floor board. It was very close to a 1/2 a cord with three "adults " in front. We've towed a trailer with 1 1/2 cord as well. So if you're thinking about work...:)View attachment 17533

Geez! That is a load for sure.

I won't be using it for anything like that.

Mine will be used just loading up tools and tree limbs and mulch or dirt to move around the property. We have a lot of landscaping that my wife cuts back all the time and currently she uses a wheelbarrow to carry it to our dump pile. If we had this, she could just load it up and then take it over to the dump pile. She and I won't get as much exercise but it will be MUCH faster. We would also use it when I didn't have time to mow and we get huge piles of grass in the side yard. Now we use the mower with a dump cart or the wheelbarrow. We also have some dirt moving projects to combat erosion. It would be awesome to have something that we could load up with some dirt and then drive down to low spots and just dump it. We have been putting this off because it really is a pain to do with a wheelbarrow and even the mower and dump cart. Plus, if we get this we could get rid of the wheelbarrow and the dump cart and free up some space in the garage.

My concern was that those roll cage bars might get in the way of a shovel full of dirt or a rake/pitchfork full of grass/landscape material.

Sounds like even if it does, it is a fast removal.

Thanks for the tip about the bed cover, I will definitely put that on my buy list.

I talked to my brother about it yesterday and he said that he absolutely would love to go with us and it was going to be a while before he bought himself an ATV. He wants to finish his 1970 Chevelle makeover.

Man, it really looks like I am finally getting to a decision. :eek:

Reactions: DRAGFOOT
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Geez! That is a load for sure.

I won't be using it for anything like that.

Mine will be used just loading up tools and tree limbs and mulch or dirt to move around the property. We have a lot of landscaping that my wife cuts back all the time and currently she uses a wheelbarrow to carry it to our dump pile. If we had this, she could just load it up and then take it over to the dump pile. She and I won't get as much exercise but it will be MUCH faster. We would also use it when I didn't have time to mow and we get huge piles of grass in the side yard. Now we use the mower with a dump cart or the wheelbarrow. We also have some dirt moving projects to combat erosion. It would be awesome to have something that we could load up with some dirt and then drive down to low spots and just dump it. We have been putting this off because it really is a pain to do with a wheelbarrow and even the mower and dump cart. Plus, if we get this we could get rid of the wheelbarrow and the dump cart and free up some space in the garage.

My concern was that those roll cage bars might get in the way of a shovel full of dirt or a rake/pitchfork full of grass/landscape material.

Sounds like even if it does, it is a fast removal.

Thanks for the tip about the bed cover, I will definitely put that on my buy list.

I talked to my brother about it yesterday and he said that he absolutely would love to go with us and it was going to be a while before he bought himself an ATV. He wants to finish his 1970 Chevelle makeover.

Man, it really looks like I am finally getting to a decision. :eek:
I really think you'd be happy with pk1. We sure are. Since our last incident I have eased up just a bit we never want to be without it and are treating it as a 10yr machine right now. If you do go with something else at least the Yamaha would be long lasting please don't do anything else stay with a jap machine. I know maybe at the end before decision time maybe you're ocd will kick in and will push you. And I mean that with love you even research stuff more then me. Truthfully if it says Honda that's one less decision I need to make because I've already done that in the future and it's proven good so far. Slight "hiccup" for sure but still happy and I'd like to see you happy too

Last edited: