P1000 When to use low range

A

ayoung

Dec 19, 2015
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi,

Went for our first ride this evening and had a blast!

We have a couple questions:

1) Pronounced 'click' upon shifting...I expect this is normal, but may quiet down? Very noticeable in low range as it shifts so often. Shifts were not jerky, which was great.

2) When to use low? We were on a trail that the conditions would change frequently. Clear stretch where we could hit 25mph, and then technical section where we had to briefly crawl through some mud/rocky section. From this forum, I thought I should be in low-range, but my wife was not enjoying the increased revs and multiple shifts. High may have been more appropriate for the majority... but switching back and forth didn't seem feasible either.
Is it ok to be in high range, but briefly at low speed?

Thanks!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I like to use low when I'm in the same conditions you described. However, I use manual mode and control the rpms and shifts. I didn't do this at first but the more I drove it and got better at it, the more I use manual mode. Also, just like you described the sounds can get annoying. I grew up with manual transmission trucks, 3-wheelers, 4-wheelers, etc so it came natural to use manual mode.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I only use low for mud holes, steep climbs, or if I'm unsure about it. Because I don't like the high revs and louder shifting as well. As long as you on relatively flat ground you can can go slow in high, but hey that's my option. For each there own.

Reactions: CashMoney
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Me personally when I'm not going over 30 I keep it in low but I don't know what the call is supposed to be as far as that goes. If i'm in technical sections I'll generally put it in sport mode or manual shift so its not searching for gears all the time. High range is fine at low speed as long as youre not going so low of a speed the clutch is going to be engaging and disengaging all the time or super steep hills or heavy loads. I probably wouldn't use it in the mud either

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Hi,

1) Pronounced 'click' upon shifting...I expect this is normal, but may quiet down? Very noticeable in low range as it shifts so often. Shifts were not jerky, which was great.

2) When to use low? We were on a trail that the conditions would change frequently. Clear stretch where we could hit 25mph, and then technical section where we had to briefly crawl through some mud/rocky section. From this forum, I thought I should be in low-range, but my wife was not enjoying the increased revs and multiple shifts. High may have been more appropriate for the majority... but switching back and forth didn't seem feasible either.

Thanks!

Regarding your questions:
1) The click noise is normal when shifting gears, it does get much quieter as it is broken in. At least mine did. It is an electric shift drum actuator right below and behind your seat on the drivers side.
2) I prefer to use Low range for all riding where I will be under 30 mph, yes it will shift a bit more often but has the best torque when you come up on a slow / technical section you don't have to stop and shift just maintain your momentum as you are in the correct range already. I will use L for probably 80% of my riding in wooded trails.

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
I started using Low a lot yesterday because of all the rain we just got. I had it in 4wd and it pulled better in low. I didn't like the RPMs going so high so I put it in Manual and kept the RPMs a little lower. I've gotten to the point I ignore the noise. A radio helps (I don't have one at the moment).

dezs1775

dezs1775

Dec 26, 2015
Orange city Florida
Florida here. I use low in sugar sand and mud. It can go threw the sand in high with no problems, but I just keep it in low. WHEN I HAND MY can am low was way to load and annoying. Honda nice and quiet. So i put around in low.

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
Florida here. I use low in sugar sand and mud. It can go threw the sand in high with no problems, but I just keep it in low. WHEN I HAND MY can am low was way to load and annoying. Honda nice and quiet. So i put around in low.
The Commander I had when it was in low the fan would come on all the time and the heat coming from it sucked!

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hi,

Thanks!

1) Pronounced 'click' upon shifting...I expect this is normal,(YES) but may quiet down? (SOME) if it does multiple shifts you cold use sport mode in high. I use high most of the time but I use sport mode to keep it from shifting into to high of gear for hills. If the mud is thick and deep or your are hauling or pulling something heavy you need to use low. If you are going real slow below 5 mph it needs to be in low. I hope this helps I have over 500 miles on my pioneer 1000-5 non deluxe with out no problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dasmoeturhead
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

1. Yes, the clicking is normal. I agree with others - it either gets quieter or I just simply don't notice it as much as the miles add up.

2. I run mine in high 95% of the time. Unless it is something really technical that requires very low speed for an extended distance or deep thick mud for an extended distance, I just keep it in high and keep on rolling. If the machine starts to feel like it is struggling I immediately stop, switch to low, and then continue.

I've only got about 250 trouble free miles so far.....not as many as some of these other folks.

Waylan

advertisement
A

ayoung

Dec 19, 2015
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies! Had a great day with the machine. Headed towards the cabin to widen the trail, and hit lots of snow. So glad we choose the 1000. Snow was very soft so had to use 4 diff lock, and wow was the power steering nice as I was sawing the wheel back and forth trying to stay on the trail.

Great suggestion on using the paddles in low. Worked perfectly, and brought back fond memories of our foot shift foremans, except 10x smoother.

Also got the first scratches out of the way!

Cheers

tradhunter

tradhunter

Feb 24, 2016
wyo
Was reading the owners manual today and unless I'm mistaken, it says low is used up to 6 mph as needed. High for everything else. I have 1500 miles now and have had a Rzr, 2 Rangers, a Rhino and 2 Wildcats over the years and this is the smoothest, quietest I have had. I had the 1000-3 up to 15 mph in low and it was wrapped up way more then I will run mine. To each his own.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was wondering about this too. Is it like a truck where you just put it in "drive" except when you really need extra torque or is it more like a CVT drive where you need to be in low except when you are going fast?

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
when speeds average less than 30mph, I'm in low manual... no other way to go... great control over the machine in low.

D

Dasmoeturhead

In super steep loose dirt,mud,and tight trails where if you have to stop or move something out of the way I like to be in low. If I'm pulling, pushing,nor have the bed full of wood,dirt or whatever I use low. On the other hand I continue to test this machines capabilities almost daily. I personally love the engines power band. I used to be in 4wd almost all the time when I first got it, because I was new to the ATV/UTV

Reactions: tradhunter
D

Dasmoeturhead

I wrote a whole more, but I lost it all somehow. To pissed to do it again. Basically I use high range and turf mode now over the same conditions I use to think I needed low range and 4wd. The shift noise does get better.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree, I drive mine just like I have driven all my 4-wheel drives for the last 55 yrs. Rarely use low and drive this one in high range and turf mode 99% of the time.
Same here, on flat roads, trails, turf mode in high, less stress on gears. Can always use paddles to engage lower gear if necessary.

Reactions: walexa07
N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use high 95% of the time. If I'm pulling up a steep hill of course I go to low. If I have a steep down hill and I want engine braking I go to low. If I'm pulling a load of firewood up hill in the dirt or off road, I use low until I hit gravel or pavement, then I shift to high unless it's a really heavy load or a steep incline. After reading some here, I'm just not like them. I like my RPM's soft and easy. Unless I am working hard or driving for sport, I like my RPM's around 2000 to 2500. Don't get me wrong, the engine will run fast all day long, but I don't think it needs to. What I do know is that in time, you will get a great feel for what it is capable of. It will do either, low or high. Once broken in, don't worry about it, drive it like you feel you should and your Pioneer will make you happy.