P1000 Using a lot of coolant and don't see a leak.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well, I had an overheating problem last week and thought it was just my neglect not checking the overflow. I filled the tank and "burped" the system, all seemed good till today, and again, I was out of anti-freeze! Not seeing a leak anywhere and I do smell coolant when the machine is hot and the fan turns on. I have been idling a lot lately using my Wet Sounds sound bar and subwoofer to keep the batteries charged, I wonder if that has anything to do with running hot?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Have you not set the display on water temperature and monitor it's status? It should stay in 2 bars warmed up, if really working it hard may the third bar on and off. The over temp light should be coming on red before the 4th bar lights up.

I would be checking for leaks via loose clamps etc. throughout the cooling loop. It may still not be completely burped and it could the glitch where you turn it off and back on then the fan runs correctly.

Reactions: SuperDutyJohn
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
If you're smelling antifreeze, in the cab, when the fan is running, you might have a tiny leak in your radiator, that will only leak when hot, so no drops on the floor. When it's up to temp, shine a bright flashlight around both sides of the rad, you might see steam coming out.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Have you not set the display on water temperature and monitor it's status? It should stay in 2 bars warmed up, if really working it hard may the third bar on and off. The over temp light should be coming on red before the 4th bar lights up.

I would be checking for leaks via loose clamps etc. throughout the cooling loop. It may still not be completely burped and it could the glitch where you turn it off and back on then the fan runs correctly.
The display never goes above two bars and I've never seen the red over heat light on.

I'm thinking its excessive idle time, I don't see it riding, only when the fan comes on and off a lot stationary.
I did the same thing with my 2016 P1K way more during the winter and it never had a problem in two years.

Reactions: JACKAL
SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If you're smelling antifreeze, in the cab, when the fan is running, you might have a tiny leak in your radiator, that will only leak when hot, so no drops on the floor. When it's up to temp, shine a bright flashlight around both sides of the rad, you might see steam coming out.
I was worried about that as well....

Or, maybe a bad radiator cap?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
The display never goes above two bars and I've never seen the red over heat light on.

I'm thinking its excessive idle time, I don't see it riding, only when the fan comes on and off a lot stationary.
I did the same thing with my 2016 P1K way more during the winter and it never had a problem in two years.

Ok, good info. My 2016 never had overheating issues except after not cleaning mud out radiator and even then after working very hard. My 2018 overheated once in a 20 min easy trail ride, as fan didn't kick on, turned machine off, turned key back on fan started running cooling it down. Never happened since.

If you are smelling antifreeze definitely has a leak somewhere. Those lines run under the floorboards and very hard to see or reach without disassembly. Might park machine on clean level concrete and eyeball everything closely while idling. See if anything drips from the machine.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, I had an overheating problem last week and thought it was just my neglect not checking the overflow. I filled the tank and "burped" the system, all seemed good till today, and again, I was out of anti-freeze! Not seeing a leak anywhere and I do smell coolant when the machine is hot and the fan turns on. I have been idling a lot lately using my Wet Sounds sound bar and subwoofer to keep the batteries charged, I wonder if that has anything to do with running hot?
Now when you say you're out of anti freeze I assume you mean the reservoir is empty not the entire system.

I've had 2 pioneers and neither one have ever gotten hot. When I use it a lot at the farm I let it idle a lot when going back and forth because I hate turning it off and on.

You should be able to idle for days and not get hot.

Check your oil. Take the skids off and check entire coolant system for leaks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
On the 500's, there was an issue with a hose clamp being left loose where it connects to the water pump. I know you have a 1000, but you might check those hose connections and make sure the clamps are all tight.

advertisement
SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Now when you say you're out of anti freeze I assume you mean the reservoir is empty not the entire system.

I've had 2 pioneers and neither one have ever gotten hot. When I use it a lot at the farm I let it idle a lot when going back and forth because I hate turning it off and on.

You should be able to idle for days and not get hot.

Check your oil. Take the skids off and check entire coolant system for leaks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I was hot one time, no red light, just saw anti-freeze puking out and pulled over and noticed my reservoir was out. I filled it and burped it and all was good. I idled my 2016 forever, for over two years and never a problem. I'm doing the same practice with my lifted machine for three months and it's using coolant in the reservoir. No overheating, just using coolant, I have to fill it. The oil is good.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
On the 500's, there was an issue with a hose clamp being left loose where it connects to the water pump. I know you have a 1000, but you might check those hose connections and make sure the clamps are all tight.
I will check that tomorrow

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a leak last time I took the 1000-3eps out for a 3 mile uphill climb. Looked everywhere, had coolant in mid body. put on ramps and let it idle till I could see coolant dripping. Turned out the radiator cap was not all the way on. Used needle nose pliers to twist all the way on. Stopped leak. Haven't had an issue since. Don't know why it started leaking now. Been running it all summer with no leaks and not touching the radiator cap since last year.