P1000 ***WARNING***

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It was midnight and dark and rainy and of course I wasn't paying too much attention as I did my first service on a gravel driveway. 25 hours and 56 miles.

Subconsciously though, something wasnt right when I changed the fluid in the front diff and my brain was too foggy to nail it at the time.

Laying in bed just now it hit me like a ton of bricks! Got dressed and went back outside. I was right. Hardly ANY fluid came out of the front axle??? I'm thinking that can't be right. I know 11 ounces ain't much, but this was way off.

I had just put the pan under it and went off inside to go do different tasks and didn't watch it drain and came back like 10 mins later. Poured it in the container and went on my merry way to finishing up.

I guess it's stuck In back of my brain but I was rushed and it was raining and I was trying to hurry up and get inside!

So I looked as I still had the original new containers that i always put the old oil back into.

Only 5 1/2 ounces of fluid came out of the front diff!!!

I should have noticed immediately but that's what old age and being tired does to you!

I don't have any leaks that I noticed prior and definitely didn't notice any kind of a leak or oil anywhere on the skid plate or the housing that would've been indicative as such.

I firmly believe it came from the factory short.

If I was everybody out there and you haven't done the first service yet, I would immediately check NOW!

I am naturally assuming they put fluids in at the factory and not done at the dealer level??

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think that's on dealer check off too! That's a big number to be off. I haven't went to heavy fluid in the new one but I'll try to do that soon so I can check. Thanks for the heads up

fordraptor

fordraptor

Dec 19, 2015
WV
My 1000 had a bad screaching noise as soon as it warmed up, put it in 4 wheel drive and would go away. two wheel drive and noise was back. I took it back to the dealer with 10 miles on it. the front diff was WAY low, and it was a pre-check. So someone was pencil whipping the pre-check. I was very upset, but they didn't lie, and noted on my honda records that it was missed and should I have any futher problems at anytime with my front diff, it would be repaired at no cost. So far 845 miles and good.

Reactions: dotman1
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 1000 had a bad screaching noise as soon as it warmed up, put it in 4 wheel drive and would go away. two wheel drive and noise was back. I took it back to the dealer with 10 miles on it. the front diff was WAY low, and it was a pre-check. So someone was pencil whipping the pre-check. I was very upset, but they didn't lie, and noted on my honda records that it was missed and should I have any futher problems at anytime with my front diff, it would be repaired at no cost. So far 845 miles and good.

An honest dealer? Even to the point of admitting guilt for a serious issue? They are to be commended.

I did a short stint (6 months) as a service manager at a well known Toyota dealership in Montana. Head Honcho. Just moved there and sick plumbing.

We sold these 130 point inspections for $129.99 I think it was AND all new vehicles delivered went through a very similar check in procedure, as well as a heavily advertised campain that our used vehicles go through yet another similar 130 point inspection...

Every single tech would hand me back the paper in 30 mins or LESS initialed off and this inspection was AT LEAST a 2 hour inspection and they were paid out of the book for 2 hours. (book says 6 hour repair paid for 6 regardless how long it took them and CUSTOMER charged 6...) and this became a MAJOR issue with me.

Im OK with completing the work in 4 hours and being paid for 6 if book called for 6 because you ACTUALLY DID THE WORK. But you have to do it...

I INSISTED the checklists had to be performed correctly and within weeks, I was the most hated man in the entire dealership. No one liked doing those suddenly cuz they couldn't make 2 hrs pay for 30 mins work and were actually stuck with only getting paid 2 hrs for 2 hrs! Horrible huh?

The techs despised me. The parts Dept despised me. Everyone and everybody.

Death threats. Comments about getting my ass kicked. Mysterious mechanical issues happening to my Bronco while AT WORK.

Worked there 3 months until I was well versed enough to start catching all these things. The give away or red flag, as had it not been for their own EXTRA laziness I may have never caught on (I was upfront they were in the back) was most of them didn't even take the time to individually initial but one initial at the top, drew a straight line down to the bottom thru each box and initial again bottom. Guess when you're doing NOTHING but initialing 130 times it gets boring fast!

Then another 3 months of hatred and hell...

My boss, the area service manager over many dealerships didn't care said let it go. So you can imagine as the owners owned Chevy, GMC and other dealerships as well.

Local GM wasn't interested either. Brought issue to OWNERS attention and nothing was done. Threatened to bring it public and Toyota corporate.

I was "relieved of my duties" for "failure to meet expected goals"

Went public anyway and told Toyota. But ya know, Toyota did NOT care, even though they PAID for the new car inspections, cuz at this point, I was a "former, disgruntled employee let go for unsatisfactory reasons" and was lying.

I sued Dealership for a beautiful and rare law on the Montana books that I doubt any other state has called "Wrongful Discharge" The attorney had to dust the book off.

Settled for an undisclosed amount 3 months later :)))$$$. Few times in America the righteous actually won!

Moral of the story? THEY ALL JUST CHECKED IT AND MOVED ON AND WORSE CHARGED YOU FOR THE SERVICE.

Don't trust anyone INCLUDING dealerships. They....just....don't.....care....

Am I shocked my fluid as well as yours was low? Nope. And this was the follow up safety check which means the factory goofed it cuz sure someone over there "checked it off" also.

So you have a double safety net in place and a system that failed twice because no one did the work! Sad..

As with all things you just have to hope the actual tech that did it, did it right.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

I cant speak for every tech out there, but PDI was/is one of the things I take dead serious. Because not only are you showing the customer you care, but if an issue pops up down the road your name is one who it comes back on. We sign our name on the set-up/pdi sheet, so it's no secret who did it.

Reactions: ghost and joeymt33
fordraptor

fordraptor

Dec 19, 2015
WV
Like I said ,I feel lucky, even though someone failed to do their job, the dealership owned it. They could have told me something else was the problem and I would'nt have known any better. Hell, sounded like a bearing to me. The service manager was very embarrassed. So, all in all I was O.K. with the way it ended. But damn, 2 miles on it and problems, I was a little nervous about my purchase to say the least. But more than happy with it now.