P1000 Warn installed. Adding the dual battery set up - re wiring winch

R

raypa

Oct 31, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all. I finally broke down and got the second battery and True isolator. I had my winch installed at the dealer and they used what appears to be the warn wiring harness. I haven't installed the second battery yet, I'm still waiting on parts.

Once installed, how do I rewire the warn wiring harness to pull power from the second battery rather than the main? I didn't see the original harness to know what is stock Honda and what is Warn. I've look through the site but wasn't able to find this exact scenario.

Also, what are yall using to strap the second battery down?

Reactions: sharp and Hondasxs
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello all. I finally broke down and got the second battery and True isolator. I had my winch installed at the dealer and they used what appears to be the warn wiring harness. I haven't installed the second battery yet, I'm still waiting on parts.

Once installed, how do I rewire the warn wiring harness to pull power from the second battery rather than the main? I didn't see the original harness to know what is stock Honda and what is Warn. I've look through the site but wasn't able to find this exact scenario.

Following. I've added the second battery and isolator. Working on my switches today. I think I know what I have to do to switch my winch but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe your post will help me out.

Reactions: sharp and Hondasxs
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Mine is quite loose. Was going to use a rubber strap and self tappers.
Oh I figured that was why you asked, sorry, I was just messing around because mine is so tight....;)

Reactions: sharp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

Hi. To answer this.
Really only the large winch wires needs be moved from the OEM battery to the second battery.
Depending on how its wired. You may just see the one red wire. The black wire may be hooked to the OEM factory winch ground.

I would recomend moving both the large red and large black to the second battery for full circuit isolation upon winch use.

I would not be concerned with the contactor control source as it's small draw.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Nothing. I put some 3/16 dense foam around battery and it is EXTREMELY tight fit.

Reactions: sharp
advertisement
R

raypa

Oct 31, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I may do some plastic pipe strapping in addition. I just ordered the RC 50" DRL. I plan to mount it in front of my window tucked up under the roof ball cap. I didn't buy mounts yet. I want to position it and see where my options are. I "may" drill through the windshield to mount it to the rops. I would leave room so the window can pendulum out for ventilation. We'll see. Too hard to tell until it arrives. (Over $600 later, I'll have a new light.... (crazy))

I'm reading up on the winch wiring today to see what I have to swap. With the factory winch wiring harness, I'll have to separate it to swap the winch only to the new battery. I also bought a fuse block that I'll add at a later date for other stuff once I figure all this out.

R

raypa

Oct 31, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks mjn for the help on this. Here is how I ended up rerouting wires to add the True after my winch was installed by Honda. Please note that I had to swap black and red wires due to length. I black taped my negatives so they didn't look red. Not ideal, but I wasn't going to make more runs to the store.

True Winch1

Reactions: Ar200
SLSHonda

SLSHonda

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2019
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where is everyone getting the wires that go to stinger, Curtis and fuse panel?