P1000 True volt meter HELP

JAXXER

JAXXER

Jun 9, 2020
LAS VEGAS
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Good evening all, if anyone can chime in I would appreciate it. I have the true dual voltmeter isolator system everything works except for the voltmeter. Here we go:
I have the key acc power running to the stinger which feeds my fuse panel, I have a switch and usb and lights connected and they all work fine. So the panel works and is getting power. I took the relay which came with the isolator kit for dual battery wires the red to the fuse panel. Wired the black ground wire from the relay to the ground of the fuse panel. I have the dark green wire connected the the back of the voltmeter gold or negative connector. The light blue and green are attached to the silver ones- and the same wires are on the isolator blue on one green on the other. Turn on the bike nothing happens all other acc work great. When I ground it(bike on or off)the voltmeter comes on so it can illuminate. Can there be to Many grounds connected? Is that even a thing? The 2020 bike comes with an extra ground I attached that wire directly to the 2nd battery(don’t think it matters, but at my wits end with this right about now lol) thanks to any and all that can give me some electrical wisdom- I need it
Cheers

Reactions: TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good evening all, if anyone can chime in I would appreciate it. I have the true dual voltmeter isolator system everything works except for the voltmeter. Here we go:
I have the key acc power running to the stinger which feeds my fuse panel, I have a switch and usb and lights connected and they all work fine. So the panel works and is getting power. I took the relay which came with the isolator kit for dual battery wires the red to the fuse panel. Wired the black ground wire from the relay to the ground of the fuse panel. I have the dark green wire connected the the back of the voltmeter gold or negative connector. The light blue and green are attached to the silver ones- and the same wires are on the isolator blue on one green on the other. Turn on the bike nothing happens all other acc work great. When I ground it(bike on or off)the voltmeter comes on so it can illuminate. Can there be to Many grounds connected? Is that even a thing? The 2020 bike comes with an extra ground I attached that wire directly to the 2nd battery(don’t think it matters, but at my wits end with this right about now lol) thanks to any and all that can give me some electrical wisdom- I need it
Cheers
Do u have the extra key on ground wire connected to anything? Same color as the 1 u have running to the volt meter.

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
@Hondasxs He can help you.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm used to switching the Hot side of a circuit with a ground standing on the far side of the accessory, VM in this case. But, since the VM is connected directly to both batteries (always Hot and light blue and light green in this drawing) we have to switch the Ground side of the circuit, that's why the relay is provided. The first check in this case would be to ground the VM directly, to the left most terminal of the 3 in this drawing (hard to see dark green). That eliminates everything and checks the function of the VM.

If the VM works, all you have to do is get Ground to, and through, the relay instead of the usual 12 volts.

I TSvZc63 XL

Last edited:
JAXXER

JAXXER

Jun 9, 2020
LAS VEGAS
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Yes if I wire it directly the VM comes on and stays on weather the bike is on or off

Reactions: CID
JAXXER

JAXXER

Jun 9, 2020
LAS VEGAS
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
I have the red to the fuse panel and the black to the fuse panel from the relay still no dice- it’s like there is no ground going to the VM

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hang tight, someone with more ideas will be along shortly.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If u have both of those green wires hooked up, thats your problem. 1 is a extra. Tape it up and you're done.

JAXXER

JAXXER

Jun 9, 2020
LAS VEGAS
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Only one is hooked up the other is just free hanging

I call myself following directions and diagrams pretty well, however, I can’t figure it out. Still not working :(

advertisement
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I call myself following directions and diagrams pretty well, however, I can’t figure it out. Still not working :(
The only other thing I can think of is, make sure the relay is plugged into the wie harness good. I have the true isolator kit on 2 different machines and the 2nd 1 I put on, the volt meter wouldn't come on. I thought the relay was bad. I swapped it out with the known good relay from my othe machine and the volt meter came on. I put the relay i thought was bad back on my other machine and it was working also. So I had to have a bad connection and I just couldn't tell it. That was 7 months ago and it still working now. Hope its something simple. Good luck.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
You should have Ground standing on both terminals the black wires go to - these are easily reachable with a VM's probe. Make sure it's there. With power on you should have 12 volts at the red wire terminal, if so, you should have ground at the Green wire terminal. If not, the relay is bad. Although the relay is the standard automotive configuration, it's been sealed to make it water proof - so you can use any relay for testing but should find another sealed relay for replacement if that's the problem.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya. you just need to test it then work back to find the problem. It's really not that confusing once you understand it. Usually, the problem is an incorrect connection.

You should be able to feel/hear the relay click.
Test this. Just hook black to ground and red to positive. It should click ON.
Dont worry about the other wires for now.

If it clicks... then install it as the directions show.
Black - Frame ground
Red - any true Positive to test it.
Green - 1 to the gold post. tape the other off.
Silver post on VM - To a positive.

Reactions: TripleB
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Did you get it working?????

JAXXER

JAXXER

Jun 9, 2020
LAS VEGAS
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Taking any help I can get.
The relay clicks when I hook to secondary battery (nothing else attached.
When I run a separate wire ground to VM (without relay ) the VM come on and shows the volts.
When I hook relay directly to battery for power - and black to ground - and green to VM I get nothing no readout
I have put positive wire from relay to the 15amp black and white wire off the acccessory fuse (said it was key on) and still nothing?
Anyone what am I missing??

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't know what you know about wiring so let's start at the beginning - with everything hooked up and key off - with an ohm meter or test light, do you have ground on both terminals of the relay with black wires (one is jumpered)? The terminals are easy to reach with probes (where the wire connects) on my True relay.

Electricity 101 - test light, connect one end to 12 volts, stick the other end on both ground terminals of the relay, it should light up on both terminals.
Voltmeter on OHM setting (upside down U with feet symbol) - touch the two probes together, the meter needle should move to the right (if analog). The display on a digital VM (set to OHMS) should change when you touch the probes together, it should do the same when both ends are connected to ground.

When I was adding a power buss to my Talon, I tried using a winch contactor mounting screw for a test ground, it didn't work - so make sure your ground source is really ground.

If you have ground at both black wire terminals, turn the key on, relay clicks - if the relay is making connection internally, there will now be ground on the green wire's terminal. Just because you can hear the relay click, that doesn't mean it's working internally. You can use any automotive relay for testing or a temporary replacement, it doesn't have to be a sealed one from True.

My True relay and plug has easy access to the terminals, I'm guessing yours does too. 🤔
I 6qHSSfc XL

JAXXER

JAXXER

Jun 9, 2020
LAS VEGAS
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the info- I texted the relay as you stated and I get power when touch the black single and the jumper black wire when I touch the green I get no movement or power? Does that mean a bad relay? And yes my electrician skill is 6 out 10 lol

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok, first thing I need to know is what kind of tester you're using so I don't have to give 3 explanations, one for each tester type.

If you're using a voltmeter, is it digital (numbers readout) or analog (moving needle readout)?

Or are you using a test light (clip on a wire and pointed handle with a light)?

Again, I'm not trying to be condescending but doing this through the internet adds in tons of complexity.

An example would be that you didn't get power from either black lead, those are supposed to be Ground, the Power (12 volts) had to come from the other end. You said 'movement' - are you using a voltmeter (VM) with a needle?

JAXXER

JAXXER

Jun 9, 2020
LAS VEGAS
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Using this, I was just saying when I use the red handle to the relay and then touch the black wires in the relay I get power ( both the jumper and single ports are active ) however, when I touch the green nothing happens this is when key power source is on. 100% certain power is going to my blue sea fuse panel the usb charger and the winch work without flaw as well as the light bar, I just can’t figure this darn dual voltmeter to save my life. And thank you for your insight I will take any and all I can get

8347E836 FD3A 46FB 81DA 69B87439BFD5

advertisement