KyGal83

KyGal83

KGB, SNS, Duchess Sheldon, Ms. Daisy, Natasha
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
In a recent discussion with another SXS owner the subject of a 2nd battery was mentioned. I know less than nothing about the electronics of my P5. Several of you have already completed this mod or are considering it. As I am planning to possibly due a major overhaul to my buggy this winter which will include rewiring and adding more accessories.... Can some one explain the need for a second battery?

My current setup & use is this:

My radio is not tied into the system (JBL Extreme speaker and a click controller) only electrical items I have added are the power steering and winch. I currently use the system now to charge my phone, tablet, or use the portable inflator in the 12v port. I carry a jump box, which does work and is charged. ;)

Upgrade plans are:

Rock Lights
Whip Lights
Cube Lights
Lighted Side Mirrors
Auxbeam Switch panel

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
U will get 2 opinions on this - neither is wrong.

If you like to jam on the stereo with machine off - second battery and isolator is recommended. If you travel remote and need another battery to get u outta a jamb - the second battery is already there to jump to - it’s not automatic if your main dies.

I’ve had winches, stereos, etc accessories and never needed a second battery - I carry a jump box just in case.

New sxs’s with winches do not have a second battery. If you need.a 2nd battery for a winch to get you out a trouble - have a beer first and ponder how you got there.

Good luck with your decision.

Use search bar up top - this topic has been discussed to nauseum.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
U will get 2 opinions on this - neither is wrong.

If you like to jam on the stereo with machine off - second battery and isolator is recommended. If you travel remote and need another battery to get u outta a jamb - the second battery is already there to jump to - it’s not automatic if your main dies.

I’ve had winches, stereos, etc accessories and never needed a second battery - I carry a jump box just in case.

New sxs’s with winches do not have a second battery. If you need.a 2nd battery for a winch to get you out a trouble - have a beer first and ponder how you got there.

Good luck with your decision.

Use search bar up top - this topic has been discussed to nauseum.

Thanks so much for the response. I did a search before starting this new thread ( I know the rules. ;)) and got a lot of info on people doing the 2nd battery for a P5, but little on the reasoning behind it. I would like to understand the reasoning and functionality of it.

My radio is not tied into the system (JBL Extreme speaker and a click controller) only electrical items I have added are the power steering and winch. I carry a jump box as well. I have been thinking of how I currently use the system now, other than the above mentioned aftermarket add ons... I charge my phone, tablet, or use the portable inflator in the 12v port.

Upgrade plans:

Rock Lights
Whip Lights
Cube Lights
Lighted Side Mirrors
Possible a USB charging port
Auxbeam Switch panel

As I said.. I know less than nothing. Which is why I am looking to be educated on the 2nd battery so I know if I am over taxing the system.. now or after the new mods.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I did it because there's always a possibility that I might get drunk/pass out and forget to turn the lights or radio off or something and I didn't want to be stranded with a dead battery in the morning when I awake from my slumber.

Per usual, I was right.

JayPo

JayPo

Somewhat Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 15, 2020
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I haven't put a 2nd battery in any of my machines and don't plan to on my Talon either. I only run my headlights, tablet, phone, and sometimes the lightbar. I don't run anything electrical when the motor is not running. If I use my winch, I have the motor running if possible and I duty cycle it and try not to run it too much. I also carry a jump pack that I keep charged.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Pretty much the second battery is for how many accessories that you plan to add and use those accessories with the engine off on your P5. Look at it as your P5 is an RV: you have the chassis battery for starting and running the engine, then the coach battery for running all the lights and stuff in the RV. Kind of same concept- just more power storage for being able to use more accessories longer. Like DRZRon1 and Green Goat point out: if you want to crank-up the tunes and turn on all your new lights for hours with the engine shut off on your P5, you might want to consider a second battery. If you are going to mostly use your new accessories while you are driving down the trail, then you are probably fine with 1 battery.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
based on that info above - you wouldn't need a 2nd battery - unless you are pumping up tires and running the lites with engine off - its physics - batteries have only so many amp hours - all that led stuff is low wattage draw.

for example - I run a lite bar, rock lites, backup camera and the machine headlites at nite of course, charge a phone, and the alternator keeps the main battery fully charged at alll times.

I haven’t considered the passing out scenario - lol

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My radio is not tied into the system (JBL Extreme speaker and a click controller) only electrical items I have added are the power steering and winch. I carry a jump box as well. I have been thinking of how I currently use the system now, other than the above mentioned aftermarket add ons... I charge my phone, tablet, or use the portable inflator in the 12v port.

Upgrade plans:

Rock Lights
Whip Lights
Cube Lights
Lighted Side Mirrors
Possible a USB charging port
Auxbeam Switch panel
For the reasons you stated above I would have one and Ill tell you why.
The Honda’s like very clean voltage for shift motors and such or weird things can happen. Its well documented in threads here dating back to at least 2015. Yes you can run minimal things and be mindful to what you run when u run it but there is always that one time!

A scenond battery set up is inexpensive compared to the hart ache and expence to the repair of over taxing the system that was engineered to run on the one it came with.
Dealers that are putting a winch, radio, heater etc. on the main battery really dont care, they just want the rig sold and after that who Gives AF? The way they think. So cant go by what they do.

If anything else, with a 2nd battery its a pice of mind and takes alot of the guess work out if you have problems. Sucks when we have to tell someone to…”remove one by one each accessory from your main battery and see if your rigs issue will go away?” Work smarter not harder, Buy once cry once!😉

Just for $hits and giggles, I had one in my P5, P1 and my Talon

Hoosier1960

Hoosier1960

Lifetime Member
Jul 26, 2023
Indiana
Ownership

1. 500
In a recent discussion with another SXS owner the subject of a 2nd battery was mentioned. I know less than nothing about the electronics of my P5. Several of you have already completed this mod or are considering it. As I am planning to possibly due a major overhaul to my buggy this winter which will include rewiring and adding more accessories.... Can some one explain the need for a second battery?

My radio is not tied into the system (JBL Extreme speaker and a click controller) only electrical items I have added are the power steering and winch. I currently use the system now to charge my phone, tablet, or use the portable inflator in the 12v port. I carry a jump box, which does work and is charged. ;)

Upgrade plans are:

Rock Lights
Whip Lights
Cube Lights
Lighted Side Mirrors
Auxbeam Switch panel
I decided to put a second battery in so I wouldn’t have to worry as much about the starting battery. The second battery is a lithium deep cycle battery. I put in an isolator, a relay and a fuse block along with a terminal block for both positive and negative terminals. I also installed a switch that allows me to run anything attached to the second battery without having the key on. I will be installing a battery maintainer that will keep batteries charged when not in use. The winch, LED light bar, LED cubes for the rear along with my whip lights will all run off the second battery. I also am planning on a dual usb port and dual voltage gauge.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Personally I don’t think you need a second battery for your P5. The DCT of the P1K5 is far more sensitive to voltage issues than the sibling 50” P5 goats are.

advertisement
KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I did it because there's always a possibility that I might get drunk/pass out and forget to turn the lights or radio off or something and I didn't want to be stranded with a dead battery in the morning when I awake from my slumber.
That might need to be a consideration… 🤔

Per usual, I was right.

🤣🤣🤣…. Oh wait, you meant that as a joke right?

IMG 1252

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I haven't put a 2nd battery in any of my machines and don't plan to on my Talon either. I only run my headlights, tablet, phone, and sometimes the lightbar. I don't run anything electrical when the motor is not running. If I use my winch, I have the motor running if possible and I duty cycle it and try not to run it too much. I also carry a jump pack that I keep charged.
I did notice that was not on your list of mods and was on Coeus. I carry a jump pack, actually you showed me how to use it on my Jeep last years MOM.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have a maintainer hookup for the main battery, and you’re already carrying a small jump pack, And not running heavy accessories like winches, plows, heater fan, etc, I’d say the need for an auxiliary battery is really low.

advertisement