P1000 Western impact plow problems with pioneer and how to stiffen front end

G

Griffin

Nov 1, 2016
hornell, new york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi, I just bought and installed a western v plow on my pioneer 1000 and I would like to find out what spacers u guys used on the front end to stiffen it up. Also whenever I am moving while pushing snow and try to lift or move the blade while moving the machine acts like it goes to neutral and the oil light comes on. As soon as I stop trying to move the blade it goes back to normal. I added a second battery but didn't fix the problem. Any ideals out there. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: CPope
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is the plow hooked up directly to second battery or primary?
You want it directly to second battery.
I believe @drfubar created a thread on how to add spacers to your shocks. I believe 2" NPS pipe was what he used.

Edit, Upload a few pics of your underhood/battery setup and we can help diagnose the problem.

Edit 2: P1000m3 - Shock Spacers for those of us who budget..lol

Reactions: drfubar
G

Griffin

Nov 1, 2016
hornell, new york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I do have it on the second battery. I am thinking of putti g a smaller wire paralleling the batteries to limit the draw. Wondering if anyone else had to do this. May be a problem with my plow

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A smaller wire will also limit the recovery time for the battery.
Is this a new plow?
Clean all the corrosion and grease all power connections.
Are you using an isolator at all?
When the 2nd battery has a voltage drop, the iso should disconnect from primary battery.
A friend of mine just put a snowdogg on his 700. His is shutting off on him if he runs the plow and tries to turn at the same time. I haven't heard back from him on whether he ran a 2nd battery yet, or installed a larger primary.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like you are somehow draining power from your main battery thus causing too much of a drain and not leaving enough juice to run the rest of the machine.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I do have it on the second battery. I am thinking of putti g a smaller wire paralleling the batteries to limit the draw. Wondering if anyone else had to do this. May be a problem with my plow
DO NOT install smaller wire- it could melt and cause fire! Make sure you are using properly sized wire for the load and length of wire! Installing an isolator as suggested may solve the problem, but a better option is to install an ACR (Automatic Charging Relay) Here's a link that describes how they work- Battery Isolators and Automatic Charging Relays We use these often in boats that have lots of electronics gear pulling more than the engine charging system can handle at low r.p.m. NOTE: Wire that is too small causes resistance, which causes heat, which causes resistance to increase, which causes more heat- basically an undersized/overloaded wire turns itself into a stove element, melts/burns off the insulation, and then things start to go bad real fast. MAKE SURE you have the proper fusing installed as well.

C

Country

Jan 7, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the same plow on mine and have the same issues. I do not have a second battery.

O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
I'd run a 10 or 15 amp circuit breaker on hot wire from factory battery to aux so it doesn't kill machine but does recharge after big load is over. I'd love to see the plow in action, I just got a v plow on my pickup and it's impressive to me. Hard to justify in illinois though as we rarely get snow.

advertisement
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Isolate the draw from the primary electrical system. Fully charge all batteries prior to use. Also consider adding additional storage capacity with additional batteries.

Reactions: Country
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Check all your ground connections - especially the one under the drivers seat.
I cleaned and greased all my grounds when I installed my second battery.

Reactions: JWB and Country
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I'd run a 10 or 15 amp circuit breaker on hot wire from factory battery to aux so it doesn't kill machine but does recharge after big load is over. I'd love to see the plow in action, I just got a v plow on my pickup and it's impressive to me. Hard to justify in illinois though as we rarely get snow.
If the momentary load exceeds the amp rating of the breaker, it will trip the breaker and stop charging the secondary battery. If the breaker doesn't trip, you still have the exact same problem. The only way to eliminate the problem is to verify that the plow does not have an electrical issue, and then install an ACR (easy)to manage current draw and charging of the second battery, or, reduce the power consumption (not easy) of the accessories. Adding bigger, or more battery capacity may hide the symptom for a little longer, but it will not solve the problem. It's very easy to install an ACR. Another advantage of the ACR, is that it will keep the primary (starting) battery fully charged. Here's why it's important to keep the primary battery charged: When your starting battery/batteries become partially discharged, all of the electrical devices that are designed to operate on 12v-16v, draw more than their rated amount of current (amperage). . As voltage drops, the amps required go up. . Higher amperages cause heat, burning of relays, early failure of starter motors, fuel pump, and winch motors etc., etc.. . The engines computer, ignition system, fuel pump, injectors, are all designed to run within an expected range of voltage- which is why, the engine stalls, or weird shifting, erroneous display info, etc, happens when winches or other high electrical loads are placed on the already struggling charging system, as they momentarily pull voltage below minimum operating threshold. It's important to know how much power all of your accessories are using if you want to keep your machines dependable.. and safe.. . Very important formula: Volts X Amps= Watts. Look up what the charging system output is for your machine, and do the math. . Note that the manufacturer will show Maximum Charging system output at say 3500-5000rpm, you can figure about 25-35% of that at idle. So let's say that the machine is rated at 25 amps of charging output at 13v. 25amps X 13volts = 325watts. Maximum. Now multiply that number by .25:.. 325w X .25 = *81w at idle.....:eek:! If you convert everything to watts, it's easier to see how much power you actually need. If the winch requires 30amps at 13 volts (390watts) and the battery voltage is actually only 11volts, it still requires 390 watts, so the Amp draw will then increase to 35.5 amps, but in reality, if it's stalling the engine, the voltage is probably dropping below 9 volts. (390w/9v = 43.3Amps)! and poof goes a 40amp fuse, or conversely, the electric motor in the winch will start to overheat, and it's power requirement will go even higher!
So other than the annoyance of stalling engines, erratic shifts etc., low voltage dramatically reduces the life of all the electrical components on the machine.
Sorry for going on and on, but this is important stuff to understand if you're adding accessories and want the machine to remain dependable and safe!

Last edited:
O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
Man, that last one was quite a novel! I just used a dump trailer to haul approx 200 tons of rock with 20 min trip cycle times . a 20amp circuit breaker worked wonderfully all weekend to charge battery between dumps. I just don't see why it's gotta get so complicated, only hook the plow to the aux battery. The breaker will open during use and close to charge,dead nuts simple and it works on every dump trailer I've seen (only three!)

Reactions: JWB
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Man, that last one was quite a novel! I just used a dump trailer to haul approx 200 tons of rock with 20 min trip cycle times . a 20amp circuit breaker worked wonderfully all weekend to charge battery between dumps. I just don't see why it's gotta get so complicated, only hook the plow to the aux battery. The breaker will open during use and close to charge,dead nuts simple and it works on every dump trailer I've seen (only three!)
Well, there's rigged to get by, and then there's correct. A breaker is not designed to last under continual over-loads- it just isn't the right tool for the job.... If for some crazy reason the breaker fails and causes a fire... what then? The insurance adjuster looks it over, sees the breaker being used as an isolator, or anything else it wasn't designed to be.... you may just have thrown away a pile of money, and hopefully it didn't burn down the garage and house too....An ACR is very inexpensive, very easy to install, it's just a little box, wires in, wires out, and is the correct, safe, and proper way to do the job. Trust me, I've done plenty of things like you suggest, but I would never make or suggest a modification like that to anyone I don't know personally, and know they won't burn up an $18,000 machine because of something I suggested. The novel was just trying to explain what causes plenty of electrical system component failures, and hopefully shed some light on why they may be occurring. Just doing it right the first time makes the machine a pleasure to use, and is always the best move in the long run. I've been a mechanic- automotive, heavy equipment, power sports, and marine industry for 37 years.... just trying to share a bit of what I've learned- usually the hard way..... 37 years... now I really feel old...:(

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Hi, I just bought and installed a western v plow on my pioneer 1000 and I would like to find out what spacers u guys used on the front end to stiffen it up. Also whenever I am moving while pushing snow and try to lift or move the blade while moving the machine acts like it goes to neutral and the oil light comes on. As soon as I stop trying to move the blade it goes back to normal. I added a second battery but didn't fix the problem. Any ideals out there. Thanks for your help.
I added second battery and works pretty good but if your doing a lot of up down in tight spots often it can run it down! it goes into neutral because under low voltage the solenoid doesnt activate to keep it in gear. Normal for honda! I also had sold front struts made to replace front shocks and it works great. But I hate taking them off and on I need to come up with something better! I was going to heavy up springs but dont want to heavy that it makes riding no good!! any ideas or what did you do? Thanks

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
anyone come up with a good shock spring fix for the 1000-5 that handles the impact v plow without being to much for riding when its not on?