P1000 Will a P1000-5work for my use?

L

Leadfoot

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey Guys, new to the forum and have a question before I plunk down a wad of cash for a new P1000-5. I own a wholesale Nursery in Oregon where I frequently give tours to customers around the farm. We have about 300 acres in production so the tours take a while. I am currently using my pickup for these tours but I hate coming home with huge mud turds on the truck and dropping them in the driveway. We have owned Kawasaki mules and they were total junk. I used an old JD Gator with a redneck seat in the back for a while but burned the belt and clutch up. Would a P1000-5 work for this? It will frequently be in mud but not deep water over a foot deep. Will often have a full 5 adults in it and lots of stop and go, creeping along at 3-5 mph. Don’t want a maintenance nightmare like I had with the Kawasakis. Thoughts and thanks. As an aside we have several Honda quads that have been bulletproof.

D

DDDonkey

The Honda would work but might be a little tight with 5 adults. If I did not get the Honda I would have bought the canam defender max. You might look at those too in your search.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure you add a good heat shield and a bilge fan. Heat from the engine will get too hot to be comfortable in the summer and you will hate it and so will the customers.

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
+1 on @JTW s Kubota suggestion and the cautions others have mentioned about space and heat. I love the Honda, but if I was doing slow tours for 5 adults with minimal maintenance....sounds like a job for the Kubota.

M

mlhannah1

Apr 5, 2017
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Guys, new to the forum and have a question before I plunk down a wad of cash for a new P1000-5. I own a wholesale Nursery in Oregon where I frequently give tours to customers around the farm. We have about 300 acres in production so the tours take a while. I am currently using my pickup for these tours but I hate coming home with huge mud turds on the truck and dropping them in the driveway. We have owned Kawasaki mules and they were total junk. I used an old JD Gator with a redneck seat in the back for a while but burned the belt and clutch up. Would a P1000-5 work for this? It will frequently be in mud but not deep water over a foot deep. Will often have a full 5 adults in it and lots of stop and go, creeping along at 3-5 mph. Don’t want a maintenance nightmare like I had with the Kawasakis. Thoughts and thanks. As an aside we have several Honda quads that have been bulletproof.
You may want to look at the Yamaha 6 passenger!

Flgator_80

Flgator_80

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2017
Lexington, Tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea jack up a Yamaha golf cart with seat in the back. The new gas powered are almost as quiet as the electric. Like 4 decibals louder.

L

Leadfoot

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Whatever I get needs to have 4x4 and pretty decent ground clearance. These tours are on farm roads that get mudded out in the winter time from constant rain and tractors driving back and forth. In the summertime irrigation is going and making things wet and muddy. Our old 6 wheel gator used to get hung up on ruts and get stuck occasionally. I will probably drag it off to deer and elk camp once in a while as well.

Reactions: sharp
advertisement
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would think you would want something bigger like a 6 seat Yamaha Viking or Can Am defender or even a Ranger. I think it would make it easier to get in and out of and still have some of a bed to use. They are long so look at that for deer camp. I can't speak about maintenance as the 1000-5 is my first sxs. I love it, but might not be the best for your intended use.

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd go Yamaha viking 6 seater. No question abou it for your use. Pioneer is more of a trail rig.

O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
Back seats in honda aren't friendly for larger adults, get a ranger crew or a new gator 590i. I drove a crew 590i and was impressed, very smooth compared to my honda, not nearly as capable but it could work for you. Most first time passengers in my honda are unimpressed with its jerky downshifting.

J

JTW

Put two boat coushions on the rear seats when you have someone back there and comfort will be increased 10 fold!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honda is pretty tight with 5 adults. If you're really putting along that slow (3-5) the entire time a Kubota is probably the best choice. Buy a Kubota diesel with 2 bench seats and you're all set. My second choice for what you describe would be a Viking 6 seat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
L

Leadfoot

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Here’s a question... what dealers do you have in your area?
I have a Kubota Dealer but I assume they are more money since they are diesel powered, but I should give them a look since Kubota builds decent equipment. I have a good Honda dealer who we have bought a lot of foreman quads from. We have a John Deere dealer who is OK to deal with but not great. Honda has always been so reliable for us, their quads just run forever and we put over 20,000 miles on them with almost zero issues. Reading this forum however I’m not convinced the p1000-5 would be as reliable. I’ve never replaced a clutch on a foreman or rancher and we put 4 guys on them while pulling an irrigation trailer loaded with pipe. Kinda bummed to read Honda didn’t build as quality of rig in their side by side.

Reactions: JTW
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Given the application, I think the Kubota would be an excellent choice and chances are you be using long after many others are dead/gone...

L

Leadfoot

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So I went and looked at a Pioneer 1000-5 and then a Kubota. At 6’2” I could barely squeeze into a back seat on the Honda. I think if I tried to take a customer on a tour in the back seat they would cancel their order just for making them miserable. The Kubota is probably the route I will go, it looks like a very well built machine with a tractor style hydrostatic transmission and small Diesel engine. It only seats 4 but a much more comfortable ride. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I went and looked at a Pioneer 1000-5 and then a Kubota. At 6’2” I could barely squeeze into a back seat on the Honda. I think if I tried to take a customer on a tour in the back seat they would cancel their order just for making them miserable. The Kubota is probably the route I will go, it looks like a very well built machine with a tractor style hydrostatic transmission and small Diesel engine. It only seats 4 but a much more comfortable ride. Thanks for everyone’s input.
There is a right tool for every job.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: alloutdoors
advertisement