P1000m5 Using winch LE would die when trying to shift

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
I was cutting and hauling firewood when I got a tree hung up. So I decided to hook the winch up and drag it down. After I got the tree down I went to put the buggy in gear and it would die. I thought okay I drained the battery some so it let it run a while and tried to move it again. The park indicator was flashing a dash- tried to put it in gear and it still dies. It would fire right up in park or neutral. I was a quite a ways in the woods and was wondering what my next move would be. Decided to try disconnecting the battery and hooking it back up and it worked fine. Has anyone have this happen before? Do I need another battery? I also have been using the winch to lift my plow up and down. No other accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you get in the situation again, and I hope you do not, please whip your phone out and video the dash. It will usually throw some codes to help with diagnosis. Do not turn the key off until you have roughly one minute of video. That should be enough to record most codes.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Havent had any issues related to this type of thing but it appears to be very common with high draw on the battery. One big problem with using electronics.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Maybe a 4D battery would help those that are looking for the severe situations and lots of winching

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Maybe a 4D battery would help those that are looking for the severe situations and lots of winching

I was told to go to secondary battery with isolator for all accessories Seems to work very well so far. I installed two volt meters to monitor voltage on both batteries, like I was told to do and my primary battery stays the same voltage all the time, even running accessories. There are some great threads here for all this stuff!

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
I suppose I’ll have to go to dual battery’s. I know a lot of pioneer 1000 people have gone this route.
Just to bad you have to add another battery on a new machine in order to use a winch!

Last edited:
D

Dasmoeturhead

I've got a question. Do the Honda ATV's (4 Wheelers) have a problem with this same battery problem when they use their winch? Never owned one, and I don't really read anything about them. It seems a lot of them have a winch, and I bet the battery is even smaller than a pioneer's battery. I can also imagine trying to shoehorn a second battery in a ATV would be near impossible.
I don't have a dual battery setup yet, and I plow a little bit. Never had a problem yet, but like I said I don't plow that much
Maybe an hour at a time.
That second battery spot on the pioneer is awful suspicious. Like Honda knew something. Maybe they should let customers know they need a 2nd battery if their going to plow, or load up with lots of electronic stuff. IDK.

J

JTW

Sounds like you need a second battery... when you were winching did you put it in neutral and run the rpms up or just let it idle?

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Sounds like you need a second battery... when you were winching did you put it in neutral and run the rpms up or just let it idle?

No,I left it in park but Reved the engine slightly.

Reactions: JTW
advertisement
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got a question. Do the Honda ATV's (4 Wheelers) have a problem with this same battery problem when they use their winch? Never owned one, and I don't really read anything about them. It seems a lot of them have a winch, and I bet the battery is even smaller than a pioneer's battery. I can also imagine trying to shoehorn a second battery in a ATV would be near impossible.
I don't have a dual battery setup yet, and I plow a little bit. Never had a problem yet, but like I said I don't plow that much
Maybe an hour at a time.
That second battery spot on the pioneer is awful suspicious. Like Honda knew something. Maybe they should let customers know they need a 2nd battery if their going to plow, or load up with lots of electronic stuff. IDK.
The transmission and the heavy inclusion of electronic controls is what makes us run a second battery. The discharge of the battery while winching really messes with the transmission and creates problems as the OP noticed.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It looks like there is a market for a high output stator for these machines if someone would build it.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Maybe an hour at a time.
I was going to put a winch, and plow on mine, I got a quote from the dealer, they recommend installing a second battery. He said because of the draw of the winch, it can cause voltage to drop to much and cause problems with elctronics. I used his advice and installed second battery, and isolater that others used on here my self, saved about $400. Works fine. Hope that helps.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Bit the bullet and ordered a isolator and a battery. Thanks Honda for nickel and dimeing me!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I suppose I’ll have to go to dual battery’s. I know a lot of pioneer 1000 people have gone this route.

There's some threads here that will tell you the make and model numbers you will need for all the equipment. I think I have $ 300 to $ 400 in my battery, fuse panel, isolator, toggle switches, volt meters, toggle switch panel and wiring.
Are the wires in this kit long enough True UTV-SBI-15CM UTV Dual Battery Connect & Monitor Kit | TrueAm Dual Battery Isolator System

I read the lengths and it looks good.

J

JTW

Bit the bullet and ordered a isolator and a battery. Thanks Honda for nickel and dimeing me!

These things are good at that... and honestly. Honda has perfected that across their sxs lines

Reactions: Smitty335
Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
There's some threads here that will tell you the make and model numbers you will need for all the equipment. I think I have $ 300 to $ 400 in my battery, fuse panel, isolator, toggle switches, volt meters, toggle switch panel and wiring.

I read the lengths and it looks good.

That I did, searched the forums and found what a lot of guy were using. I ordered an Odyssey Pc925,True UTV sbi15cm isolator kit and the L terminal kit for the Odyssey. Thanks to this forum for all the informative posts!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That I did, searched the forums and found what a lot of guy were using. I ordered an Odyssey Pc925,True UTV sbi15cm isolator kit and the L terminal kit for the Odyssey. Thanks to this forum for all the informative posts!

Your way ahead by using the info.

advertisement