P1000 What's the range (miles) on the 1000?

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know there are a ton of variables but for argument sake let's say easy/moderate jeeep trails with a fair amount of elevation changes but no real rocking or mudding. I want to do the Alpine Loop next summer and it's approx 70 miles of jeep trails and I am trying to determine if I will need add'l fuel.

Reactions: sharp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I know there are a ton of variables but for argument sake let's say easy/moderate jeeep trails with a fair amount of elevation changes but no real rocking or mudding. I want to do the Alpine Loop next summer and it's approx 70 miles of jeep trails and I am trying to determine if I will need add'l fuel.
That sounds like a 1 tank trip if you are just cruising along.
BUT... since you haven't done it before, I would still pack a 2-gallon extra.

My trip in WV was 68 miles and I still had 1 bar left.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That sounds like a 1 tank trip if you are just cruising along.
BUT... since you haven't done it before, I would still pack a 2-gallon extra.

My trip in WV was 68 miles and I still had 1 bar left.

That last bar flashing goes a long time. We put 24 one time on it but we were being cautious not sure it would have gone much further

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks good to know CP - I am guessing that running a FI motor out of gas is not advisable?
If you're riding hard I'd say over 60 but easy ride up to 100. A 70mile loop on Jeep trails should be just fine. Maybe like hondasxs mentioned bring a little extra but shouldn't need. If you feel it miss at all just shut it down right then and add fuel as long as you don't totally run it out it'll fire back pretty quickly I would believe. Don't plan on that many in reserve but if r's are kept steady at medium speed and you are easy on hills it'll do it

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's basically when the last bar starts to flash but it's a little inaccurate depending on slope of the machine

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok - also what whip length did you go with? I'm thinking the 4' mounted towards the top of the bar you used?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya I went 4ft. You've got to leave some down lower if in tight areas like the woods so it has further to flex but dunes no matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do the utah skyline loops all the time at elevations 8k to 10.5k exactly as you described and usually travel 125 mile round trip on 5 gallons. i have never hit the last bar yet. jeep trails and dirt roads 20-40 mph mostly . other threads have shown mpg listed . i average 23-27 mpg all the time. i also use Lucas fuel additive.

0521161257a 0723161912b IMG 20160924 153007560 HDR

advertisement
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thx DTAGG - awesome pics - how do you like that mid-panel? Prob pretty nice in the winter..

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I do the utah skyline loops all the time at elevations 8k to 10.5k exactly as you described and usually travel 125 mile round trip on 5 gallons. i have never hit the last bar yet. jeep trails and dirt roads 20-40 mph mostly . other threads have shown mpg listed . i average 23-27 mpg all the time. i also use Lucas fuel additive.

View attachment 24630 View attachment 24631 View attachment 24632
Dang that's good mileage I haven't been able to get that good

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fuel mileage is so dependent on riders habits and terrain. I'm packing a 3-gallons of spare fuel, just because I can and really don't want to run out. Plus, if I stumble across someone who is out of fuel, it could get them out of a bind as well.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Fuel mileage is so dependent on riders habits and terrain. I'm packing a 3-gallons of spare fuel, just because I can and really don't want to run out. Plus, if I stumble across someone who is out of fuel, it could get them out of a bind as well.
We've always carried a manual transfer pump in case of someone running out. With kids and dirt bikes (even with a reserve,dang kids:)) someone's always running out. To date we have been fortunate enough not to run out

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thx DTAGG - awesome pics - how do you like that mid-panel? Prob pretty nice in the winter..
i love the mid panel, it cuts down the dust. not as good with my windshield but when i use my half windshield it catches the wind and forces it on to the engine and pushes the heat out the bottom between front seat and bed. no heat issues when i use the mid panel and the 1/2 windshield. winter is best for windshield as the heat stays in bur does add more dust .

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My fuel gauge is inaccurate as hell. I'll be down to half tank and only used 2 gallons. Btw running it out of fuel is no biggie. FI nowadays is self priming. Worst case scenario is you turn key on/off couple times to run pump enough to get it to the injectors. Not like the old days when you ran your tractor out and had to crack all the injector lines to bleed off the air lol.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i love the mid panel, it cuts down the dust. not as good with my windshield but when i use my half windshield it catches the wind and forces it on to the engine and pushes the heat out the bottom between front seat and bed. no heat issues when i use the mid panel and the 1/2 windshield. winter is best for windshield as the heat stays in bur does add more dust .

good to know - i'll prob pick one up at some point. Does it go on/off pretty easy?

advertisement