P1000 Why do I need relays?

C

Cohutta

Jun 25, 2016
NWGA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Mictuning rocker switches I'm using are rated at 20 amps. The most powerful light I can see using is a 72 watt LED, which is only 6 amps. Even doubling that is just 12 amps. That would be a single switch. The rest will have two 18 watt lights at 3 amps.

The 20 amp switch will handle 240 watts. That's more than all of the LED lights I plan to put on my P1K.

This is all coming off of an isolated battery and each circuit will be fused. Does the relay provide another layer of protection for the factory system? Or is the use of relays just a standard from the time of high wattage incandescent and halogen lights?

I have the Cooper Bussman wiring harness and now I'm wondering if I even need it.

CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Mictuning rocker switches I'm using are rated at 20 amps. The most powerful light I can see using is a 72 watt LED, which is only 6 amps. Even doubling that is just 12 amps. That would be a single switch. The rest will have two 18 watt lights at 3 amps.

The 20 amp switch will handle 240 watts. That's more than all of the LED lights I plan to put on my P1K.

This is all coming off of an isolated battery and each circuit will be fused. Does the relay provide another layer of protection for the factory system? Or is the use of relays just a standard from the time of high wattage incandescent and halogen lights?

I have the Cooper Bussman wiring harness and now I'm wondering if I even need it.
I think you will be fine, I am using the same set up as you as well, no problems so far.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Using relays will lessen the amount of larger gauge wire needed for the higher amp draw to and from the switch.

It will work the way you describe if you use accessories with less amp draw than the switch rating.

Reactions: sharp
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
The relays also take away any arcing on the switch when you turn it on and off. Shouldn't blow it out but could shorten its life. Its more noticeable on higher amp stuff. The low amp you're running you probably won't ever notice a difference.

Reactions: joeymt33 and sharp
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
The Bussman is for convenience and clean install.
May as well use the relays for your heaviest amperage users.