P1000 which Skid Plate for 1000?

D

Darby

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-3
looking at putting on a 1/2" UHMW skid plate on my 1000... i've ordered the S&S A-Arm guards (liked the idea of being able to customize a name on them - and not sure UHMW has an advantage on the A-Arms).. which leaves me with the skid plates...

the 1/2" choices i see are the Factory UTV and the Trail Armor... anyone have any knowledge of any advantage to either? The Factory UTV seems to be a bit cheaper (and less shipping as they are West coast.. and so am I).. but i like the clean out holes on the Trail Armor.... anything i am missing in this thought process?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Your thoughts are spot on. I have had FUTV 1/2" on my prior SXS, and it's fit and finish was great. The FUTV skid is better suited to desert conditions, no holes for clean out but also nothing to catch and get hung up on in the southwest desert type riding. I have the Trail Armor on my P1K5D and am very happy with it and the clean out holes do make it easier to clean up after a muddy ride. So it depends on how much mud you expect to encounter and how often for needing the clean out holes or if price is a concern you can get the FUTV skid and cut out you own clean out holes with a 2" or 2.5" hole saw the material is easy to work with using power tools. IF you are going to run 28" or bigger tires the forward wings on the Trail armor skids will need to be trimmed back mine turne dup and extended 2" into the wheel well and my 28>4" tires would hit them, trimmed it back each side with a cut off tool and radiused the leading edges with a file looks factory on finish and took maybe 15 minutes.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just an observation but the S&S skid doesn't have much in the way of clean out holes but hasn't been a problem at all. And I do mud. Alot.