P1000 Water through intake and having issues..

Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
Well had an (alcohol) accident this past weekend went a little deeper than expected.

Needless to say I had some pretty dirty water come through the intake and made it all the way to the air box.

When it happened the motor would still crank but bogged down when given gas due to the filter being water logged and packed with debris.

The main issue I came across is when this happened the transmission would go into gear and would just high rev when given gas. The oil pressure light came on and but no over heating or signs of motor running irregular. When hauled back to the truck we check the oil color which seemed clean with no dis color.

When I woke up the next morning to unload it off the trailer the pioneer cranked right up with the sound of some water still in the air system and bubbling away, almost thought it was the radiator. The oil light never came on and all gears worked as normal without slipping. The motor also did not bog like before. I did not drive very far maybe 20 feet being I needed to get the intake and all cleaned out before going any further.

So my question is: Did the transmission start acting up due to the water messing with sensors or could I have gotten water in the transmission which was causing slipping and not going into gear. I assumed it was due to sensors with the water in the air box and possibly a little bit of water getting into the motor.

I have not driven the sxs any more since due to waiting on new air filter and intake tore and air box being apart to get the water out.

thanks in advanced and looking for to you response.
20160918 110148
20160918 110208
VZMIMG 20160918 081414

PCB67SS

PCB67SS

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2015
Panama City Beach
WOW......I'd begin by changing the oil....If these things will take that and keep going they are darn near bullet proof. I can't see how it would be possible for the engine and DCT oil not to have water in them. Good luck on getting your ride dried out and cleaned up and to many more motoring miles.

Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
WOW......I'd begin by changing the oil....If these things will take that and keep going they are darn near bullet proof. I can't see how it would be possible for the engine and DCT oil not to have water in them. Good luck on getting your ride dried out and cleaned up and to many more motoring miles.
Yes I will be changing oil in motor and dct probably more than once to make sure any water is removed. It didn't seem like much made it in thougfh

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
You possibly experience the ECM protesting some readings. If takes into account 14 or so readings in determining if and when to shift gears as well as all other engine functions it controls.

Clean that intake system out thoroughly, triple check no oils ( dont forget subtransmission and differentials ) were contaminated. If it starts running odd or stops altogether may have sucked water into fuel tank.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
You possibly experience the ECM protesting some readings. If takes into account 14 or so readings in determining if and when to shift gears as well as all other engine functions it controls.

Clean that intake system out thoroughly, triple check no oils ( dont forget subtransmission and differentials ) were contaminated. If it starts running odd or stops altogether may have sucked water into fuel tank.
Thank you for the info. I will be changing all fluids out. Wasn't planning on the fuel though. Is changing the fuel an easy task or do I have to remove the fuel tank to do so.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Thank you for the info. I will be changing all fluids out. Wasn't planning on the fuel though. Is changing the fuel an easy task or do I have to remove the fuel tank to do so.

It's a PITA get a few root canals done to prep you for it. Maybe you won't have any water in there but it is possible.

Reactions: Chooglin
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
What is the best way to check or is there a way lol.

Well I would just see if it quits running. Other than removing the tank dumping it out and checking for water in fuel. If it runs fine don't worry.

Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
Well I would just see if it quits running. Other than removing the tank dumping it out and checking for water in fuel. If it runs fine don't worry.
Sounds good. Sorry just wasn't sure but I figured that was the case. I appreciate the info

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you haven't extended the breather on your fuel tank then it probably got water in there. You can pull the pump out and scoop out a sample to see if there is water contamination. If there is dirt in there then you'll probably need to replace the filter. It isn't that bad. And the filter assembly is only like $60. I just used a little transfer hand pump and sucked all the fuel out.

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Dude... Not good.
You need to get that oil out ASAP. There is no way it is water free. Not with that much fine mud in the air box.
Whats the ETA on the air filter?
Clean it up ASAP and get that oil out. You have alot of work to do my friend.
- Engine/DCT oil
- Sub trans oil
- Fuel change-out
- Front and rear diff check.
- Complete air track clean out.

And if by the grace of God you didn't intake much water, you best go to church Sunday and thank him.
Please keep us updated.

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
The water is bad enough but all that sand is like having a cylinder made out of sandpaper. I would spend a lot of time changing oil before i ever ran it again, and i mean A LOT of time

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm sorry to hear about this I just saw it. I agree with changing the oil because of the debris. Change it multiple times! And I mean multiple. Even if you get cheap oil to do it you need to flush it a lot judging by the pics. You'd think crap didn't past the filter but I promise it did. You got very very lucky my friend. Flush that crap out many times the first couple with machine off maybe over full. After a couple without starting it fill and start but don't let it run very long in between changes and keep in neutral. Then work up to very short drives if it does. I'd then go an easy long drive and change again and snorkel that b****. Consider yourself lucky at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plumber32 and adnoh
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did your dealer have to order the filter? If you live close to middle TN I can hook you up with one if dealer can't get one. I got one sitting on the shelf in shop (I'm a planner lol).

Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
I appreciate the info. I am planning on changing the all oils very soon. As far as air filer of had to order on off bikebandits.com and still waiting on it to get here.

Also I will be snorkeling mine as well. Didn't think I would need to but obviously some time alcohol gets the better of me. Here is the hole that caused this.
Uploadfromtaptalk1474627124179

Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
Did your dealer have to order the filter? If you live close to middle TN I can hook you up with one if dealer can't get one. I got one sitting on the shelf in shop (I'm a planner lol).
I had to actually order mine from a parts website bikebandit.com and they had it in Stock just waiting on it to get here. I actually like in NE Florida.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had to actually order mine from a parts website bikebandit.com and they had it in Stock just waiting on it to get here. I actually like in NE Florida.

Thats not bad but maybe a little far just for an air filter lol. Nasty looking hole. Snorkel it and never look back. I did mine long before we knew there was a danger of water intrusion on these. Peace of mind is priceless.

Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
Thats not bad but maybe a little far just for an air filter lol. Nasty looking hole. Snorkel it and never look back. I did mine long before we knew there was a danger of water intrusion on these. Peace of mind is priceless.
Yeah I was planning on it eventually, but obviously not soon enough. Lol

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are extremely lucky I can say that lol. Don't know if it was mentioned or not but I'd pull the plugs and spin motor few times as well. Only takes a few more minutes. Just in case some did make it in there.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV