P1000 Upgraded Springs on Stock Deluxe 1000-5 Shocks

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for input, I have added enough accessories and equipment to my Pioneer to make the suspension sag (lose of ground clearance and horrible ride). I would love to buy new shocks but those are just not in the budget right now. I have read about replacing the factor springs with heaver rated springs. I have found a some on different websites for a couple of $100, but I can't find any reviews on them.

Has anyone done this or would recommend what to do? I hate to waste money on stiffer springs and still be unhappy, and then I am even further behind on upgrading the factor shocks.

Thanks for any input, and if I have missed a previous post about this just point me in the right direction. I searched and I can find post about replacing the Fox spring but not the deluxe setup.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well my man, I have done just about everything imaginable with my stockers right in to my Fox’s since 16’ that many have on this site. I have never seen or even knew anyone who changed springs on stockers! IMO by the time you find something and putting the time into it, you've waisted your money cuz u still have a stocker and the stock valving. know matter what you do with a stocker the rough ride will be the same or worse. bottom line is if you added a bunch of stuff to be like the rest and didnt put anything into the shocks like a full upgrade, your gonna be hard pressed to achieve what your asking. IMO your best bet if u want to stick with the stockers is to do a spacer. Its cheap and will gain u some hight And MIGHT help with that weight but in the end u still have a stocker! Good luck!

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i think the only thing i would consider with the stock shocks is adding a spacer to increase preload. this may bring the ride height back but will make the ride quality worse.
i know i have seen that somewhere on the forum. might be titled something like "homemade lift"??

Otherwise - go for a good set of shocks, you wont be sorry.
If you get the Elkas (I went w the S3's), you can specify the extra weight you have and get the springs right on the first go. I messed this up on mine and had to order a stiffer set of springs after the fact.
Im not sure but i dont think you can get stiffer springs on the initial purchase of the Fox shocks. Someone else may be able to help with that.

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. Yall are good at spending my money. Now it is back to trying to figure out which shock is right for me. We mostly ride slow tight trails from TN to the swamps in FL.

Been reading up on 814's, Walker Evans, Elks, and Bandit. Prices seem to be Ll over too.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yall are good at spending my money.

It's what we do. 😃

Skip the 814s. They're just a universal shock with a limiter strap. They used to be a cheaper way in, but not anymore.

There's a good deal on Fox, search the threads. Although if you re-spring them, you're in Elka money anyway.

Standard shocks are just bad.

B

bullyx

Mar 20, 2016
new york
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's what we do. 😃

Skip the 814s. They're just a universal shock with a limiter strap. They used to be a cheaper way in, but not anymore.

There's a good deal on Fox, search the threads. Although if you re-spring them, you're in Elka money anyway.

Standard shocks are just bad.
Shoot.. was saving on a set of 814s too.
I will say shocks are game changer. I put money into my sleds shocks before clutching or anything else...hope by spring I'll be set to order something as my deluxe needs to improve.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Any suggestions on specs and vendor for upgrading the springs on Fox QS3 rear shocks? Ive added 250 lbs of equipment in the bed and think I need some heavier springs.

Reactions: 05Willys and Lady01
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Looking for input, I have added enough accessories and equipment to my Pioneer to make the suspension sag (lose of ground clearance and horrible ride). I would love to buy new shocks but those are just not in the budget right now. I have read about replacing the factor springs with heaver rated springs. I have found a some on different websites for a couple of $100, but I can't find any reviews on them.

Has anyone done this or would recommend what to do? I hate to waste money on stiffer springs and still be unhappy, and then I am even further behind on upgrading the factor shocks.

Thanks for any input, and if I have missed a previous post about this just point me in the right direction. I searched and I can find post about replacing the Fox spring but not the deluxe setup.
Best plan of action is to just save up and buy the Fox QS3 shocks when it's financially doable for you. Believe me, the ride improvement is worth every penny.

advertisement
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Prntckt Your springs will be 14" length, 3" diameter, and the weight you choose.

Your standard fox springs are progressive 187/350 lbs (assuming 1000-5) so you can go up from there.

You can also use 2.5" diameter springs if you remove the mud sleeves.

Vendors include Summit auto, Dave's off-road supply, amazon, jegs, etc.

A lot of info in the New Springs for your Fox Shocks thread

Reactions: 05Willys and Lady01
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is a great read with lots of good information on how to set up your springs and shocks.

I think the only part that is hard to figure out is the correct spring rate to purchase based on the weight of you machine.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I think the only part that is hard to figure out is the correct spring rate to purchase based on the weight of you machine.
Dont overthink it. unless your making a long travel kit and racing your P1. 99% of the upgraded springs that have been done on fox’s will b fine for most P1 needs with all types of loads. just add some pre load to adjust for your liking.

Reactions: Lady01 and 05Willys
Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dont overthink it. unless your making a long travel kit and racing your P1. 99% of the upgraded springs that have been done on fox’s will b fine for most P1 needs with all types of loads. just add some pre load to adjust for your liking.
Good point, I am probably way over thinking. I just don't want to waste money on spring rates.

Does anyone know what spring rates the WalkerEvans shocks come with? These seem like a better deal vs the fox that you then have to update the springs to a single rate. Or am I over looking something.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Good point, I am probably way over thinking. I just don't want to waste money on spring rates.

Does anyone know what spring rates the WalkerEvans shocks come with? These seem like a better deal vs the fox that you then have to update the springs to a single rate. Or am I over looking something.

Not sure what they are? Im sure there not rated for more load if thats what your after? most aftermarket shocks are made to improve your ride with different rebound rates. WE makes a nice more options for rebound shock. But there a bit more money than fox’s. the Fox’s are your best bang for your buck IMO and u can upgrade springs and other things yourself. there is alot of aftermarket springs available for them. I would just get the shock you want, ride with them for a while adding pre load here and there then decide if u even need a spring upgrade. I rode mine that way for 3 yrs before changing things in the machine that needed different springs.
Internet and social media is a great tool for the most part, but sometimes too many opinions cloud the mind! Lol

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
@Prntckt Your springs will be 14" length, 3" diameter, and the weight you choose.

Your standard fox springs are progressive 187/350 lbs (assuming 1000-5) so you can go up from there.

You can also use 2.5" diameter springs if you remove the mud sleeves.

Vendors include Summit auto, Dave's off-road supply, amazon, jegs, etc.

A lot of info in the New Springs for your Fox Shocks thread
Exactly what I was looking for. I’ll spend some time studying the information, suggestions, and the thread. Thanks!

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I bet the bullet and purchased a new set of Fox QS3 that @TripleB posted. I took my Pioneer to the COOP and weighted it and it ways 2300lbs. I guess all the accessories I have added and tools that I carry. Then you add another 600 in passengers and a cooler. What single spring rate would you all recommend?