P1000 VHF radio kills engine

FarmPNW

FarmPNW

Supporting Member
Jan 11, 2021
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Really weird thing, when I key the mic on the radio the engine just shuts down. I thought it might be a bad radio but I swapped it out for another and same thing. Ive got a dual battery kit and everything is fused and grounded properly.

I there any way this has to do with the antenna? I’ve probably got 20 VHF radio’s on the farm and Ive never seen this before but having said that, I also know very little about them and could totally be installing them wrong all along. Need some help.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Really weird thing, when I key the mic on the radio the engine just shuts down. I thought it might be a bad radio but I swapped it out for another and same thing. Ive got a dual battery kit and everything is fused and grounded properly.

I there any way this has to do with the antenna? I’ve probably got 20 VHF radio’s on the farm and Ive never seen this before but having said that, I also know very little about them and could totally be installing them wrong all along. Need some help.
@Ragnar406

Reactions: FarmPNW and Lady01
Gold-digger

Gold-digger

Mar 12, 2019
Ocean Shores Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Hmm. I wonder if you could install a condenser to the radio chassis like the older style of distributors had . I remember when my condenser went out you could hear it in your raido when you press on the gas. Or try finding a electrical engineer at the local community college and bend his ear I bet he could enlighten you. Please let me know what you come up with

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How is your radio grounded?
Was a new or used cable installed for the antenna?
Where/how is the antenna mounted?

My guess is RF overload is interfering with something in the engine. I’m a ham rookie tho and far from an expert or engineer.

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For what it’s worth, when I installed mine (uhf/vhf 50watt), the antenna is clamped to the rear roll bar, cable runs across the top roll bar (under the roof) to the front roll bar where it enters the “hood area”. My radio has fuses on both positive and negative and are connected through a blue sea system fuse box with negative buss bar. Negative from buss bar goes to Batt#2 and a chassis ground - I did not ground my 2nd battery to the engine.

edit to add:
Double fusing wasn’t needed, however for a cleaner install, all of my accessories are wired the same way. Nothing except the winch is wired direct to the battery.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

@annoyed gave you some good suggestions

to help we are going to need some additional information. Pics if you can take them. Isabel heard of this happening before but I can not remember what the solution or reason was.

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Short answer:

Assuming everything is OK electrically, it could be RF, radio frequency, interference wrecking havoc with the engine electronics. I have a base station system that can fire off all of my smoke detectors at home if I push too much power through my vertical antenna. So if you turn down the power can you transmit and still keep your rig running? Are you use good quality coax with a good shield routed away from the engine electronics? A good Ham could look at your setup and offer advice.

Long answer which can be ignored:

1) Poor SWR, standing wave ratio. This can happen for a number of reasons. Basically a good antenna installation will have an SWR of < 3, most of the current sent to the antenna is radiated outward and is not "reflected back" to the radio. For example, if the antenna is not mounted well above the roll bar, the SWR will be elevated. Or if you are using a mag mount antenna that requires a large metal ground plane and instead mount it on a plastic roof, the SWR will be high. The list of causes of high SWR is almost endless. If you know a knowledgable ham with an SWR meter, they can actually graphically view the SWR from the antenna over various "channels."

2) Common Mode Current: If you are using a 1/2 wave antenna then the coax is acting as a component of the antenna and there can be current traveling down the _outside_ surface of the coax back to the radio. As a Ham Radio operator with a second floor shack with an end fed antenna I have actually receive an electrical "bite" when touching the chassis of a radio due to such common mode currents. Grounding the antenna to a metal chassis can provide a route for the current away from the radio. "Choking" the current _near_ the antenna feed point can help. A simple UHF VHF choke is to wind some coax in a loop 5Xs into about a 4 inch loop.

3) Using a dummy load: A ham friend may have a simple dummy load which is used in place of the antenna for a test. Dummy loads basically absorb all of the rf energy and converts it to heat. They often produce an SWR of nearly one. So if your system works fine with a dummy load the problem is unlikely to be the radio or related to the electrical system.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FWIW,
I just recently figured out my radio was killing my battery tender jr chargers when I used the radio in the garage.. killed 3 of them before I figured it out..slow learner, I guess.

I no longer use my radio in the garage.
I might add a chassis ground to the radio for good measure.
JMO

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB and Lady01
D

DenMachine

I don't know what power your radio (vhf) is putting out to the antenna. But I'm a radio amateur and have my 50 watt radio in my machine. It operates on the VHF freq both 2 meter ham band and the public radio bands, (FRS). I don't have any problem. I only use a rubber ducky style antenna so I know the match to the radio is not good. (called the SWR , standing wave radio). I'm am also running two batteries in series without an isolator. But from my 50 years experience with mobile radio problems, I would certainly look at proper grounding of both radio and its antenna, when it comes to engine computer problems, (ECU). Maybe just moving antenna would do the trick. Torride chokes would be another way of eliminating this problem. Both on the coax cable to antenna and DC power to the radio. See Amazon for these making sure they are for your VHF frequencies. Hope this helps.

FarmPNW

FarmPNW

Supporting Member
Jan 11, 2021
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you everyone for the great advice. I’m going to try and move the antenna. It’s mounted below the roof on the rear roll bar and then the cable runs down and under along the frame so I’m betting there is a computer that isn’t happy it’s down there somewhere.
I’m limited on space to roof mount because I’ve already got a bunch of crap up there already including the GPS antenna so I’ll have to find a spot toward the back!

647DA0F3 4BF7 4ABE 9112 529E8DEFF934 82982FA6 D569 46AE A439 B0600CC0310F A52CCF76 E639 4731 92D1 A029EFEAFBBC 876E1EF1 0717 4318 B98D 4862FCCEE66F

Reactions: JAL and TripleB
advertisement
annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would try to mount it higher for a few reasons, better reception and the whole microwaving your brain thing.

I used zip ties and gaffing tape to run it along the upper ROPS and down the a-pillar. If antenna height vs garage is an issue, diamond makes a good NMO antenna that folds at the base, that’s what I use.

Reactions: FarmPNW