P1000 Weak tailgate fixes

CopenHagen

CopenHagen

Aug 1, 2016
Southeastern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys I've been looking lately at a popular mod is to change brackets to make tailgate lay flat. I was designing my brackets today and realized just how flimsy the thing seems when any significant weight is put on it. So my plan is to skin the back of it with some diamond tread aluminum with a bent edge that rolls over edge then bolt my two cable bracket through it therefore the aluminum would be holding most the weight . I can see this plastic folding in half this winter when I'm hunting or traping and put one knee on it to climb up into bed. So am I over reacting or anybody tried stiffening it up ? Thanks

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think @Farmer made a replacement tailgate. Maybe he will give you some info about it.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Here ya go.... @CopenHagen P700 - Pioneer 700 upgraded tailgate I could be talked down a bit. Not much interest at that price and I wont build any more until I find a deal on materials. Mine is tough as a tank. I'll even through in some cables. The plastic might bubble up or warp a tiny bit but mine has been very minimal.

Edited since Tapatalk didn't include the link.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Oh, crap. Just saw this is in the 1000 threads. Sorry. I doubt they are same size but we could check into it.

BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
Here ya go.... @CopenHagen P700 - Pioneer 700 upgraded tailgate I could be talked down a bit. Not much interest at that price and I wont build any more until I find a deal on materials. Mine is tough as a tank. I'll even through in some cables. The plastic might bubble up or warp a tiny bit but mine has been very minimal.

Edited since Tapatalk didn't include the link.

Farmer,
Was just thinking about this issue being I bought a road feeder today designed to hang on a truck's tailgate & plan to mod for using on my Honda. Did read where you are trying to address the issue w/ the plastic buckling in the heat for the 700 tailgate you built. Have you built a basic frame that anyone can skin as they desire that will fit the 1K? Maybe just me but I would skin one in aluminum diamond plate both sides & go. If not to pricey powder coat black or Rhino coat. Like your concept / idea & like you need one to do the job. Interested in what you come up w/ the for the 1K.
Thanks.

CopenHagen

CopenHagen

Aug 1, 2016
Southeastern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm doing what others have recommended by drilling several small holes that can be plugged and filling tailgate with spray foam insulation I started that this weekend but purchased the mild expanding door and window foam needless to say three cans wasn't enough to fill it up so getting more this week . I'll post back with my results

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Farmer,
Was just thinking about this issue being I bought a road feeder today designed to hang on a truck's tailgate & plan to mod for using on my Honda. Did read where you are trying to address the issue w/ the plastic buckling in the heat for the 700 tailgate you built. Have you built a basic frame that anyone can skin as they desire that will fit the 1K? Maybe just me but I would skin one in aluminum diamond plate both sides & go. If not to pricey powder coat black or Rhino coat. Like your concept / idea & like you need one to do the job. Interested in what you come up w/ the for the 1K.
Thanks.

Unfortunately aluminum adds to the price of a product that's already not selling. I'm pretty much done making these for a while. The plastic warping was minimal at worst. Maybe 1/8 inch max in one spot between the frame and plastic. Honestly I'm not sure how much or if the one I have listed warps. It's been boxed and taped up ready to ship for a long time now. But this day and age it only takes one person to b**** and a hundred more jump on board.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm doing what others have recommended by drilling several small holes that can be plugged and filling tailgate with spray foam insulation I started that this weekend but purchased the mild expanding door and window foam needless to say three cans wasn't enough to fill it up so getting more this week . I'll post back with my results
That should have been enough maybe using the smaller can? At any rate you'll love the results.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Unfortunately aluminum adds to the price of a product that's already not selling. I'm pretty much done making these for a while. The plastic warping was minimal at worst. Maybe 1/8 inch max in one spot between the frame and plastic. Honestly I'm not sure how much or if the one I have listed warps. It's been boxed and taped up ready to ship for a long time now. But this day and age it only takes one person to b**** and a hundred more jump on board.
Farmer I feel for you and understand. I use to build fiberglass overhead consoles for trucks with lights pockets and a place for CB. Made a lot of them with no problems. A guy stripped out a screw and instead of using a fatter screw or talking to me he ran a long ass screw through his roof. That one feedback caused me to quit. It's hard to do things sometimes without flack

Reactions: Farmer
advertisement
jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Farmer I feel for you and understand. I use to build fiberglass overhead consoles for trucks with lights pockets and a place for CB. Made a lot of them with no problems. A guy stripped out a screw and instead of using a fatter screw or talking to me he ran a long ass screw through his roof. That one feedback caused me to quit. It's hard to do things sometimes without flack

Unfortunately there is no cure for stupid. It amazes me constantly how people these days are generally incapable of taking responsibility for their own actions. They would rather blame someone else. I do everything I can to make sure my kids don't grow up to be one of those people.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Unfortunately there is no cure for stupid. It amazes me constantly how people these days are generally incapable of taking responsibility for their own actions. They would rather blame someone else. I do everything I can to make sure my kids don't grow up to be one of those people.
Me too brother:)

Reactions: jasontjames
BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
As a small business owner understand! Word of mouth can make or break ya. As for making a gate in the future another issue I understand very well is material cost, man hours - it has a cost & w/ a profit. W/ that said "n o t h i n g" I buy for this machine is what I consider cheap so in the future if you do kick around another run w/ out the plastic let us know & thanks for sharing what you did put together.

Reactions: Farmer