P500 Transmission Issue

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I had an issue the other day going up a steep hill carrying about 550lbs (two people and cargo). I was going slow lugging the machine in 2nd gear and it felt like it popped out of gear and right back in. It happened really quick and then did it again on the same hill. This is the first time I've had it do something like that.

When I got to the top of the hill I dropped all my cargo and tried it again, this time really getting after it, pedal to the floor in 3rd gear and it didnt do it again. I was thinking maybe my hand or shirt sleeve caught the shift paddle, not sure. I had also changed the oil to Rotella syn T6 recently at my 100mile service so I was thinking about going back to GN4 to see if that helped.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this problem?

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
I had an issue the other day going up a steep hill carrying about 550lbs (two people and cargo). I was going slow lugging the machine in 2nd gear and it felt like it popped out of gear and right back in. It happened really quick and then did it again on the same hill. This is the first time I've had it do something like that.

When I got to the top of the hill I dropped all my cargo and tried it again, this time really getting after it, pedal to the floor in 3rd gear and it didnt do it again. I was thinking maybe my hand or shirt sleeve caught the shift paddle, not sure. I had also changed the oil to Rotella syn T6 recently at my 100mile service so I was thinking about going back to GN4 to see if that helped.

Under that heavy of a load and up a steep maybe use the LOW gear.

CBC89

CBC89

Aug 8, 2015

I have not experience this climbing a hill, but mine has felt like it missed a gear and caught one day like you decribed. I believe there is a thread on here on how to adjust the clutch. This seems to be the issue from what I read.

CBC89

CBC89

Aug 8, 2015
I have not experience this climbing a hill, but mine has felt like it missed a gear and caught one day like you decribed. I believe there is a thread on here on how to adjust the clutch. This seems to be the issue from what I read.
5th gear slip

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
UPDATE: I just adjusted the clutch and wow what a difference. This thing shifts much better. Cant believe I waited so long to adjust it because it always shifted a little funny, thought it just needed breaking in. It took me 2-3 min to do it and it was way off, almost 1/4 turn off from the factory.

Reactions: Talen and scottp500