P1000 Why are stock tires different size front/rear?

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Someone checking out my machine and stock tires set up and asked me, "Why are the front and rear tires different sizes?" I didn't really know. I said more traction in the rear and easier to steer with smaller tires up front but he came back with, "It's 4 wheel drive right?" My next response was some engineer somewhere designed that for a reason I'm sure.

Anyone have better explanation? I know most upgrade to same size wheels/tires X4

Reactions: sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Someone checking out my machine and stock tires set up and asked me, "Why are the front and rear tires different sizes?" I didn't really know. I said more traction in the rear and easier to steer with smaller tires up front but he came back with, "It's 4 wheel drive right?" My next response was some engineer somewhere designed that for a reason I'm sure.

Anyone have better explanation? I know most upgrade to same size wheels/tires X4
Thats a good question! But I have busted the stock front tires three times, running same all the around now!

Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

I once asked a similar question and @ohanacreek made the most sense with “load rating”. Look at the load rating specs on a 9 vs 11 inch tire. Anything with a hitch... 4 wheeler, sxs, 3 wheeler. They’re all going to have more weight in the rear or on the rear tires at some point. Now you can make up with that with a heavier ply tire but then the manufactures are spending more on tires

Reactions: sharp and OnTheJob
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4

Smaller tire up front will give you better steering,and larger tire in rear will give more traction.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Smaller tire up front will give you better steering,and larger tire in rear will give more traction.
????? I am guessing, but I would say curb appeal and MGF. $ savings, most come with 4 plys, most replace with 8 plys. I replaced mine and actually went from a 11 inch tire in the rear to a 10 inch front and rear, 8 plys, never going back

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5

This seems the most likely. The narrower front tire gives you the feeling of understeer which makes most operators slow down when driving aggressively. The wider rear tire helps with traction. I personally am really happy with 28x10s on all 4 tires and a higher ply tire

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp and JTW
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
????? I am guessing, but I would say curb appeal and MGF. $ savings, most come with 4 plys, most replace with 8 plys. I replaced mine and actually went from a 11 inch tire in the rear to a 10 inch front and rear, 8 plys, never going back
Yes 4 ply is ridiculous and dumb... Honda makes them selves look bad by doing this... And Maxxis should have never made a 4 ply for them. Cause now a lot of people will think all Bighorns are crap...I could let it slide by on my 700 But come on......... The 1000???? Just stupid

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This seems the most likely. The narrower front tire gives you the feeling of understeer which makes most operators slow down when driving aggressively. The wider read tire helps with traction. I personally am really happy with 28x10s on all 4 tires and a higher ply tire
Have you checked your toe in/out, most come with toe out for more confidence. You'll probably find 1 inch plus if you haven't set yours. I'm running 1/8 inch toe in.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes 4 ply is ridiculous and dumb... Honda makes them selves look bad by doing this... And Maxxis should have never made a 4 ply for them. Cause now a lot of people will think all Bighorns are crap...I could let it slide by on my 700 But come on......... The 1000???? Just stupid
Maxxis makes good tires, just not the ones that come on all MGF.'s stock rigs.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you checked your toe in/out, most come with toe out for more confidence. You'll probably find 1 inch plus if you haven't set yours. I'm running 1/8 inch toe in.

Yes. I've set my own alignment, tire pressure and shock settings based on payload and trail conditions. Honda had to set the machine up for an everyday user without a clearly defined load or terrain.

advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes. I've set my own alignment, tire pressure and shock settings based on payload and trail conditions. Honda had to set the machine up for an everyday user without a clearly defined load or terrain.
YEP!